Awe, Stampeders agree to contract extension

CALGARY — The Calgary Stampeders have signed American linebacker Micah Awe to a contract extension, the team announced on Friday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2024/02/09/awe-stampeders-agree-to-contract-extension

That leaves Hamilton Saskatchewan Winnipeg Edmonton left to play for.

Yay, looking forward to seeing him go helmet-to-helmet every few games this year and get fined but not suspended. :roll_eyes:

Stay classy, Calgary.

5 Likes

Yup. Flat out the dirtiest player in the league…I was hoping he would go away somewhere but I guess not.

4 Likes

Suits favorite player . Sickening watching and listening to him absolutely gush and drool over Awe every chance he gets . :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Micah Awe (born January 4, 1994) is a Nigerian-born Canadian football linebacker for the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He played college football at Texas Tech. Awe has also been a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets, Toronto Argonauts, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Ottawa Redblacks, BC Lions, and Montreal Alouettes.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

On February 18, 2020, it was announced that Awe had signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to a two-year contract. However, he did not play in 2020 due to the cancellation of the 2020 CFL season and was released by the Blue Bombers on January 31, 2021

Had him, didn’t want him…sent him packing.

Excellent signing. I was anxiously awaiting this. He was awesome in 2023 and will advance even more. Yes he got a penalty but I am sure he will be better this season with his hits.

1 Like

Not necessarily a Calgary not being classy things.

this. it’s not even close. guy should be banned from the playing field.

3 Likes

If he was being judged based on his stats alone he surely would have been one of the top defensive free agents available. But like Edwards in Hamilton, I’m guessing there wasn’t a lot of interest or huge offers because of his shenanigans and frequent helmet to helmet hits. Calgary probably got him on the cheap compared to a player with similar stats but some character. He never seems to get disciplined worse than a fine and I hope that any further transgressions attract meaningful punishment.

6 Likes

From a fan that once cheered on Kyries Hebert… Glass Houses

Hebert never hid what he did, and I agree he was a dirty player. But he was also from a different football generation. Awe literally got fined four times last year for dangerous hits but somehow was never suspended. Not great.

4 Likes

Awe is one of those players every coach wishes they had.

1 Like

he ended Jon Cornish’s career with one of the dirtiest headshots I have ever seen in football. He received the maximum fine for that one and was fined many times. he even called Cornish “soft” long after the latter retired from concussion injuries. Hebert was a disgrace to the Als. Like Awe, he should have been removed from the field for his transgressions. There’s no place for dirty disrespectful football in any generation.

3 Likes

Maybe the fact he gets fined and NOT suspended is proof he is not actually the dirtiest player in league

Chris van Zeyl ended J.P. Bekasiak’s career with a dirty chop block. This kind of stuff happens. I agree that Hebert should have been removed. I’m just saying that he grew up in a generation where the research on concussions wasn’t prevalent and he himself admits he was taught to lead with his helmet on hits. I agree with what you’re saying, though.

A.J. Gass was no beauty either.

2 Likes

Great signing
Now Find A QUARTERBACK

They just signed Jesus haven’t you heard ? In Shiltz we trust !

Yeah, but back then the rule on hitting was “stick em in the sternum”…

1 Like

Well yeah, and that’s kind of my point. Hebert came up in a very different football era, when players were told to play through head shots. I’m not saying it’s justified at all. But it was a different time.

1 Like