BC DB Dante on dogfighting

I don’t see a lack of perspective.

The violence that you refer to that people embrace is a controlled violence, with consent from all parties. This wasn’t, so it’s getting a far bigger reaction. Nothing abnormal about that.

The story of the century, to name one, is how the US can spend billions sending people in space for science, and then let people go homeless and without proper food in New Orleans. Or wars.

Yes, animal cruelty is very, very bad and illegal. But what Arius says makes sens really, our fellow human beings are not getting the headlines of animals and that seems weird even though I’m not one to say humans are at a higher level on the life chart than animals but you know what I mean. What, are we going to put our resources into animals while people are not being given the dignity they deserve? Fact is this issue is being blown out of proportion in relation to other stories involving human beings.

Good post Earl!

This whole story is getting more air time (and Forum time) than it deserves.

We all agree, the Dog fighting is bad!

What happened to the "Losing Dogs" was bad!

I hope Vick goes to jail!

But, I especially hope that in the future the players THINK BEFORE THEY SPEAK, and don't make any stupid comments!

…‘thinking’ being the operative word there sport…right on…maybe Vick should have tried some of that… :roll:

I agree with you 100% Arius, on your point that there are far worse crimes being committed in this world. Though I don't see anyone shrugging off pedophilia, rape, or serial killings, it is true that his crimes are getting a lot more press than most of those.

But it is not the crimes themselves that have resulted in all the media coverage, but the profile of the defendant. Many other people were involved in this ring, but his is the only name we hear. This may seem unfair to Vick, until you realize that up until now, he has gotten a lot of press and positive exposure for throwing a football. Many people do many things many times greater every day, true heroes worthy of being hailed as role models for our youth; yet they do not get their names in the paper, or their pictures on TV. The price of the celebrity he has achieved for doing something so unimportant is the noteriety he is now receiving for doing something less heinous than the killers whose names we will never know.

I disagree with your point that society is hypocritical to promote violence in movies, music, and video games, and then to demonize Vick for murdering dogs. The portrayal of violence in those media is just that -- the portrayal of violence -- and even if it has gotten out of hand in many cases, it does not compare to the actual violence perpetrated by Mr. Vick. The dogfighting in which he participated pales in comparison to the cruel executions he performed on dogs that were underachieving.

I get the impression that Michael Vick, and I don't know him at all, that could be a bit narcisstic in that he feels he couldn't be touched because he is a big pro athelete. It will be interesting to see what he says publicly as this thing goes along.

I've known very well educated people who are very bright who believe that people should adorn them and their ideas "hand and foot" type of thing and are beyond criticism. It's actually very scary because some of these people we trust our lives to or our family.

The crime itself is varying degrees of serious, depending on your attitude and feelings to and about animals. What exaggerates the situation and makes it such a big story is who he is. Not that he is micheal vick, but that he is a top money maker, top player, in the top league in the world. That he is in this position and yet would risk throwing it all away is as much the issue as the crime itself. That NFL loses one of its top players, that is as much a story. That fans are robbed of his talent, that is as much a story. Put it all together, and you get all this excessive attention

Do you get change with that Eskylo I would hope so.

Couldnt agree more with Big Dave.

Lock er up.

All right, that I can get behind. I thought it was because I follow sports that I saw so much of it, but I guess not.

To use a different example, there are probably more noteworthy events going on in the world, but if Britney Spears bends to tie her shoelace while wearing a skirt and no underwear, it’s the front page on Yahoo.

He pretty much said what I was going to say. Maybe I’d change a line or two, but whatever…

And no offence to Arius, but his post at the start sounded to me like it should have been made in the B.C. forum instead of in here, as no one here had compared it to rape or pedophilia. And to be honest, that topic in the B.C. board aside, I haven’t heard anyone state that Michael Vick’s crimes are worse than rape or pedophilia.

But whatever… I think all future Michael Vick topics should just be locked because I’m sick and tired of discussing this douchebag. He’s not even associated with the CFL.

Time to move on, folks. It’s the Labour Day Weekend!