August 5 start, 14 game season, Dec 12 Grey Cup

CFL still counting on opening season in western Canada

1 Like

What Dave Naylor on should have said on Draft Day is that all 6 provinces basically support the initial health and safety measures in what is a multi-step approval process. Support from the provinces is required to get to the next step. They are not at the final phase yet, so that is why there is no approval for play.

Essentially, there is no setback as implied by BC and Ontario's statements. The process of getting approval to play (having fans in the stands is another matter) is continuing and an final answer will not be known until probably close to the time a decision is needed to open training camp in order to start the season August 5.

They need a decision before July, no sense in bringing players to camp and then finding out they can’t play because the premiers won’t give the go ahead for fans in the stands.
The teams can’t sell any tickets until they know if and how many tickets they can sell. and they don’t want to be scrambling at the last minute to sell tickets.

2 Likes

:poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop:

2 Likes

That confirms it, kind of.

There may not be a season.

Hopefully Ford gets voted out for no other reason other than his utter lack of leadership in navigating through the pandemic.

Horgan showed better leadership by allowing Dr. Henry do be the voice of reason. The heat’s on her.

That’s an awful lot of responsibility on one’s shoulders.

1 Like

Still thinking that an eight game season starting up after Labour Day may be the ticket. It gets them back on the field - some people should be in the seats by then (???). Each team plays each other once - play-off and Grey Cup then to a full off season and a 2022 REGULAR Regular Season.

I think the September start might be more realistic.

Gets worse every day, a couple of days ago it was Henry in BC saying that she doesn’t see fans in the stands this summer.
Today it’s the Mayor of Toronto canceling the CNE in August plus the Indy car race, the Carib festival and the Labor Day parade.
He’s saying no outdoor events at all which means no events at BMO or the Rogers Centre.

I disagree. There is plenty of setback and the need for firm, alternative plans NOW given that there will not be fans in the summer in Ontario and in BC for a gate-driven league.

We are not falling back into that “start after Labour Day” narrative, which we have covered as a plan for deferred financial failure again much as it was even last year even had things worked out with COVID.

Again, show financially even such a prospect of an 8-game season that is feasible. It’s easy to come up with theories when you are not the one who has to foot the bill. The “after Labour Day” narrative is a smokescreen for a deferred cancellation.

The sad will be if they can’t have a season, I don’t see how they will recover from this.

This talk with the XFL is a desperate attempt to recoup their losses due to their (owners) ineptness and inability along with the unwillingness to embrace the medium of TV and changing with the times.

Today’s sports is more screen driven than before with tickets being a fraction of the revenue.

The CFL will always be considered small and bush league because the owners that run them over the years have been treating it as such.

It’s all about perception which can be a reality if you look for it long enough.

1 Like

Not really. The CFL moves the East Division teams to Shell Place in Fort McMurray. Play there until the Ontario Gov’t allows mass gathering. The SP seats 5000, but can expand to 20,000. Less travel within western play. Seed the local economy by food, lodgings for teams. This would be a good back up plan to play by August

1 Like

Really? The team in the province with the least active cases per capita should play in the province with the highest amount? 6 times higher to be exact!

Alberta has opened up the movie industry. They are open to hosting the Women’s World Hockey Championships. I don’t think there would be any problem with temporary hosting CFL teams on a limited basis of 4 to 6 weeks or until the Ontario Gov’t approves mass gathering in open venues.

John Tory may have cancelled the CNE, Honda Indy, Caribeanna(sic), but he didn’t exactly say no to the Toronto Argos or the Leafs if it wants to host playoff games

1 Like

Gee! I wonder why Alberta has the highest number of active cases per capita?

Play in the safest province…Quebec…Not the most dangerous…Alberta

Yes, that is a good idea and a favorable location, but than the East teams have to fly to play Western teams and visa versa which would be an added cost on an already money losing season

1 Like

Maybe I misunderstood…you are suggesting all games be played in Alberta?

Only temporary.

I’m lumping in the Alouettes for the sake of convenience. It wouldn’t make sense to have Montreal the only team playing out of the East. I realize the Als have their own jet, but the cost flying to each road game would be enormous for the S&S owners who just bought into the league

1 Like

but make sure you speak french :slight_smile:

So then what is the difference if everyone plays in Quebec or in Alberta?
Other than Quebec being 6 times safer?