BC/Stamps postmortem........

...........let's see, this game was not as close as the score indicated, 8 points, sound pretty close to me......looks like 8 points.........hmmmm, this side of the rockies, 8 points is a TD and a two point conversion.......and please RLR, please tell me how the score flattered the stamps.....

8 points is not close, considering the blown call on the Dickenson TD, and the fact that it was 15 points with around 1 minute to go. I would not really call that a close game. I don't really think the game was ever in any doubt. The Lions played well, and definetly could have played better. Our forced turnovers were ferocious. Dickenson was on the money, but could have thrown for 500. Watching the whole game, I was never nervous about the Lions losing at any point. Sure, 39-31 doesn't seem like a blowout, but factor in Dickenson's blown call and Calgary's TD with about a minute left and this game is a 3 TD victory for the Leos. Whatever, call it close or not, 7-0 and there's no denying that.

...........of course there's no denying 7-0, that's what an 8 pointlead will get you will get you.....but what is this mystery adding of scores over a call a ref made and not recognizing a late TD?........a three TD spread, jaysus give me a break.......

.........you know what I'e seen happen today?........I've think we have undisputed proof of who are the most arrogant fans in the league.......wear the mantle well boys......

.........a bunch of stampeder fans come on, myself included, lament our sloppy play, give congradulations to the Lions who played well and deserved the W, and what do we get back in return? "oh the game was never in doubt", "the score flattered the stampeders", "DD really scored a TD in the 3rd quarter and we was robbed", "the BC defense let up in the last half cause the game was never in doubt"........fine fine, spit in the hand of the fans that say good game to you and enjoy being the new arrogant fans on the block.....there's winning with class, and then there's just winning, try a little of the former style.......

The Stamps proved again that they can play with the Lions. It was just too bad that the 1st 1/4 was a rough one for the Stamps. Calgary is going to be in the playoffs this season.

Calgary's a tough team, I'm not denying that. But I felt they gave us a better game at BC Place, even though they lost by 13 instead of 8. Last night's game was more of a blowout for BC than their home win against Calgary, even if they only won by a 'measly' 8 points.

Any team can play with any team in the CFL. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Ticats give the Lions a run for their money next week. But at the end of the day, It's wins and losses, and not point differential that matter in the CFL. The record I'm very excited about is the 11 straight wins at BC Place, dating back to last July. To me, that is the most impressive streak in the CFL right now, maybe even more so than 7-0.

on any given day................

Enjoy that sunshine BC boys you will fall from the ladder when it counts. The big games are the ones Wally has trouble with. The Lions played a very good game no doubt but what goes around comes around.

redwhite2005, I don't see the sun setting on the Leos anytime soon, buddy. If what goes around comes around, I have no doubt the Lions will go all the way in 2005. I can understand you being upset about us beating your Stamps last night, but it's ok. You shouldn't feel too badly because we've beaten every other team we've played. You lost to a great opponent last night. Who's going to knock us off?

Sorry buddy you are very wrong I am not upset in the least. We are just practising to make the lions cry in the playoffs.

Haha, just practicing eh. Just like the Ticats are practicing being 0-7? Wow, I bet Burris and Higgins are all pulling our leg and clearly have a trick or two up their sleeves. They purposely lost last night just so the Lions think they can beat the Stamps but the Stamps actually weren't trying. Makes sense now.

hey now… just because a couple of BC fans are going on about the blown call on the TD… and just because ONE person has said “oh the game was never in doubt” and “the score flattered the stampeders” doesn’t mean we’re all saying that… please don’t paint us all with a broad brush… just like i’m sure you’d hope we didn’t paint you with a broad brush…

As for “the BC defense let up in the last half cause the game was never in doubt”… i don’t know about the never in doubt bit… i wouldn’t say that… but you do have to admit R&W that our defence did play softer in the second half… you can’t deny it… it was obvious… we smothered you in the first half and layed off in the 2nd… and i don’t agree with playing soft because thats exactly when a good team can come back and stick it to you… exactly like Calgary tried to do.

So while some “fans” may “spit in the hand of the fans that say good game” i don’t think the majority of us do… and every team has those “fans”… including Calgary… but we don’t think of YOU that way based on those few people… and while some may be arrogant… MOST of us are just confident and proud… i’m sure if your team was 7-0 that you’d have people being arrogant on your side as well… so please don’t hold a grudge against all BC fans based on the few… and we won’t in return when the Stamps go on a big run and a few fans on your side act the same way.

And to those BC fans going on about the blown TD call… get over it… it didn’t count… SH*T happens… every team has to play under the same refs… and blown calls go BOTH ways… we’ve been on both ends more than once this season… there’s nothing that can be done… the TD wasn’t counted… we scored only EIGHT points in the second half

I have my two cents to add about that last-minute touchdown (which apparently just made the scoreline more flattering). With about 50 seconds to go (if memory serves) Calgary tried an onside kick, and came VERY close to recovering. We were moving the ball up the field well in the 4th quarter. We were on a roll ... if we had recovered that onside kick, it's certainly not out of the question that we could have tied that game up.

IMO, Calgary's attempt at recovering the onside kick was the closest I've seen in a while. It was nicely kicked, and nicely covered. I wasn't on the field, but my guess is that it came down to a bounce.

Also, had we not given the Lions 17 free points of turnovers ...

I'm not saying the Stamps should've won, or deserved to win ... but we're not that bad. BC is the best team in the CFL right now, no doubt. But the Stamps aren't bad, and I think people have finally stopped underestimating us. On Friday, we lost to the better team ... and of course, BC did plenty to help create those turnovers, leading to 17 points. There are just a few "what ifs" that really bug me, as a Stamps fan. What if Burris hadn't tried to throw it away, and had tucked it instead, as he was being sacked by 3 Lions - resulting in a fumble returned for a touchdown? What if Harris had held on to the ball when he took that tackle, instead of fumbling it - ultimately leading to BC's second touchdown? And worst of all, what if Calixte hadn't taken that stupid objectionable conduct penalty after holding the Lions to a 2-and-out deep in BC territory? That penalty kept the drive alive and ended up in a BC touchdown.

I'm not saying we should've won, or that we got gypped, or that we deserved to win ... it's just those painful "what if" questions. Could very easily have been a different game!

The game at BC place, we ran out of gas in the 4th. This past game, we just bombed the 2nd (and the last part of the 1st).

there are what if’s going both ways… what if the ref had seen that TD a different way… what if the Lions didn’t soften up on defence… what if what if what if… it could have been a different game in a sense that BC could have smoked them… but none of that happened… going on about what if’s is pointless cuz you can’t go back and see if things could have turned out different… worry about the what if’s of the remaining games… as they are the only ones that still have the outcome to be determined.

Chronic guy and R&W , I was only bringing up the blown call on the TD because R&W was going on about the Lions scoring only 7 points supposedly as though they didn't do anything in the second half . Yes offically rhey scored 8 points and the TD didn't count but it wasn't like the Lions were rolling over playing dead in the half because they did in fact put it in twice . I wouldn't have brought it up if R&W didn't go on about the second half score either.
Anyway R&W , your team played good as usual in the second half and showed they're compititive . Yes the'll be in the hunt , and shouldn't be taken lightly . And thanks for the goodwill and hope you guys knock off the EE.

This was another good full value W for the Lions and these guys continue to be on a roll winning no matter what happens it seems. Good teams are like that.

Blitz on Lionbackers.com has given us a great analysis and his very good insights. Great understanding of both the game, the nuances and the tactics needed to win.

This is again looking like a big rivalry between the Stamps and BC with maybe less of the hatred BC players felt five years or so back.

1. On Calgary's side of the ball, those turnovers did them in. Steve Buratto had some nice changes in his passing attack that differed from the game here. The kick in the air by that air head Mark Calixte (?) was dumb as dumb can be. Big penalty.

Henry Burris and Dave Randorf are both going to have to live with the problems of slippery balls for the rest of their careers. It was slippery for both teams though so that is no excuse and a slip of the tongue for Randorf on air is the same. Funny though.

