BC Lions owner David Braley dies at 79

Lions owner Braley dies at 79
https://www.tsn.ca/1.1543841.1603736822

Wow. I know his health has been not great the past many years but it's unexpected none of the less.

The league likely wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for him. Seems like the Lions sale will happen sooner than later and not the best time for this to occur.

RIP Mr. Braley

2 Likes

Sad news for a man who did a lot for the league and for society in general.

Condolences to the Braley family.

4 Likes

The CFL owes a lot to Mr Braley.
Condolences

"David has been a proud and fiercely loyal owner of our team, a champion of the Canadian Football League, and a leader for whom his love of our game and our country went hand in hand and spanned decades. We share our deepest condolences with his family, friends and admirers,” Rick LeLacheur, president of the Lions, said in a statement.

“One of his final acts of devotion to Canadian football was a clear expression of his desire that the stability of our club be maintained through a smooth transition following his passing. We will work closely with David’s estate to follow that plan.”

l

2 Likes

AWFUL NEWS: first obviously to the Braley family; this guy was truly a CFL fan first but his enormous financial contributions to our game shall never be forgotten.

Its too bad he wasn't more of a football man - he'd prolly have built dynasties in at least two (2) CFL markets.

Imagine the current Lions management and Commish Ambrosie have begun to come out of their slumber with more questions than answers on the Lions front.

MANY QUESTIONS:

1. Did Dave leave a succession plan? 2. Was his death insured and did the insurance extend to his primary sports asset (BC Lions)? 3. Are there competing interests for Mr. Braley's estate? 4. Are the Lions in any way in jeopardy of not fielding a team for 2021? Period?

I have great deal of respect for what Mr. Braley did for this league.

Sorry to hear of his passing.

My sincere condolences to his family. We have lost a champion.

sorry to hear this. R.I.P.

This is a very sad day for the CFL, as if it wasn't already sad enough in this terrible year.

R.I.P. and condolences to his family and all CFL fans who mourn his passing.

My condolences to his.

Indeed a sad day for the CFL.

To all of the questions, they’re that just questions.

We will find out in coming days.

Goodman and GREAT owner. Hired people, put up major dollars, step back, didn’t interfer!!! Need more like this guy. Real true Canadian!!

1 Like

Very sorry to hear of his passing. He added so much to the Canadian sporting landscape and beyond without a doubt. He'll be missed by many people for sure.

1 Like

From the article:

He was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2012 and the athletic centre at McMaster bears his name. He received the Order of Canada in 2019 for his contributions to the CFL, and for his entrepreneurial and philanthropic leadership in his community.

Braley was also a philanthropist and contributed $5 million to the athletic centre at McMaster. He has also made significant donations to the Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute at Hamilton General Hospital, which also bears his name.

"He clearly has been — and is — a Canadian icon," LeLacheur said.

RIP Mr Braley not only did you save the Lions from extinction you also helped the Vancouver 86ers before they went back to being the White Caps. I hope who ever replaces you in ownership has the class that you had. Condolences to his family and friends.

1 Like

An excellent read here from McMaster Faculty of Health Sciences:
"Hamilton businessman David Braley, whose investment in McMaster University’s Faculty of Health Sciences enabled tremendous growth in research, training and infrastructure, died Oct. 26 in Burlington. He was 79" ...

2 Likes

David Braley -
The roar of a Lion or a Tiger,(Argo not so much :wink:),
With a big heart of gold! :orange_heart:

1 Like

end of an era ------ RIP

Great interview with Farhan Lalji on potential future owners, the demo, and his thoughts on a new stadium for the Lions.

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/listen-27726.html