Bane Jr. scores three times in Riders comeback win over Elks

EDMONTON — The Saskatchewan Roughriders opened their season with an exciting 29-21 come-from-behind win over the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2024/06/08/bane-jr-scores-three-times-in-riders-comeback-win-over-elks

Bethel-Thompson showed the very same level of mediocrity — not bad, not good — that he did in five years as an Argonaut. How any pro football organization could think that MBT gives you a better chance to win than Tre Ford is beyond my comprehension.

3 Likes

I totally agree, HOW does the Elk coach see MBT as the saviour.
He shat the bed in two pre season games and sort of did that game one

1 Like

Both teams attempted to give the game away in the first half.
The riders took it away on the second half for the most part.

Agree. The Elks again gave away a game they should have had. Not a good sign. Neither team did much on the run. First time out Ouellette didn’t do much. This didn’t look like a game between 2 teams who want to contend.

3 Likes

What do you mean “sort of”? When the chips were down he totally soiled the sheets…

they played a great 45 minutes. Unfortunately the game is 60 minutes long…

1 Like

I would say the elk played good for only 19 minutes
The riders possibly won the game because that played better in the second half.
Even with that the Riders fumbled the ball at the end with seconds left.and the game was in doubt to the last play
It was an ugly win but the win still counts as a W.
The question is are both teams going to fix the propensity to take all those stupid misconduct penalties.
The Rider who took the 25 yard penalty and got ejected and the Riders who got the other misconduct calls AFTER the whistle …should Ll be made to walk home and think about their actions :grin:
Not really serious about that last line but wow do they gotta fix that or what.

1 Like

Edmonton’s offense is absolute crap, the defense can’t stop 2nd and long and special teams take too many penalties. In short, the exact same thing we’ve been watching for years.

I agree with the penalties. But anyone who thinks the Riders dominated wasn’t paying attention. If the Riders plan is, as stated by Mace, to bulldoze clubs with a heavy dose of Ouellette running the ball & Harris’ usual short game. I don’t know how much success they are going to have. Ouellette isn’t running behind a dominant OL like he did in Toronto. Adding Hardrick is a big piece but he’s only 1 piece. That OL still hasn’t shown that it can intimidate anyone IMO.

I fully expect the Elks to work Ford more into the game plan to amp up the run game. At this stage all the teams are just trying to find an identity.

Still a victory is a victory, Rider. Nothing to complain about, for sure.

1 Like

they certainly gotta fix the run game. it was non-existent. As for the Elk working Tre Ford in. The only ice time Tre will get is going to be when the number one breaks a leg and the coach literally has no other choice.

I know this will hurt your feelings but I DID go on record as taking BC, Wpg, Edm, Cal & SK in the West in that order. Mtl, Tor, Ham & Ottawa in the East. After week one, what do I know?? It’s only week one so long way to go.

I really have nothing against the Riders - I think a lot of people would like to see Mace succeed. How can you not like him? But I’m not a believer & one game doesn’t change that. :grinning:

1 Like

Iam of the jury is still out on a new coach. One game with a win is just that … One game and it was a win. Something to build on. New coach wants to build a culture that does not happen in one game. Nor do the players buy in if the team ain’t winning or if they don’t like the coach or his culture.

1 Like

Nope , no hurt here. Now that I am a big boy with big boy pants it takes much more than someone not liking my football team
Now if you were to say Islay Scotch or Red Breast Irish whiskey were not great pours…we might have to have a word

1 Like

This game was more like a pre-season game. Execution was not great. Timing on passes just a little off. However Harris’ long throws were bang on. One game does not make a season. However, every win in a short season is important. But, the Riders need to get their “penalty crap” together. Still chortling about the over/under of 7.5 wins for Riders. They were a tire fire last year. Even wild dogs wouldn’t lift their hind legs to put it out, yet they still missed winning a couple games by an eyelash. 1.5 extra wins this year should come by default, just by having Harris return. And, Wpg. totally soiled the bed, and were still ranked 3rd by 3D nation. I said before the season that they would struggle to make the playoffs, and they proved that premise. They are getting old…so the wild west will be a shootout this season.

2 Likes

The West more often than not IS a shootout.
Quite often one team in the West does dominate and easily takes first place.
This also has never been a guarantee they come out of the West.
It’s always exciting in the cfl. Asobg as you can get over the fact that your team ain’t gonna win it all every single year

1 Like

My brother’s a dedicated Scotch guy. Me? Not the best to ask. Curious fact - a close relative is the founder & distiller of Odd Society Spirits in Vancouver who attained a masters in distillery in Edinburgh. If I’m visiting my brother in Edmonton, I HAVE to bring back a bottle or 3 of spirits from there. Highly recommended stop if you’re in town. :grinning:

1 Like