BC forced to cut Bobby!

Next! :lol:

Unlike some on here, I dont make things up.

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&topicnum=&nid=15586&writer=0]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... 6&writer=0[/url]

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 09:00AM

O-lineman is a big guy with big contract expectations

By Lowell Ullrich,
Vancouver Province

There’s still a chance the Lions may get to keep Rob Murphy this season, but it may come down to whether the CFL club wants to part with another starter to make it happen.

The admission by coach Wally Buono that he might have to release a veteran player or two is another sign the Lions are looking at all options so as to give the league’s top offensive lineman a raise. Buono continued to assess his position Tuesday.

“We’re going to try and wiggle a little, hopefully more on [Buono’s] part,” said Murphy, who expects to hear from the coach today or tomorrow.

Despite losing two players to free agency this winter and not offering Carl Kidd a contract, Buono said he still may not be able to get under the $4.05-million salary cap that has forced the release of many veterans in the league.

He earlier signed seven players to extensions, and stated the Lions would have no problem getting under the cap.
Now the club is investigating whether to dump salary by advancing the talent in their biggest area of depth.

One player said to be under consideration for release is Sherko Haji-Rasouli, who has played four positions on the offensive line and started at right guard in the playoffs last year.

Some CFL general managers were surprised when the Lions signed Haji-Rasouli, one of three non-import linemen who will become a free agent after this season, for close to $90,000 annually two years ago. Signing him to a similar deal may prove to be difficult.

With line draft picks Dean Valli, Jon Hameister-Reis, Nuvraj Bassi and junior Lorne Plante either signed or on the way, the club may elect to accelerate their development to keep Murphy one more year.

Buono, who said he was happy with Haji-Rasouli last year and denied he was involved in internal discussions, is slated to talk with the Iranian giant next week about the future.

Outside of quarterbacks and kickers, the only other position that has not lost a player this winter and has depth is in the defensive secondary. The club inherited a hefty contract belonging to all-star Korey Banks last season. Since then, Buono has signed deals with four of the other five starters who comprise the Lions’ pass coverage package.

B.C. also still has to sign roughly 20 more players in order to fill out a training camp roster.

Buono maintained his desire to accommodate Murphy, going so far as to give the tackle permission to work out a trade. Odds are a deal isn’t likely, though. B.C. has only made four such transactions in the last four years.

A better bet: Buono, who said Tuesday he will no longer discuss the situation until there is a resolution, won’t be pushed into a restructured deal.

“A year ago, Rob Murphy was just another name,” said Buono.

That could be the case again soon.

This portion you’ve high lighted states him as saying they “would have no problem getting under the cap” . That is not the same as saying it would have no effect on them or that somehow they’ll get around the cap . It’s saying he states they’ll be under the cap like they’re supposed to be , same as what he’s saying in those Bobby Singh articles. To read more into that you would have use 05 type logic and read that white space in between those two lines.

Of course the cap has had an effect , they just released Singh didn’t they? What is that if not an effect? If they chose to ignore the Cap then they would have just kept him .

It has been well documented that the 2 private owners that were most against the salary cap, and the commissioner that brought it in, were BC and Montreal. Edmonton has been very public and vocal about supporting the salary cap, and Hellard in Calgary was part of the committee that wrote it up, so I don’t think either Alberta team has anything to worry about, as far as a salary cap being forced down their throats, that they don’t support.

That’s not to say that BC won’t be under the cap. If there is a very real threat of harsh punishments for breaking it, they may get below it, whether they like it or not.

Why are you so bent out of shape? I am just saying it seems that the BC Lions are the most vocal about losing a vet. Is this not true look at the headline on this site. When the Eskimos, Riders etc released players there were not headlines of being forced to do anything. Larry is correct! The BC, Edmonton and Montreal were the teams that were vocal about the cap. Now yu look at Edmonton they did their part with out saying anything about being forced into it. Yet BC the story is much different. It is funny Piggy and Larry got it now didn’t they. I am not trying to demean the BC Lions. I am just saying they are more vocal when it comes to releasing their veteran players. FOr you to say Braley has nothing to do with the decisions of the Lions well that is not true. :lol:

ya Pronger is a good choice he won't be traded from the Eskimos :lol:

What ever happened to Dickenson's pledge to take a pay cut as the price of getting Murphy back? I take it he modified his pledge so that it now reads, "sign Murphy and I will remain silent, forcing you to cut another starting lineman."

Dickenson was only willing to take a “per year” paycut, if the Lions were willing to sign him to a contract extension. In other words, commit more money to him, over a longer number of years, but save on the per year cost. Due to his age, his injuries, and the emergence of Buck Pierce, Buono was unwilling to give Dickenson an extension, so he found another way to keep Murphy.