1. The opening play to Lyle Green was a great opening play and sent a message to the Stamp secondary to get their track shoes on as the ball was going to be spread all over the park again in this game.

2. I thought that the Lions might have forced less balls downfield and looked for some screens again as these have been effective when used this year.

3. I can't believe how tough DD is and how many hits he took. What a gutsy guy. Better though that he takes less hits. Be more like Cavillo, you can take the hit but that is not what you are paid to do so forget it.

4. The O line gets too much criticism. They have to be doing something right to be getting this many wins.

5. This defence is really shaping up to be one of the best in the CFL. Very cohesive together group of guys with good coaching and great team play. I recall the old days where guys in the secondary were hard pressed to play any man coverage with success.

Blitz says they were using the all out blitz too often and on tv it looked that with no Safety that were in Cover 0. Not sure if it was to be man coverage by all including the Safety but Burris managed to burn the Lions on that for a couple of TDs. I am not a fan of giving a guy playing for Steve Buratto that kind of look as he will exploit it.

1. The special teams are playing great and it does look like the team stars love playing on them and it shows with the results these guys are getting. I assume some of it comes from the overall cohesiveness of this team and some from good coaching and attention to detail. I have no trouble with watching great punting leading to balls going out of bounds. That is good tactics and not boring like fair catches, no yards and no single in the NFL.

2. Goal line offence. Not sure how you can improve it other than having your guys able to blast in from a yard out. Your chances improve if there is a dual threat from both backs. I am not sure that I like DD on the QB sneak as there is too much chance for injury and why not look to another guy to do that for him. The risk in the cold winter games though is cold hands and a bad exchange can happen any time with a guy off the bench.

The team attitude looks good from what you hear them say in the media. As an outsider you don't really know what is going within a team but the signs are all their that this is a good group of players with a lot of cohesion and focus and all in the same and right direction.

I like the teams that are not too emotional and this one seems to be that kind. They will do better over a season than the up and down type teams.

Buck Pierce-I learned a lot about perseverance. Things aren’t always going to go your way. I’ve become so much more aware of the realities of the game and life…Things can be taken away from you. You can either sit back…or overcome it and fight through it....

........thanks chronic, amazing what a little sleep will do........no hard feelings to you.........I like your posts and level-headedness, see you at the western final maybe?!........first round is on me.......

..........penn, I missed one point, corrected myslef right away after you had pointed out my error, and even apologized for it.........I hardly think that constitutes 'going on and on about it'........

[b]This game wasn't about a blown call. It was about four quarters of football. Both teams look good. Again, the Lions have eased up in the second half of games this year and of course they can't keep doing that. You have to put an opponent away.

One point though. Last year the Leos seemed to come from behind to win games. This year when they have the lead, they seem to do just enough to keep it. I haven't sensed any panic from the Leos when the game gets close and believe they were very capable of turning it back on quickly. Maybe they're doing just enough to win and in fact they admit they haven't played their best ball yet. The fact is they are 7 and 0 against good opponents. No doubt the Stamps and Eskimos are getting better, but the Lions aren't exactly standing pat themselves. Yes, any team can lose the big game come playoff time.....it doesn't take a genious to predict that. The Lions deserve full marks for their 7 and 0 start. So to those well wishers who say way to go, then add "what if this had happened or that had happened", I say sour grapes even with a little sugar thrown in is still sour grapes.[/b]

Again....i saw a blown call...thank gawd we won...that was a TD...you could see it on the replay that DD didnt step on the line...referees kept screwing us up in Cowgary...and itz p!ss!n me off...

And for some people who kept saying who-cares...

The league must LOVE you...YES!...forget about the screw ups...
after all, :roll: that :roll: is what the league wants...just concentrate on the good not the bad side...lets not adress any bad issues...just like the TD in Cowgary...it doesnt matter anyway...the lions won

lets face it...if that was cowgarys TD... :roll: calgary fans :roll: wouldnt care at all...

RIGHT?????????

Some people are just...hy------------------------------------te

Lions fans…the biggest pack of 7-0 whiners one could ever tolerate…on second thought. Comes with the left coast, I suppose… :roll: