Back Up QBs

danny Mac won as a back up. A few others have as well.

Guess every team in the CFL is made of Glass then…

let me rephrase then. First year back ups don’t win Grey Cups. I hope Matthews proves me wrong and Austin can get this kids confidence back and playing well. Most of all I hope Zach comes back soon and here is no real damage to his ACL

Collaros is still learning himself. He’s only been a starter for the eqivilant of one and a half seasons…
There hasnt been time to develop someone for this spot.
You can blame austin for not having a true veteran backup since we knew we are a competing team… but to give Matthews garbage time reps isn’t the answer.

And Burris and Collaros didn’t win Grey Cups…

Henry Burris Grey Cup Champion 2008

back ups thrust into a starter role. Burris was a starter in 2008

I wouldn’t rule this out. Does anyone know when the trade deadline is? Last year it was October 15. Obviously it depends upon how good Austin thinks his backups can be and what the Riders would want for Glenn. Austin has made a lot of good decisions in his time here: I trust him.

I agree Mathews played poorly but he was being pressured every time he went back to pass .The loss of Olson was huge as Austin had to move our right tackle to the left (Lewis ) and Rice became our right tackle .they both got schooled all day because Austin did not dress Joel Figueroa, .I noticed this pressure austin should have kept blockers in to help them

actually, Chuck Ealey was a first year backup/rookie for the Cats in 1972 and won the Grey Cup that same year.

It will be interesting to see how Mathews reacts. He is a great QB in the making.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Call Jim Barker and propose a trade for Ricky Ray…
In return for Ray, Austin offers Laurent, Hickman, Bomben, Tasker and Banks plus the Ti-Cats first round picks in '16 and '17 and three players to be named later.

With that offer, Jim Barker may at least return Austin’s call. :slight_smile:

no excuse for a 2 nd string backup getting 9 live passes :thdn: it’s not like we didn’t run up the score on a few games??? :wink:

Up to about 1 half hour ago all the new I have heard pertaining to Zach’s injury is as follows,
“Zach Collaros has a knee injury.” This doesn’t tell us much, does it?Judging from the way Zach
left the field and later returned with his knee wrapped in an ice pack, I would suggest we still
don’t know the nature of his injury. Based on what I’ve heard up to now, it might not be all that
serious.
Immediately fallowing his injury one of the announcers said that it “could be his ACL” which indeed
is serious but I think we are still awaiting confirmation on the nature of this injury and when we
might see Zach back in action.
I fully agree with the theory that if Zach is out for a time, Mathews is our man behind centre. Hopefully,
a week of training (retraining) him will show that he has more than enough ability to lead this team.

@niagara al - McPherson was not even on the roster when Calvillo quit! He had become a free agent and either was not -re-signed or chose to walk looking for a starter’s job since AC planned to play at least another season. AND contrary to what you said, McPherson DID get some playing time - not a lot, but I can remember a year or two when they rested AC at the end of the season with 1st place already sewn up, and played McPherson.

@spike - The Riders started Glenn last night. They are NOT going to trade him away unless we maybe gave up a boatload of our national talent (they are a little thin there). Then WE’D be the ones with no national depth! The only way that this team has kept playing at a high level with TWENTY guys on the injured lists (before last night),is because we have good depth of talent, especially Canadian.

crash -

Collaros is still learning himself. He’s only been a starter for the eqivilant of one and a half seasons…
There hasnt been time to develop someone for this spot.

I agree that there really hasn’t been time to develop anyone else. LeFevour was offered an extension but chose to sign where he might have a better chance to start. Masoli, as we saw last season, isn’t t the answer. Where I would disagree “slightly” - and you can say that this is splitting hairs if you like - is the length of time Zach has started. With the injury that put ZC out early last season, Zach has only had meaningful starts since last Labour Day (forget the “so-called” GD re-match in Regina) or just a couple of games more than a year.

I wasn’t saying the Cats should trade for Glenn. I was saying I wouldn’t rule it out.

The Riders are 1-11. If they decide they need to develop the future, they don’t need Glenn. Hamilton is the most likely trading partner. At a guess the price would be the Cats’ first round draft choice and that’s an obvious disadvantage to the Cats. But the advantage is that with Glenn the Cats probably can be reasonably confident of winning enough games to be in the playoffs. If the Cats go with their current QBs, it really is rolling the dice.

IMO, trading for Glenn should only be considered if Collaros is out for 4 to 6 games, but is projected to be back for the playoffs. If it will be quicker, hallelujah and the Cats will have a shot without a trade. If he’s out for the season, I would rather gamble on the current QBs than go with Glenn’s post-season record.