Banks among players fined from Week 5 action

TORONTO -- The Canadian Football League announced today:

Hamilton Tiger-Cat Brandon Banks was fined for a late hit against Saskatchewan Roughrider Tyree Hollins.

B.C. Lion Jason Foster was fined for a low hit from behind on Toronto Argonaut Greg Jones.

Edmonton Eskimo Eddie Steele was fined for a low hit on Winnipeg Blue Bomber Drew Willy.

Ottawa REDBLACK Jacques Washington was fined for hitting Calgary Stampeder Jeff Fuller while leading with his head.

As per league policy, the amount of the player fines was not disclosed

[url=http://cfl.ca/article/banks-among-players-fined-from-week-5-action]http://cfl.ca/article/banks-among-playe ... k-5-action[/url]

Drew Edwards ?@scratchingpost 31m31 minutes ago
#Ticats @speedybanks87 fined by #CFL for his late hit against the #Riders. It was almost more costly than that….

If Austin didn't get through to him, maybe those missing dollars from his pay cheque will.

With all the penalties taken by this team, I am left wondering if Austin would start levying team fines for penalties

With all the penalties taken by this team, I am left wondering if Austin would start levying team fines for penalties

What a freakin joke all these fines are. I always defend the CFL when someone says it’s bush league. Not this time. The players were penalized at the time. No fine needed. Whoever is deciding on all these fines should be fined himself for being overzealous.

there needs to be more fines.

Not just for safety infractions, but for game enjoyment infractions, big plays brought back, etc

Overall CFL needs more fines and suspensions, but not Banks on that play. It was a stupid play, NOT a dirty play. Not nearly a dirty play. He got the flag that he deserved. In this particular case that should have been it.

The players were not penalized at the time, the teams were. It's about marching off yardage against the team.
This is what bothers me about some of these penalties in football, a player gets an infraction and the team pays for it. Too bad we couldn't have something like a soccer yellow card and "red card" system, a player does a dumb thing and he's shown a yellow card, two yellows and he's gone and for something serious he gets shown a red card and thrown out of the game and a fine. No marching off yardage against the team but the player who commits the fouls pays for it. That would hit home harder than marching off yardage against a team.

The players were not penalized at the time, the teams were. It's about marching off yardage against the team. This is what bothers me about some of these penalties in football, a player gets an infraction and the team pays for it. Too bad we couldn't have something like a soccer yellow card and "red card" system, a player does a dumb thing and he's shown a yellow card, two yellows and he's gone and for something serious he gets shown a red card and thrown out of the game and a fine. No marching off yardage against the team but the player who commits the fouls pays for it. That would hit home harder than marching off yardage against a team.

The rules in football are far different from soccer. If you red card football players then you would wind up with teams playing short handed the remainder of the game. It just doesn't work in our game! Things are fine the way they are. I can never figure out why soccer is called the beautiful game. It is boring at best.

Perhaps we need something closer to the basketball model. There, the team is penalized through foul shots, but after a specified number of fouls by a single player, he is ejected from the game.

Applying that to football, penalties would remain as is, but after a specified number of major fouls (e.g. OC, UR, RTP, RTK) by a single player, that player is ejected from the game. I don't think it should apply to all penalties though. A player goes offside or moves before the snap, he's only hurting his team. But major fouls deal with safety issues, and need to be eliminated from the game. Kicking out repeat offenders would probably do that.

The rugby or hockey model would be a bit more dramatic. In rugby, a player who commits a major foul is sent to the sin bin (basically has to stand under his opponent's goal posts) for a few minutes of play, and his team plays a man down, similar to a player taking any penalty in hockey, where major fouls have longer sit-out periods.

Applying this to football, again, penalties would remain the same, but any player who commits a major foul would be sent off somewhere for, say, one or two sets of downs or maybe three plays, and his team would play a man down for those plays.

I could see the first of these changes working easily, and could get support from the league. Hard to say what the CFLPA would say though. The second change would take a lot of thought and game-testing before it could ever be implemented, as we have no idea what the impact of an extra player would be.

I don't want get into a debate over soccer, but my point was they need to penalize players on the spot.
I said something similar to a card system where you can track the offenses committed by a player. No you wouldn't have to play shorthanded if you sent a player off for a major offense, I used the soccer example but that doesn't mean you send a player off and play one less, this is football. You can send a player to the dressing room and he's automatically fined after video review, you don't have to penalize the whole team with yardage.
The Banks hit was a real cheap shot, he should have been thrown out of the game. I know the die hards will say, maybe the player had been razzing him or pushing him etc, it doesn't matter, it was a cheap shot and he got caught.

It's also possible, although unlikely, that Banks didn't notice the whistle, saw all the pushing an shoving in the pile, and decided to block his player as roughly as he could. More likely he figured he could get away with the hit, not expecting the guy to go down quite as hard as he did.

Penalty and fine both deserved.

I love the fines. Shows the league is serious in cleaning up the game. If 15 yard penalties aren't enough a hit in the pocket book and having your name on the sh!t list of the week might help.
Great job commish!!

I tend to think that penalties should hit the team the hardest, not the player, since it is the team that creates the culture in which the player may feel that he has to play "on the edge" in order to keep his job. So punish teams who tolerate that sort of stuff from their players until they cut those players loose. This is a general statement and not applicable to Banks as such.

People tend to go flying to the ground whenever they're anywhere near Banks - assuming a Ticat player has at least brushed up against their body.

Oh please. He blind sided him. The guy did not have time to prepare for a dive. It was a cheap shot, nothing else.

It was a cheap shot, I don't care how big Banks is, if you have your back to someone and your not expecting it and the play was long over, you can go down pretty fast even with 160 pounds hitting you. If this was the other way around and it was another teams player hitting a Ticat player we would be crying blue murder and the thread would be going on for pages and pages and Ticat fans demanding a suspension..... :wink:

Agreed. I was just drawing a connection to another way in which bodies tend to hit the turf when Banks is in close proximity. For a small guy, he causes a lot of people to fall down - one way or another.

the only thing he did wrong was hit a guy after the whistle. i mean it was in Sask so its quite possible he didn't hear the whistle?
its not like he took he took a swing at him. geez lighten up

no! thats incorrect! we would have page after page because the opposing team wouldn't have got a penalty. :wink: