Ballard documentary on CBC tonight

Posted here as he was our curmudgeonly owner for about 10 years. Will post in the off topic forum as well.

2 Likes

He wanted to move the Leafs to Hamilton and the TiCats to Toronto lol.

Imagine how the two leagues would have looked with that happening.

1 Like

He was a jerk and an asshat but he turned that into himself making a lot of money... How much was who and what he was and how much was theater remains to be proven...
Just my personal opinion :smiley:
But I do know two people personally that were Toronto Maple Leafs players. One thought of him almost like a father the other hated his guts

1 Like

The only thing I care about Harold Ballard is that our 1986 Grey Cup was the only championship he ever won. Also, as a Cat fan, I remember going to a game against Toronto in October of '86. After we won, walking back to the car with my dad we literally watched Ballard moon a bunch of Argo fans from his limo...

6 Likes

I have the PVR ready for this. Should be really entertaining. :smile:

One thing for sure - if he was around today operating the way he did in the 70s and 80s the media and politically correct brigade would have a field day with him. And he would have a field day with them too.

2 Likes

Thank you for reminder, added to pvr!

Imagine if his famous quote happened today. "Women should be kept barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen." :smile:

1 Like

I remember watching a documentary on him not long after he bought the Cats. They showed him in the Ivor Wynne press box with King Clancy and he had the binoculars firmly fixed on one of the cheerleaders. I’ll leave his comments to your imagination.

2 Likes

Yea Well what do think about him if you knew that is a testament about what he actually thought about the world

One of the few persons who has his name on both the Stanley Cup (1967) and the Grey Cup (1986) both as owner. The others are players Lionel Conacher, Carl Voss and Joe Miller.

2 Likes

How about when he did this in the late 70s at Maple Leaf Gardens after he purchased the Cats. Love him or hate him but that's pretty funny.

7 Likes

Harold wasn't the only CFL owner who ended up in prison . What was Bruce McNall convicted of?

Image result for Bruce McNall

conspiracy and fraud

On December 14, 1993, McNall pleaded guilty to five counts of conspiracy and fraud, and admitted to bilking six banks out of $236 million over a ten-year period. He was sentenced to 70 months in prison.
Shortly after taking control of the Leafs, Ballard stood trial on 49 counts of fraud, theft and tax evasion involving $205,000 . Ballard was convicted on 47 of the charges. Two months later, he was sentenced to nine years in a federal penitentiary. After a brief stay at Kingston Penitentiary, he was moved to a minimum-security facility that was part of Millhaven Institution. He finished his sentence at a halfway house in Toronto, and was paroled in October 1973

1 Like

I have the VCR ready for this…. Hope I can find a blank tape! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Beta or VHS? :smile:

1 Like

Please let us know if Tiger-Cats are mentioned. Not sure if Brandon from 90210 realizes the guy owned a football team as well.

2 Likes

I assume he does know but he may not follow the CFL

I caught 5 minutes around the 1/2 way point. ( I'll watch the whole thing later) .They were talking about the 86 Grey Cup and how it was his only championship as an owner in any league.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I still remember what happened at the Leaf's game after the Cats won that 1986 Grey Cup. Ballard brought a live tiger to Maple Leaf Gardens and walked it on the carpet to centre ice. This little pre-game ceremony caused the Toronto sports fans to "boo" him.

I'm guessing all the Argo fans attending the Leaf game were not too impressed. :smile:

2 Likes