Austin Called The Right Play To Win...Twice!

Another reason that dump to Gable was a great call - if it had been complete, running it into the end zone would have burned off most, if not all, of the clock, but if incomplete, as it was, it left time on the clock for another attempt. Brilliant call. This wasn't just another one-shot, let's get a touchdown call. This was a call with built-in risk mitigation. Succeed and we win. Fail and we have another chance to win.

Over the last few days, I’ve read so much about this play, I’m really interested in seeing it for my own eyes. I will keep your comments in mind when I do view it.

Thank you.

Just don’t cry when you watch it. I’m thinking a few of us did when we watched it live. :cry:

At least this game wasn’t like the seven games last year where we lost by less that a touchdown. The team made the stop on defence (and THAT’S the difference from last year) and marched downfield for the chance to win the game.

He made a pretty good throw to Fantuz in the first half (maybe 40 to 50 yards in the air). What does he have to do to prove to you that he can throw the long ball - throw one 60 or 70 yards? He can and does throw long with accuracy. Probably the most accurate long ball thrower in the league.

:P

Of course if the attempt had been good, the blew team would have gone for 2 on their last (out of bounds) td by Inman, increasing their lead to 3 from 2 (if they blew out Waters’ groin and went for the single). If successful with the 2 point convert we could have seen ot.

I finally got a chance to sit down with the game today.

I could not believe that Gable dropped the ball with seconds left in the game. He caught a dandy in a similar play earlier. All he had to do was make a simple catch and with two lineman in front of him just jog into the end zone.

Looked to me that the DB on the following play against Fantuz grabbed some jersey at least twice before the throw. Interference? Somehow I suspect that the Argos knew it, as Scott Milanovich cleared the field as quickly as he could afterward.

At one point during the broadcast, Miller asked Dunigan who has the best arm in the league. In a game, with Ray on the field for comparison, Dunigan said, without hesitation that it is Burris.

Austin was smart enough to groom Condell with them thinking the same for the years they spent in the Ivy League. Now He can be the HC without having to take on the duty of play calling and having the confidence in the Guy calling the play.
Reason why he will be successful where many other offensive minded HC are not they do not have the trust in anyone else to make the play calls

Yes, that is what he said. “The players drops of the balls were not his fault.” Since the OP used players (plural), the use of his (singular) is referring to the “he” in the title. That, of course, being Austin. If you didn’t recognize that the OP was referring to Austin not being at fault for the dropped passes, I would like to know who you thought he was talking about because I can’t see how you could think he was referring to anyone but Austin.