Banning Russian Athletes

Wimbledon's ban on Russian players is completely disgusting. Nike dropping Ovie is completely disgusting. This is not on the same level of the Japanese internment camps in Canada during WWII but it's on the same thought line - The country of your birth determines who you are and what you believe in - it's tragic to see us going down the same roads we so strongly criticize our forefathers for. Being a pro athlete is an occupation just like being a welder. Should we ban Russian born welders from our machine shops in Canada? Disgusting.

2 Likes

Russia born welders, no. Russian citizens who want to come here to work, maybe.

Russian athletes representing Russia, yes.

Nike and Ovie, no

3 Likes

I'm all right with not making rich athletes who voice their support for a murdering psycopath richer. If any Russian Athlete denounces Putin and his war on Ukraine then I have no problem letting that athlete participate.

4 Likes

Exactly my sentiment. Ovie is an unabashed Putin supporter. He is part of his stable, not some innocent unaffiliated athlete. He can’t do that and hypocritically take money out of our system and pretend that nothing is amiss. Good for Nike I say.

2 Likes

That's the problem...why just make the Russian athletes declare their world view before allowing them to compete? If an individual's world view is a determinant factor in whether they get to compete or not then every potential participant, no matter where they are from, should have to fess up.

1 Like

Even if you don’t go that far, how do you square that with someone like Ovie who has voluntarily made his pro Putin views known for many years and campaigned and shilled for him?

1 Like

I think the NHL should have a mortarium on drafting Russians into the NHL. Allow the existing Russian players to play because they have existing contracts.

The new incoming Russian draftees should be placed into a supplemental draft and be drafted later once the Russians' war on the Ukraine until Peace is brokered.

The NHL has to be accountable like the All England Tennis Club. It has to take a side on History. But the NHL wanted to do business in China and it blew up in their faces.

5 Likes

Ok, maybe Ovie is a tough one. Nike may be justified since they are allowed to control who promotes for them and what image they want to portray. But arbitrary bans on people because of their birthplace is ridiculous. We have been down this road before and it all seems justified until you look bac on it a few decades later and go - "what were we thinking?".

I disagree. The NHL has to develop the game of hockey and support players from every background. Stifling Russian hockey development will not change the political/social situation in Eastern Europe. It will only hurt individual Russian citizens that 99.9/100 have nothing to do with their leadership's territorial ambitions.

1 Like

Here's two Russian athletes who both acted like total arseholes .

Number one Arsehole had the gall to wear the pro Russian "Z" symbol supporting the war effort while standing next to an Ukrainian athlete on the podium .

Number two arsehole had the gall to give the Nazi salute from another podium after winning a race and then laughed about it like it was a big joke .

4 Likes

It's not the NHL's responsibility to develop Russian hockey players. The young Russians have the KHL to develop in. They can sign with the NHL later once peace is brokered. Russian players have to pay the price for Putin's transgressions

3 Likes

'I have to live with myself' is always the answer.

2 Likes

That will not be necessary.
If Russian athletes have not as of yet denounced or condemned Putin for the genocidal invasion of Ukraine then their position is abundantly clear.
Ovechkin’s steadfast support for Putin has clearly not waned as he refuses to take down his Official Instagram profile photo of Putin.

5 Likes

Most bans are probably not meant to punish the athlete but to try to put pressure on Putin. Poor athletes are just collateral damage, unless they support Putin. Then they deserve it.

5 Likes

The NHL has an interview process before the Draft. Russian players could easily lie to NHL GMs on their stance on the War. The NHL GMs should save themselves the embarrassment by not taking those kids

A lot of my favorite players over the years have been Russians. Hope this situation doesn't set us back.

1 Like

It won't set back the NHL, The War will set back the Russians for years. The West will help rebuild Ukraine like the Marshall Plan did for Germany. The Russians are on their own for a rebuild

1 Like

And to be clear. I do not support Putin, I have wished for his removal for 20 years. And I am not trolling. I simply think it is wrong to deny a Russian athlete the opportunity to play in the CFL or any league because they are from Russia. I don't hold any of you accountable for Trudeau's last budget (or Harper's for that matter). Your birthplace does not determine who you are.

2 Likes

C'mon! Trudeau's budget never invaded a sovereign nation. The Russian kids are still young enough to resume a NHL career once Peace has been brokered. Two three years at the most

3 Likes

It appears that the NHL will not follow other sports leagues in banning any Russian players.

[Insider Trading: NHL has no plans to ban Russian players from draft Insider Trading NHL has no plans to ban Russian players from draft - TSN.ca](Insider Trading: NHL has no plans to ban Russian players from draft Insider Trading NHL has no plans to ban Russian players from draft - TSN.ca)

1 Like