If he took a pay cut, then Wally is keeping it a secret.
Wally’s original reaction to DD’s offer was that it created a bad precedent and he was not overly keen on moving in that direction.
So I sorta doubt DD took a cut…

Overall, I think that Singh’s release marks a real effort by BC to honour the cap, and given Braley’s position on that, I don’t think anyone was very certain how they were going to deal with the problem.
But letting a valuable Canadian receiver like Thelwell go, and their failure to renegotiate a new deal with Clermont, and now Singh means BC is making an effort.
BC was likely only in the middle of the pack in spending last year anyway, so if they are now onside with the cap, I am optimistic we can have success as a league.

I’m not bent out of shape . YOU are just demonstrating the same idiocy that you exhibited toward jm02 that got that other thread locked. And YOU just don’t get it. I got no beef with Larry or Piggy.
The whole point (and I just KNOW YOU won’t get this time either) is that those articles you state say NOTHING about anything you are alluding to. You are making up a load of BS , not LARRY or PIGGY , but YOU . BC may or may not be over the cap this year but nothing in any of those articles gives one iota of evidence about it. This has received NO EXCESS media whatsoever . Only one story a piece from each Vancouver paper and NOTHING MORE! Just like when any other vet on any team gets released. Carl Kidd got more coverage , but did you even notice? NO .

Now just what exactly did those stories say that you are refering to??? What are you accusing Braley of ??? What concrete evidence do you have that Braley did something??? We don’t even know from your posts what Braley is being accused of , just something “suspicious” because the local papers printed one story each about a veteran player being released and you have to read between the lines to see it . But you can’t elaborate what it is.

Now if you want to reply why don’t you try to give some intelligent answers to some the questions I asked you or just drop the whole thing before making even more of an ass of yourself.

Note the intelligent replies by Arius and Larry on the matter 05. If you were capable of keeping it that way also , things wouldn't get out of shape . You related to kanga by any chance? You sure post like him , only with a lot more venom .

Thats not take this personally Pennw after all it is you that is taking offense to my opinion. I was looking for opinions and you stated yours I respect that. Piggy also saw my point so really what is your problem.

[b]Post by Piggy:

I think I know what your getting at 05, and I agree (stranger things have happened).

Wally was quoted as saying that the SMS would not affect the Lions. While other teams had already accepted that they were going to have to release a few veterans, this seems to be catching the Lions and Wally off guard a bit.[/b]
I did not put this thread as to be negative against the Lions. You answered the question I appreciate that but you sir are the one bent out of shape. Arius and Larry voiced their opinions no personal attacks so really this is on your back my friend. I could eaily offend you if that is what you are looking for but why bother we have been there and back. Just use your opinion instead of your wit.
I think I explained what I thought of the release of Singh no need to have a guilt complex.

You really are unbelievable . Don't drag others into it again. :roll: Why don't you just give it up as you are completely irrational.

Next! :lol:

Actually , for a Olineman , this guy is getting a lot of press. This story has been on this site's home page , for over 2 weeks now. This is getting a lot more coverage than it should, because he is a just another salary cap casualty. So were Troy Davis, Nate Davis, Andrew Greene and others. A lot of guys were let go because of the cap, but no where else but BC could this get so much press coverage. Maybe the second coming of Jesus Christ has occured, he is Bobby Singh! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sambo for your opinion!

I think the only reason the Singh deal may have received a bit more publicity is because it was so intricately wound up by the bigger story/soap opera that was the Murphy signing/DD offering to take a pay cut.
It wasn't just a simple, "Lions release vet" story, but a series of events which led to his release.

Good point Arius, but what was once supposed to be a nonissue in Wallys World has developed into a soap opera. To be honest I think the press are having a field day watching Wally squirm throughout this affair. Thus a little extra attention is being paid on their part.

Good posts Arius and Piggy my thoughts exactly. The issue is a media snowballing. Not that the Lions did anything wrong. It is that the issue is more magnified by the issue with Murphy. I must add Wally is a guy that if you force him to give you a raise you better follow through with a good season. I think Singh did not do the job for him. Yes the shoulder injury did not help but he must of become expendable because of his game play and cost. Wally always gets into these issues and always comes out smelling like roses. Good GM you bet. Thanks for the answers guys!

Sounding much better 05. Main thing Lions did nothing wrong , just released their former highest paid O-line guy due to salary cap concerns. The story is interwoven with Murphy being the new top paid guy . Braley’s not even in the picture. The media coverage has been the Vancouver papers but that is typical for them . I read them all the time(the Province not the Sun) and they do a pretty good job of covering the Lions these days.
As for Bobby he signed a big contract and then spent a lot of time injured afterward , leading him to become the odd man out. Basically BC had 6 guys getting starter salary . Sherko takes Bobby’s spot and there are a couple of up comers in Dean Valli and Lorne Plant who will soon be vying for a spot too.
It’s to bad that it ends this way in BC for him but choices had to be made , couldn’t justify letting any of the other guys go instead .
Good luck Booby where ever you end up .