BC TRADES A QB TO CALGARY !!!

Yup… The Lions traded the rights on QB Jason Gesser to the Stampeders…

Lol… I just wanted to spook Lions fans (and maybe create false hopes in Calgary). Anybody thought Dickensen was heading to Calgary? :smiley:

Nah, didn’t think that.

Heard Gesser was the man. Any info on JG other than what’s in his bio?

Apparently played some excellent US college ball and was somehow paired up with Carson Palmer (roommates?) along the way. Could definately step into 3rd string and who knows, with the right tutelage maybe give Darnell a run for backup…

Yah, I heard about that stuff but there’s no history in the NFL, CFL, he was cut early by all teams. Anyone actually ever see him play in the pros - even in camp?

His play here is totally unknown - Calgary’s taking a big chance with him considering what it’s cost them. If he’s a flop it’s going to hurt. I never thought a lot of Kennedy. I preferred Banks. He was the better QB. As much as many might not like Dunnigan, he’d know a good QB when he saw one, and if i’m not mistaken, didn’t he cut him?

Cost us? a first round draft pick…given this past draft I’m not putting too much face value on that trade…

That’s where some teams make their mistake. They don’t put too much value on the trade. One year, some players shine, other years it’s famine. You never know. Next year could be a great one.

I guess it all depends on how Burris does. I never liked him in Saskatchewan. Thought the team won because of all the talent around him. I’m not all that impressed with Nealon either. But the team is solid, so they should do ok.

The Stamps biggest strength is their defence. And on O anything’s an improvement on Crandell, so in that way unloading him the Stamps won. Receivers and oline are the weak area which could be a problem for all of the quarterbacks.

A little info on Mr. Gesser…

Heisman candidate to work out for Leos

Mike Beamish
Vancouver Sun

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Jason Gesser’s arm is “fit and strong” and he’s ready to show it off to the B.C. Lions.

Gesser, a Heisman Trophy candidate in 2002 who led the Washington State Cougars to a Pac-10 championship and a Rose Bowl appearance, told the Seattle Times he’ll be in Surrey Monday for a workout under the eyes of B.C. head coach Wally Buono, offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine and quarterbacks coach Steff Kruck.

With Casey Printers, Dave Dickenson and former Notre Dame starter Jarious Jackson under contract, the Lions are looking for a fourth quarterback to complete their roster for training camp.

Gesser, 25, has been out of football since he was cut after signing a free-agent contract with the Tennessee Titans, but the Lions are impressed with his agility, elusiveness and leadership skills.

He holds WSU records for pass completions, yardage and touchdown throws, though there is some doubt whether his gun is powerful enough to play at the pro level.

“I saw him throw a 70-yard pass vertically up the field while rolling to his left,” says Cougar offensive co-ordinator Mike Levenseller, a former WSU receiver who won a Grey Cup with the Edmonton Eskimos in 1982 and coached with the Lions from 1986-89.

“I’ve never questioned his arm strength, and he’s got such a quick release. He’s a touch passer. He doesn’t try to overpower the ball, but he can certainly get it a long way down the field. I think he’d fit in real well up there [CFL], I really do.”

Gesser shared the Pac-10’s offensive player of the year award with USC quarterback Carson Palmer, the No. 1 overall pick in 2003, though Gesser wasn’t one of the 13 quarterbacks selected in the NFL draft that year.*

Whatever that means. A guy is always the best thing since cheesecake when he gets on a team. I wonder why there are so many incapable players around when we see our GM hire no one but the next big thing.

As far as Heisman contender… Jason White, the 2003 Heismann winner, wasn’t even able to get signed as a free agent this week. The Chiefs, who offered him the chance to take part in the mini-camp, prefered to keep the unknown QB they draft in the 7th round.

I agree, there’s always a lot of hype and glowing reports about a player when he’s been signed. And then he plays and then the GM is out there looking again for the next big thing to “replace” the wonder boy.

My guess is Gesser will end up guessing where his next gig will be. Any guess when that will be? :lol:

Deja vu. The B.C. QB factory trades another backup quarterback for another 1st round draft pick. With BC’s depth, lions can afford to stockpile future prospects.