Austin steps down

Guess I was wrong.

Wow I have been calling for this for some time and am happy he stepped down. Don't know wjat JJ will bring but I hope its a new Offensive system that uses our players in a more aggressive way. Run and throw the ball downfield.

The D needs to play more man coverage IMO but I'm not a coach but all season they have been playing off and receivers are catching the ball.

here we go...

Quote from: vinny onTodayat 02:32 PM

This still doesnt mean anything because we dont know if Austin still has the controls of the who, what, where, when, how and why of recruitment. If he still controls those decisions, then this wont help player quality in the future, and we will still be where we are today.

If his control is drastically reduced (ie he signs off on all moves presently), or replaced with an individual or individuals who actually can name and describe a specific player on another CFL team, and can actually assess players all across North America, then we will be taking the first step toward team stability.

Things may or may not improve this year on the field, but my concern is not this year, it is who is responsible for bringing in QUALITY players AND coaches in the future. If it is Austin, then today’s news is fake news just to appease the fans.

Eric Tillman is the GM…

I dont know how long you have been a team fan, but Eric Tillman may be the GM in title, but he reports to Austin. Tillman can present an idea to Austin, but Austin is the one that agrees or disagrees with the idea presented (ie Trades)

"I dont know how long you have been a team fan, but Eric Tillman may be the GM in title, but he reports to Austin. Tillman can present an idea to Austin, but Austin is the one that agrees or disagrees with the idea presented (ie Trades)"

I've been a fan for more than 40 years.

He's not a rookie.Eric Tillman is accomplished in his position.

We don't know how much autonomy Eric has.

my point is Eric and whoever may be smart, but if he or someone else brings forward an idea (ie a player to sign), Eric may like him, but Austin has to agree. If he doesnt then we dont get that player. It is Austin signing off on everything that has to change. By the way, he has disagreed with Tillman many times.

The result of Austin's decisions is 0-8 so far, and we were not great when we went to the Grey Cup either.

Well said mr62,time tells all.

1. I would imagine the change was made now, to see how Jones does for the balance of this
    season.
    If there is no marked improvement then I would expect to see the search for someone else to
    start after the season is over !!

My gut says the plan was for June Jones to become HC after this season and the change is being made now to sell some tickets and hold on to some STHs, sponsors and maybe even players. The answer to your first question, vinny, could perhaps be answered in looking at how this was announced – “Kent Austin has named June Jones HC.” I think it was clear, prior to this, that our “GM” could not decide the fate our HC because the latter also carried a title that put him above the GM on the Football Ops “depth chart.” BUT, shouldn’t the GM, now be higher up than the ladder than the new HC? And, shouldn’t it be the GM making the appointment?
I’m happy with the decision, and whoever made it, that Austin is no longer HC. Perhaps time will help me decide what I think of the choice of replacement and the overall structure of the club’s Football Operations.

Palmer: I guess you missed it. Austin chose to step down. It’s on him if things don’t work out. Again. Not us.

Again, you’re assuming this…
It was thefirst two years of Austin’s coaching time here…to take over a 6-12 team from the year before and take them to the Grey Cup twice in two years …I would say that’s something…

thank goodness there is something called the East Division in the CFL

It’s June in August wow didn’t see this coming . Hope it’s going to work is this better than bringing in say La Police ?! Or is this really an interm for 2017 to try to shake it up and get some wins ?! Opinion is Patazak gone next?!

I feel actually sad hearing this news i think of the back to back Cup losses where we were one flag away well let the Caretaker’s 5 then 10 now say 15 year plan start now :frowning:

The argos finished first in the east in 2013 and Ray was leading them…we beat them in their stadium…convincingly…

Yes the cup game wasn’t pretty…had to eventually turn it off…

2014 played a solid Calgary team and came within one play of winning it…

Maybe he’ll start Masoli…

According to Marshall Ferguson, Jones' contract is for this year and next year.

Austin (and Tillman) are good football minds who have had success for the majority of their careers. It wouldn't make sense to fire them and start from scratch, especially considering that, in my opinion, a lot of the adversity the Ticats have had so far this year is due to key injuries. So bringing in a new HC like Jones now (with half a season for him to tinker and evaluate) is the right move.

I'm interested in a few things going forward. Namely, with Jones now as HC,...

-will we run the ball more?
-will the offensive strategy change? (i.e. more QB roll outs/Collaros not always just standing predictably in the pocket)
-will Collaros be more effective now because his relationship with Austin (for whatever reason) was strained this year?
-will the entire team start to perform better due to the abovementioned reason?
-will Austin's favourites who have underperformed this year (Gable, Lawrence) continue to be guaranteed playing time?

Before judging Jones,remember, he has inherited a team with key injuries halfway through a winless season. He is not a miracle worker. As long as I see players battling for Jones out there, that will be enough for me...at least for the rest of this year.

When did fans start attending games based on who the HC was/is? If June Jones is just KA in disguise and is just as loyal to starting Zach and with no run game, the result will be the same. Changing the coach without a change of game plan & underperforming players will do nothing. And trading Chick won't do anything to spark the pathetic offense.

Yeah, those Grey Cup appearances were so disheartening after all those years in the basement. Glad we don’t have to worry about it this year.

my point there is when you build a team like Calgary, very good year over year, then you know you built something to speak about....until then......and we are nowhere near that level

i loved that Grey Cup game against Saskatchewan just as much as you did ::slight_smile:

The deal for Jones was for two years when he was signed…Methinks this was probably in the works weeks ago…And Jones will probably be here at least until the end of next season…