Bad time for Ticat free fall

...the Ticats’ five-game losing streak and 3-7 record is no longer only a “sports? issue: It is the backdrop to an increasing growl of discontent from season-ticket holders, fans, and even taxpayers with little interest in the Canadian Football League or football.
The Tiger-Cats are the reason local taxpayers are putting $45 million into the construction of a new stadium. Much more is coming from all taxpayers’ pockets for the even larger provincial contribution. For that reason alone, every taxpayer has a vested interest in the fortunes of the team and, indeed, of the league.

Fan support is essential to the team’s survival in an era of unprecedented choice for sports fans and equally unprecedented competition for their disposable income. The last-place seasons of 2005, ’06, ’07 and ’08 were cumulatively disastrous and although fans have come back, there seems little doubt that maintaining all-important ticket sales in the long term depends on team success.

A part of the equation is that wider city support for the Tiger-Cats’ operation was tested through the debacle of 2010 in which the team’s management was widely (and sometimes unfairly) seen as an antagonist in the endless debate over a site for the new stadium, an ordeal in which suggested locations popped up and were beaten down like a Whack-a-Mole game writ large.

The third wobbly leg on this particular stool is that fans are in the dark on where the Ticats will be playing “home? games in 2013 while the new stadium is being built. London, Moncton, Guelph, Buffalo and even the option of an “every-game-a-road-game? have been floated. If club president Scott Mitchell knows what 2013 will look like, he isn’t saying.

Some fans, as evidenced by blog posts and letters to the editor, are feeling taken for granted: that the Ticats are neither giving value for money in game play nor including them in discussions about next year.

This is not the fourth-quarter with minutes to play. This is the start of the second half with time still to win. But the team has to do a better job — on field and off — before fans start heading for the exits. It cannot squander fan support in this last Ivor Wynne season nor take it for granted in the seasons to follow.
[url=http://www.thespec.com/opinion/editorial/article/796509--bad-time-for-ticat-free-fall]http://www.thespec.com/opinion/editoria ... -free-fall[/url]

Interesting reads but the people of Hamilton who feel the CFL needs the non-fans of the Cats so bad to survive as a league are delusional IMHO. I want our Cats to survive more than anything and will continue my seasons tickets, don't get me wrong, and am very happy we are getting a new stadium but I'm the first one to realize that one team in Southern Ontario is enough. Hamilton simply isn't needed at all for a successful CFL, or any pro league for that matter. Sometimes some people in this city think they are more important than they really are in the grand scheme of things. If some people want to blow up the new stadium development (although is this even possible with legal aspects to the PanAm bid at this point?) well let them go for it if it makes them happy, I certainly want no part of that that is for sure.

Hamilton is lucky to have a Canadian Football League team and with a great owner like Bob Young. Very lucky. Not often does this city get on national television for positive things other than steel factory closings which is a negative thing of course etc. The new stadium showcasing Hamilton on the national television platform is what this city needs, well one thing at any rate. Have some patience people, our team isn't playing well but that will change soon enough I'm sure.