August 8 @Toronto

B Smith looked good for a rookie, he's a keeper, I missed the Edmonton game as I was away so did not see him play there, our D has improved, except for turn overs, Special teams seem solid...
Now if we could cut penalties to about 6 a game, we'd win games... stupid play by professionals, and Vets!! uncalled for!!

Smith looked pretty good against the Esks for a rookie who took 1 day of starter reps and went against the number 1 D.

the penalties make it unwatchable. I am glad NFL is up…I likely won’t watch much more CFL this season.

WHAT!!! And miss all the follies otherwise known as our team? WUSS. Come on now if your a die hard Rider fan you should have to suffer along with the rest of us. It’s like seeing your neighbor standing naked in their window, you know you shouldn’t watch but you just can’t help yourself.
[url=http]
http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/10.gif
[/url]

It has little to do with the Riders…I have not watched many games this year…it is just bad. There have been some great games but overall it is just too annoying. The wife has been coming to games since I had pads on until now and she is iffy on attending any more herself. I am sure she will come out just because it is nice to see some people we don’t see that much since we moved north…but yeah…she is probably a bigger fan of the game than me, so that says a lot. I think another factor in watching fewer games is them attempting to spread them over 3-4 days…we have other things we want to spend time on

I know what your saying. Watching the last game was painful and not because of the results but more because after almost every play the refs had to have a conference and decide on not what penalty but how many penalties they decide to hand out. Just zero flow to the game and it was getting to the point of being redundant. If you seriously wanted to on almost every play of every game there is probably a minor infraction happening, the question is does it really effect the play or the outcome of the game? It seemed like the refs were on a mission to make sure they had more air time then the actual game did. Fans want a fair game but they don't want to watch nylon flying on every single down and then instead of just making the call the refs having a tea party to make a decision. It's boring and kills the atmosphere of the game.

The CFL has to get a handle on this as it is killing fan interest of either going to the games or even watching it on tv. No one wants to sit for 4 + hours due to the refs wanting to be the stars of the game.

I thought all these new rule changes where to help speed up the game, all I have seen is a really slow game, because of all the penalties handed out, everyone you talk to states the same, getting hard to watch when more time is spent handing out penalties than actual play action!!

Yes, I haven't watched much this year, either. Not only because of the state of the Riders, but moreso because of the way the games are being smothered to death. First, too many commercials (CFL could take a lesson from Premier League soccer - NO commercials except at half time), and then way too many penalties. I saw a bit of the Calgary/Winnipeg game a few weeks ago, and it was the only one that wasn't killed by penalties. Lots of action and flow. This could be the death knell of the CFL unless they get it together.

But the amount of penalties has nothing to do with the new rules. Offside, procedure, these fouls have been in the rule book for 100 years. Roughing the passer, hands to the face 30 or 40 years. Time count ever since the electric clock at least 50 years.