Bears release Chris Williams, Marcus Thigpen also cut

:thup:

Great player…but Zero respect for him.

You might want/not want Williams but, other teams would give him a good contract in a minute.

I can’t say I’m pleased with what he did. But I also can’t say with certainty that I wouldn’t be tempted to do the same thing in a similar situation.

Sorry…he signed the contract…he is not a man of any honor. I have more pride in myself to pull something like that. I think most people do. He left a big black eye on the CFL as he spit on the contract that even gave him a shot in the NFL.

More like a black eye on himself.

pretty big shiner for the league if he returns…kinda sends out a signal saying look…it doesn’t matter what you do…walk on em, they will always take you back if you have skill.

Williams won't end up with Hamilton, he'll try the NFL teams and maybe practice squad if picked up, if he returns to the CFL his rights we'll be traded to a Western Team, my guess Calgary, BC maybe Sask if it came to that point based on potential talent and interest in certain players who Kent Austin had previous experience with.

Marcus Thigpen might return to the CFL once he has tried other NFL teams and if not signed. Thigpen's rights are open in the CFL, although I think Hamilton would offer a very good salary.

I don’t begrudge a player a chance at the NFL, but a contract MUST be honoured and there are things built into the CBA for this situation. Follow the rules that are laid out and I would welcome a player back. Bite the hand that feeds you because you are better than the game and I would turn my back on him no matter how good he is. Who’s to say he wouldn’t walk away from a valid contract again if he felt it was best “for him”. No team needs that kind of player no matter how talented he is.

So you’re saying that a person working a minimum wage job who has a chance to land a job making $100/hour, but only if he can start tomorrow, should turn it down because his current employment contract says he has to give two weeks notice?

As I said, I don’t know that I wouldn’t have done the same thing as Williams did. Not saying I would have, but just that I don’t know I wouldn’t have.

not the most applicable analogy CFO, as Williams sat out an entire year of his contract not a mere two weeks of notice, and it’s not as if he was making legal minimum wages working at WalMart or MacDonald’s.
(not that there’s anything wrong with that)

either way, a contract is a contract and one should never sign a legally binding document if not prepared to honor the terms of the agreement.

Wow, some of you should take formal membership in a religion that worships The Contract. Because apparently the contract is God and can do no wrong. Thou shalt not sin against The Contract. :lol:

Contracts can be exploitative and unfair. Williams got out of his contract legally, the same way a team can get out of a contract legally by releasing a player the second his performance slips or he becomes a five-year veteran. Yet the individual is vilified, while the team is praised for just doing business?

I don't get it.

It’s a completely apt analogy from a contract perspective. In both situations, the person has signed a contract with terms restricting his ability to leave his position. In both cases, the person has an opportunity to make ten times what he is currently making, but only if he leaves his current position before the contract allows. In both cases, the person breaks those terms. The main difference, aside from the size of the money involved, is that Williams then went on to challenge the contract in the courts, finally settling out of court.

True, Williams wasn’t making minimum wage. But from a football player’s perspective, he was making minimum wage - $50K/year. Pretty good money for some people, but compared to other professional football players, especially one of his abilities, not very good at all. So again, a completely apt analogy.

Yes, everyone blames Williams because he sat out and went to the NFL. Austin said he went for dinner with CW and there was no animosity. It’s all about the agent advising a player what to do. The agent told CW he could make more money in the NFL and he better sit out the season to make it happen. CW’s contract went before a judge and they sided with CW, it happens the judge didn’t think it was a fair contract.
Contracts are challenged, broken altered all the time. I have seen people sign contracts with a company and then the company has to layoff workers or shut down. It happens all the time.

[b]slimjim wrote: CW's contract went before a judge and they sided with CW, it happens the judge didn't think it was a fair contract.[/b]
actually the judge stated that the option year notification mailed to Williams was too ambiguous, [b]not[/b] that she thought it unfair. The Cats then planned to take the case to the Appellate Courts before striking a deal with CW in order to retain his CFL rights.

the point is, that nobody should sign a legal document if they are not willing to fulfill it’s terms.
yes, throughout history contracts have been known to be breached although this does not entitle the delinquent total absolution from clear contractual obligations.

why bother having binding agreements at all if they are not enforcible in a court of law?

I suspect Chris Williams will be put on injury reserves or hit a practice roster the minute he's healthy enough. I really don't think we will see him in the CFL at least until next year.

I suspect Chris Williams will be put on injury reserves or hit a practice roster the minute he's healthy enough. I really don't think we will see him in the CFL at least until next year.

I think you are probably right on the money with the CW situation. He likely will not see the CFL this season. With the injury hanging over his head he may not pass any CFL physical and if he cannot play this CFL season would affect a CFL club from even wanting to sign him this season.
With the NFL season just beginning he may be more likely to get an NFL offer at some point. Could be early if the Bears wait him to clear waivers and could re sign him and place him on the IR. Or a bit later securing a PR roster spot depending on his injury status.
Thigpen playing out his rookie contract in the NFL, being released from the Dolphins to make room for a balance of rookie players on an NFL roster. Thigpen cannot sign a PR contract and has made solid $$$ for three seasons can afford to wait out a best situation for himself for CFL or NFL.
He is still young enough and is still a proven returner and Hybrid player on offense so he still has a lot of value as a football player.
I am not sure the Bears are happy with their returner situation. The Bears could be one of several NFL clubs who could be interested.
Not all CFL clubs would be interested if their return game is already fairly secure and he would have to fit onto a CFL roster as a DI

Was Williams re-injured? He played in the game Thursday. If not, why would he be on the injury reserve< except maybe to protect his rights. Also, not sure how injury reserves work in the NFL, but given that he was released by the Bears, is that still an option? PR I could see, possibly still with the Bears. He will more than likely try that as far as it takes him before coming back to the CFL - worked for him last year.

Time to come home.

I have not heard anything about his plans yet. The cats
Still hold his CFL rights for the 2014 season. IMHO his nfl hopes are pretty much over. Anyone think we will see him somewhere in Canada in 2015?