Aussies are non-imports?

David Naylor says

... any player who has never played North American football qualifies as a "Canadian" or non-import in the CFL.
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=378893

The CFL says a non-import is

a player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate of 7 years prior to turning 15 or if he’s a Canadian Citizen, was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of 5 years prior to turning 18.
http://www.cfl.ca/page/game_rule_ratio

I don't see any interpretation of the definition from the CFL's own website that would allow for what Naylor says. Is the CFL not telling us something, or is Naylor out to lunch?

The CFL website doesn't have all the rules, regulations and By-laws listed. The CFL By-Laws indicate that an import player is defined as:

Section 8, paragraph 6:

(a) A player who has received training in football outside of Canada by having participated as a player in a football game outside of Canada prior to attaining the age of seventeen years. (b) A player who has received training in football outside of Canada by having participated in a football game as a player outside of Canada after attaining the age of seventeen years, but who has received no football training in Canada prior to attaining the age of seventeen years.
One of the definitions of a non-import in the By-laws is:

Section 8, paragraph 7:

A Player other than one referred to in paragraph 6.
Those definitions have been around for many years (prior to 2002 from what I've found).

Good job, Blue Blood..you always have such a good grasp of the rules.

Who'da thunk? I guess I would've been an import. I played several games in the US prior to the age of 17, against US teams while in high school in BC.

You would have been an NI since you were receiving your actual football training in Canada. If being on a Canadian based team but playing a few games in the US meant that the players were considered imports then every player on Team Canada at the world junior football championship would now be considered imports.

You can find some more CFL doc's, including a partly out-of-date bylaws (the latest amendment to the non-import status isn't in there).

http://cfldb.ca/cba/

In 1987, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers brought WR/KR Ken Winey into the CFL. Winey was born and raised in the US. He attended school in the US. He never played football in the US. His sport was track and field. No US football meant that he qualified as a non-import.

So yes it is true, Aussies (or any other foreigners) who have backgrounds in Aussie Rules, Rugby or Soccer would qualify as non-imports if they have not played football.

I think that was true a few years ago, but I think that they changed those rules a few years back. I’m not sure though.

What I quoted from is the 2006 version of the By-Laws and the 2010 CBA has nothing in it changing that part of the definition.

If Aussies truly do count as non-imports then CFL teams would be wise to recruit some kickers/punters from the area since that area has produced some high quality kickers.