Ball hitting the post

I could find the other topic abou this, so could the mods merged this one with that, please?

I have to ask everyone this question.

If the puck in hockey is shoot but hits the post, does the game spot and go into a face off? NO, it's play on!

The same should be on a ball hitting the post in the CFL, if a TD is scored by the kicking team, AWESOME! The blocking team also has a chance to get the ball and run it for a TD as well, don't they?

The ball should be consider a fumble and be live, enough said.

The posts are in the ground....Posts are considered part of the ground so passes off of it are considered incomplete. On kicks. you can still score a field goal if the bounce is right...(Like tonight in Toronto!) Punts, Kickoffs striking the post bouncing in any direction would cause kaos.

I think you would be a minority on the Rules commitee for this one KK.

Did you know that in hockey that if a football hit the post it's an automatic whistle.

Kanga why do you always compaire one sport to another. Football is one think hockey and rugby are another

KAOS? I say excitement!

Ro, live ball instead of a dead one is just better sistuation, I don’t care who you are. and there is nothing wrong while compairing one thing to another if you think that one it is done better than the other.

Smeone made a comparision to hockey in the last topic as well, if I’m not mistaken.

Well maybe if a player gets a penalty then, he should sit on the sideline for 2 minutes or until the other team scores.

just what I was thinking :lol:

Well Let's Take A Step Back From Picking On Poor Kanga And Entertain His Thoery. How Much Would The Game Really Be Changed If You Could Play The Ball Off The Goal Posts? It Would Hardly Make A Difference, The Ball Would Buonce Around A Bit On The Ten Yard Line Before Being Picked Up By The Returner. He'd Then Be Tackled At Or Around The 25 Yard Line, No Points Would Be Scored So It Really Doesn't Matter.

Writing This Post I Came Up With Two Questions:

1. If The Goal Post Are Considered Part Of The Ground Then On A Punt If The Ball Hits Them Is The Play Dead Or Still Live?
  2. If A Defencive Player Or Returner Are Bringing The Ball Out Of Their Owe Endzone And Then At The Three Yard Line They Turn Around And Throw The Ball At The Posts What Happends? ( I Know This Would Kinda Be A Stupid Thing To Do But I'm Just Wonderring If A Team Could Use This To Their Advantage)
  3. And Finally What Happends If The Ball Is Fumbled And Hits The Goal Post?

Thanks

Kanga kucha you are completley right....both the major football leagues should consider the big play potential... off the goal post...into the arm's....and down the field.... with the greatest of ease.. GO BOMBERS..

god not this crap again, are you going to say this everytime a ball hits the uprights?

probably, and then i say...once again....the uprights are out of bounds, just as if the ball hit the ground out of bounds, the ball is dead

I'll take a kick at those questions Bamboo: Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

1. If The Goal Post Are Considered Part Of The Ground Then On A Punt If The Ball Hits Them Is The Play Dead Or Still Live?

-- tough call. I'd say dead ball. Returning team gets scrimmage at their 35.

1. If A Defencive Player Or Returner Are Bringing The Ball Out Of Their Owe Endzone And Then At The Three Yard Line They Turn Around And Throw The Ball At The Posts What Happends? ( I Know This Would Kinda Be A Stupid Thing To Do But I'm Just Wonderring If A Team Could Use This To Their Advantage)

--that's a fumble...live ball.

1. And Finally What Happends If The Ball Is Fumbled And Hits The Goal Post?

--Still a fumble. live ball.

The rule is in place .. because when you are running a hundred miles and hour while looking in the air for a stray ball that hits a goalpost ... will probably result in death - especially when there are a dozen guys on the other side looking and waiting for you to be looking up for the ball ...

its a rule to protect players ... it has nothing to do with excitement. Try running into a 250 pound linebacker full speed while looking in the air .. its pretty obvious why the rule exists.

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

Good description…I never thought of it that way, but it makes great sense!

Yep - pay attention to Statik's words, Kanga. Now please - let's let this topic rest, if for no better reason than Kanga's health. I fear if this subject keeps appearing, he's gonna blow a gasket. . .

HAS ANYONE REALLY BEEN SEROIS HURT OR KILLED BECASE OF THIS???

and in hockey (sorry but this is a good example), isn't a player without a visor and rick of being blinded by the puck after it hits the post???

Apples and oranges, Kanga.

Dude I don't thinkn you get what he's saying.

In hockey if a puck hits a post a whistle isn't going to stop the puck from hitting a player in the face.

But in football if a ball hits the post and bounces back you then have a 190 pound returner running at the ball from one direction and a bunch of other really big guys running full steam at the ball from the other direction. Which means there is going to be a huge collision and possible injuries trying to recover the ball.

Making the ball live could also reward the kicking team for failing to properly do their job (get the ball through the uprights).

And don't compare posts in hockey and football, there two totally different games.

I say live or a single, not dead cuz that makes the game to much like the NFL!!!

Besides, players in the CFL aren't really that big. and the ball the last few tims it hit didn't go back on to the field, it went OB or landed in the end zone.

Okay - we've been through this before. In order to score a point, the ball has to make it INTO the end zone. If it hits the uprights, it is a dead ball, and therefore cannot possibly go through the endzone. As a live ball, it simply gets too dangerous. It's likely never to happen.

it hitting the post, the post being OB, wouldn’t that be like going OB IN the end zone and therefore a single?!?