Back-Up QBs

What is the best strategy for selecting back-up QBs?

Do you choose back-ups with similar skill sets to the starter so that they can slot into the same offensive schemes should the starter get injured?

Do you choose back-ups with different skill sets so that they can be put in to change momentum when a defence is shutting down the starter? Or, as we’ve seen in recent years, to run the ball in short yardage situations?

Do you simply choose the most talented guys you have in camp regardless of how they fit in to the main offensive schemes?

I was thinking about this a fair bit in 2019 when the Argos decided to keep Franklin and MBT. I expected they’d release MBT in favour of back-ups more in the mold of Franklin, with the ability to scramble and run, but keeping MBT seemed to work out well (somewhat).

I’m quite interested to see where a lot of back-ups will end up in 2020–guys like Franklin, Jennings, Pipkin, Bridge, Davis, etc.

I believe the B/U should be in the mold of the starter.

Having an offensive plan is not just a matter of picking a play. It’s about setting up and implementing a system that that utilizes the QB skill sets.
Where do receivers end up. How the O-line block. The role of the RB. When Nicholls went down the plan was based on his abilities. With Streveler it went very vanilla and predictable. And while he is fun to watch does anyone here think he could last more than a handful of games based on an Nicholls based offensive system?

I know that people will bring up the divergent skills of Streveller and Collaros.

But you can bet that Lapolice ripped up that playbook and built a proper one that could utilize Steveler and Collaros and that takes time and costs games. They went from 1st to 3rd.

In Batimore they decided to go with a phenomenally mobile QB, Lamar Jackson getting rid of Flacco.
Hired a new OC who had worked with Kapernick in SF. Then they got RG3 to be the B/U a guy with a similar skill to Lamar. They threw out the old playbook and totally designed a playbook to fit that style.

That’s the best idea in my mind. Calgary has done that in past. TO with Ray and his B/U over the years. Hamilton with their QB’s.

I agree that, all things being equal, matching the starters skillset is the ideal … but a more talented QB in a different m old is better that a skills match that just isn’t good enough/ready.

I wouldn’t put a Dan Marino with a Lamar Jackson, but I would say that only a 50% match with the best talent would be ideal. I think it is best when both QBs have a certain ability to run when needed.

Don’t want to be so different it taxes the Oline more.

A notable amount of difference can be a big plus though

A backup should not dress to be a short yardage guy. He should be the most all around talented replacement. Better than signing someone else when the starter goes down for a long time. That said, every team and situation are so varied, it’s all subjective.

I believe that only 2 QB’s are allowed on the game day roster this season.
So your Back up QB will also have to do Short yardage if you don’t want your #1 guy hitting the line

I thought it was three.
That wuz dumb.

It was three for many years, but they’re changing it back to two starting next season.

I’ve heard rumours that a third will be allowed if one is a National, but I haven’t seen anything to confirm that.

I agree with your take here. The strategy I’d want to implement would be having backups that can slot in to the offensive scheme as smoothly as possible.

Of course, as GHT120 points out, you don’t want to dress an unskilled QB just because he fits a mold. But hopefully your GM and scouting staff are skilled enough to bring several options into camp that would suit the OC’s schemes.

As to this question as it pertains.
Wen it was officially 3 QBs that dressed. One of the backups should and could easily by in a similar mode to your starter. While the other back can be that change of pace short yardage running type QB.

Now if the CFL does keep the rule of only dressing two QBs. Than they need to clarify and adapt some current rules as it starts a Dominoe affect.
1st and foremost the Cfl rule is/was that if your not listed as a QB you Cant take QB snaps in practice.
Surely that has to change. Teams are going to have to allow at least a 3rd or even more be allowed to take snaps in practice now. And also allow them to run Short Yardage. Many of the #3 QBs already play special teams.
Short
Yardage situations are now basically a special teams role for a QB. Much like a back up QB is often the holder for FG & XP. Place kicks. With those units are under the category of Special teams.
Really you can list that wuld of been the 3rd QB short yardage etc at any position. But if ya wana put a category on such a player.
But him on as an
ST(Special Teams player)
Much like A long snapper being listed as such. LS.

