BCE, Rogers, L.T., and MLSE News

Unlike Bell (BCE), Rogers stock is basically flat since they bought the Argos a year ago - not that buying the Argos would make any difference (smile).
The Argos are a smaller line item on the ledger sheet for MLSE, take a couple of Leafs players or an extra is the entire Argos salaries. Tavares, 7 year contract worth $77 mill, well I guess that basically says where the Argos line item is compared with the Leafs. The Argos give MLSE the impression of Canadiana without having to put a whole heck of a lot of money towards the team with the CFL cap. It's Canadiana "feel good" stuff, excellent for image and all of that. But make no mistake, if an NFL team is in the vicinity of actually being able to acquire a team, MLSE will have their tentacles probing without doubt.

Make no mistake about it. Government will intervene in any NFL Canada attempt.

Everyone knows Bell, Rogers, Banks, education, manufacturing, energy etc etc are FULLY protected by government legislation. No outside force can touch them.

They will not let a Canadian institution like the CFL be harmed. Also NFL will not allow this and will not want any attempt, broadcast through media that the Canadian government blocked a Canadian franchise. F anybody that doesn’t agree

If Bell and Rogers start to cry then let the big U.S. carriers come in and crush them. Any harm to the CFL and it will go right down to the minor leagues. You can kiss all of it goodbye.

Of course they will cry, that's what big companies with little integrity as some might say except to the almighty dollar, do. :-\

If there was no CanCon I doubt the CFL or the Blue Jays would even exist to this day.

You really think your gov. will block the NFL?

It was time to do some rereading.

Mr. Lalonde, a Montreal-based lawyer who continues to work in international commercial arbitration, is not sure the government would be allowed to table a bill like the Canadian Football Act under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

“It’s more and more difficult to introduce restrictive measures in terms of employment in the North American market,? he said. “People don’t come as immigrants — you’ve got a lot of Canadians playing hockey in the States and a lot of Americans playing in the Canadian Football League.?

yes they will block it. the government won’t give a shit about any legal challenge and why should they. they have nothing to fear. They will have most of the population of Canada on side and would never side with Rogers. They will bring tremendous pressure on any corporation testing them. It was tabled the last time. Canadian Government will look at the big picture and the will of the people over corporations. something Rogers will never do. Another major point is how would Rogers ever explain their bullshit again to the rest of the country. They wouldn’t be able to.

The NEW world order. Trump has shown the way, does he give a shit about any agreements or laws? No he doesn’t. our’s will do the same.

If the NFL wanted to be in Canada, they’d be here by now. They are not interested.

Toronto can't build an NFL stadium, can't be done. So it's all a mute point if the NFL wants to be in Toronto or not. Game is over.

“Moot”. :slight_smile:

Ok Kevin, you got me there I'll admit.

:wink:

BCE announced its earnings, today. BCE beat estimates and, as a result, the stock is up 2% - keeping in mind that BCE is down almost 20% in 2018.

BCE did NOT increase their dividend. >:(

BCE finished the day up $2.51 (4.93%).

Matthew Dolgin, analyst at Morningstar, backs what I have been saying...

The Jays are no where near as profitable as people think and the only real value is in...

i) getting the TV content cheap and
ii) selling the team at a profit - assuming they can find someone willing to buy.

Running a MLB franchise is expensive!

Not all that valuable for Rogers to own the Blue Jays: Analyst

If I was Rogers I'd dump them and just keep naming the Rogers Centre as such, it has to be a headache for them to run the team I would say. They'll still get their "branding" with keeping their name on the stadium.

But can they even sell them for a half-decent price? My guess, no buyers. Rogers is stuck with the team, like it or lump it.

There whole value is selling Rogers products from day one .

You can see it with the statue in front of the stadium , the name and the countless ads tied into sports MLSE and the Jays .

That’s why I call the Blue Jays the Rogers Cell Phones . They never will care about baseball other than its a means to an end .

Also with Rogers Sports network they have content for winter in the NHL and summer they have the Jays .

I don’t see Rogers selling unless it ties into them getting replacement content or
still owning their broadcast rights . Plus they use the national broadcaster CBC during the regular season and the lucrative Stanley Cup Playoffs where they sell cell phones and the Jays . Quite clever with there not so subliminal message of buy Rogers related stuff all year round .

They would need to get out of the broadcasting arena all together but with such a marketing ploy with the NHL and MLB they have a large Ad running all year round for males ages 12 to 90 and some female fans as well.

That's why I call the Blue Jays the Rogers Cell Phones . They never will care about baseball other than its a means to an end .
Well that's what branding is about whereby branding maybe costing you money but it promotes the real product of your company.

How about the Toronto Rogers Branders? 8)

They are the epitome of corporate ownership that’s for sure .

They are very good at branding subliminal and not so subtle messages .

As much as I don’t like them as a baseball team I have to say they impress me with their marketing approach . It works and I have to give them that .

They definitely not the Jays of the 80’s that I fell in love with and MLB has changed
where you win the lottery like the NHL by just being there even if not for long .

The only reason I posted was because, according to the Usual Suspects at cfl.ca, the Blue Jays print money. I guess they were wrong AGAIN!

I agree with you it’s not a money maker .

It was always about an alternate plan .

For me that plan was to hurt the CFL in Toronto by the same owners of the Jays and for that I will always have nothing but contempt for the organization known as Rogers .

The branding was great but it made sure they were the major league and the NFL was the only equal to the Jays at Rogers .

The BILLs series and the C and S mess made it apparent they were in the business of removing a piece of my heritage with the CFL .

They were good propagandists and it worked well as the GTA is staying away in droves for the CFL game . It will take some time before the damage is repaired .