Then there is a rule that says only one listed as A QB is allowed on the field at any time. So as that coinsides with the above rule. Stevler Could not be on the field on offense the same time as Nichols/Collaros.
That surely needs to CHANGE.
Its almost a football crime. Robbing fans to allow strevler at RB, TE, FB, etc. While keeping Nichols/Collaros in.

A third rule i am unsure of.
On an offensive play at least one QB listed on the Roster has to be on the field at all times.
Not sure wats wat with that rule.
But it would mean that on using the uniwue Offenses that the Bombers and Ticats used. With multi talented skill players running or passing out of a wildcat formation. A QB listed had to be in the game.
With alot of 3rd QBs being used in multiple ways not a big deal.
But if teams can only dress 2 listed QB on the roster. That said rule if it is a rule should be erased.

The best is to get the most talented Qb’s on your roster first and foremost and if they are different in skill set then change the play book to reflect that when they are on the field .

Running QB or not they have to be able to pass at some point .

Would you rather have Tom Brady backing up Bledsoe or Kapernick .

Joe Montana’s interview .

While in New York City, promoting FanDuel’s new slate of free entry golf contests in midtown Manhattan, the legendary quarterback pointed to the kind of QB Kaepernick is as one major part of his struggles under center.

“That style of quarterback, everybody thought was going to take over the NFL,? he told For The Win on Tuesday. “You look at guys who had success in college, that only had success one year. Usually those guys, the next year, it’s very difficult on them.

“The league has figured out how to defend it,? he continued. “If I’m playing defense, I want the quarterback to run so I can hit him. In the pocket, you can’t really hit him. So you look at Tim Tebow — he’s a great guy, does a lot of great things. But when you complete 40-something percent of your passes, even in the low 50s, you’re not going to make it.?

The problem is that changing the play book is not such an easy thing to do and may require other changes in personnel and time to adapt.

It’s a bit different a proposition in the NFL as teams there build all their talent, including QBs, through a draft. In the CFL, it’s pretty rare to draft QBs that actually see playing time. O’Connor this year might be the first in a very long time (maybe first ever?). Anyways, I think CFL GMs have somewhat more leeway to target certain types of QBs when they recruit players.

Yes definitely the CFL is more versatile ( the ship is smaller to turn around ) ; you see it first hand with Vernon Adams and it’s pretty easy for a competent OC/HC to make a playbook designed for the QB .

I saw here with the RB’s a different play selection even for Harris and Burris because of arm strength . The OC didn’t hide it and both were not runners .

Strevelor is the best example of just altering the playbook for a running QB first and throw second style .

For me as a fan it’s fun and as an OC with some mental/physical talent to work with and allowing those attributes of the QB shine must be a personal achievement /accomplishment .

The game will always evolve so styles & types of QB sets will change. Some styles will work and stick. Some wont and wont stick.

The biggest problem with young QBs is age old.
Pro Football uses college football as its minor league.

In the 1960’s & into the 70’s alot of top powerhouse teams were running things like the Wishbone offense. So things like that didnt translate into the Pro Game.
But during that era. Drafted College QBs. Sat as back ups for a few years as the solitified Veteran QB played out the end of his career. Pro teams would draft a young QB. When they knew their guy was coming near the end. Thinking a few years ahead.

That next Era from around the 1980’s into the early 90’s. College coaches began running pro style offenses. So altough the pro game was much faster. Young incoming QBs could play early even as rookies with success. The obstacle was how fast could they adapt to the speed of the pro game.

Now we are in the Era of the Spread Offense in College football.
Now young rookie QBs are thrown into as starting QBs right away putting a square peg into a round hole.
The ones that survive are those who can run. Many times cause they are running for their life LOL.
Risk they will get injurured early and flame out reward they survive and become pro QB.
The Spread offence QBs outa college who pass for thousands & thousands of yards in college but arent mobile but are that prottype 6’5 pocket passers.
Mostvof them thrustvinto action off the get go are sitting ducks in the pocket pile up ints & poor passing %. Get there clocks cleaned with sacks cause they cant read defense and hold the ball way too long.
There careers are over before ya know it