August 5 start, 14 game season, Dec 12 Grey Cup

Again I am not saying that it does not get cold...but on average its not cold I think fans in Edmonton and Calgary would agree with me

1 Like

naah, minus 5 is just balmy :slight_smile:
I love -30 when dressed appropriately

2 Likes

I’m still wearing long-johns.

One digit is not even freezing yet

I still wear a light(ish) jacket at -10 and windchill is total BS!

But let me give all you cold weather woses(spelling some advice!
Stop wearing long underwear and hooded parkas in Oct! Let your body get used to the cold!

If you don’t believe me
 8 deg in Sept or Oct people complain its cold! 8 Deg in jan and people take off their coats and bask in the sun!
WHy? Its the same temperature

Unfortunately we live in a time of a emo generation filled with weakness.

If you don’t give your body time to climitize to the current conditions, of course you can fall ill.

Never overdress for the summer and never underdress for the cold.

3 Likes

Damn
I thought it was “ never underdrink for the cold.”

1 Like

Nothing like a little Brandy can’t fixđŸ»

1 Like

CFL Fan Question

All this talk of cold and drinking and live football has me wondering now in slow-time, who here will admit to the following?

1. How many CFL games have you attended into which you have sneaked a flask?
  2. What was in the flask? Please be specific.

How many games haven’t I would be more appropriate.
Whiskey.
Jameson’s to be specific.

2 Likes

Brandy and staples
it’s not cheating if you don’t get caught.

1 Like

Not so long ago would always bring a thermos of ‘smart’ coffee for playoff games. Basically coffee plus anything alcoholic. Though they would probably confiscate it now.

2 Likes

Sounds good for those October games. But unfortunately harder to do now.
That’s why in my eyes, the flask beats Guttenburg’ printing press as the most important invention of the last thousand years.

3 Likes

Which to me should be never overdress for the cold too early in the season

We used to smuggle in “mickeys”, 12oz bottles. Whiskey for me, some chose rum or lemon gin. The stadium would sell cone shaped containers of pop which came with cups. You dumped about half the pop, and replaced it with the booze. Trouble was, because you didn’t take the container home, you drank the entire container, causing a lot of drunken fans!

I think selling alcohol actually has reduced drunkenness as most people have one or two drinks, and the sellers can cut off those who are becoming drunk.

2 Likes

Yes, but you are remembering the good ole days when a CFL crowd was much younger than they are today.
Most fans are older and careful and with strict drunk driving laws don’t drink too much.

1 Like

It depends aFan if you go to a Ottawa game the old guys aren’t there it’s the younger folk mostly .

It surprises me but the young folk loved the Lumber Industry Ottawa Valley theming with Joe Mufferaw and have supported the team with a night or day outing .

I think Ottawa was the reason they thought Toronto would be a cake walk .

I never go to an Argos game without my "mini mickey" a 6oz plastic bottle of rye from the Liquor Store. I refill them of course, and the aluminum cap seems to pass through metal detectors with no problem. It is easily concealed in a regular pocket and passes the pat test when security is even greater. Buy a big coke at the start of the game and Bob's your Uncle. The tradition of sneaking a little CC into the game is just part of the joy of it all. Can't wait to get back at it, fingers crossed!

1 Like

But he hinted there could be, under the tourism file, federal money earmarked for festival activities in the week leading up to the championship Grey Cup game.

“I’m giving you the view from a Prairie guy who understands the importance of that league to our identity and the Grey Cup itself — speaking of festivals — is a major national event that has meaning for a lot of Canadians,” he said.

Part of this year’s tourism funding pot sets aside “$200 million for large festivals,” Carr said.

The CFL may be able to get a million or so out of it. But I’m sure the city of Hamilton and the province too will contribute to it as part of a festival.
But if no fans in the stands it won’t be much of a festival but maybe virtual festival.

Maybe somebody brought this point up in one of these threads weeks before, but this announcement was out from the CFLPA via another site on Friday.

With pro sports it's always "next man up" so there is no shortage of supply of players.

What there is a shortage of in all of football as well as pro football is quality players and quality play, for pro football can only be played like we demand as fans (and like the advertisers and media pay for) after ample proper training and organization by better players.

We know there are no guarantees even with the best players on the field, for we know all too well the games marred by failed basics such as many penalties, poor offence, and poor tackling such as one will see often in any given amateur game (and if you are like me have generally no interest exception perhaps for those with a son or relative playing).

And so though early June is discussed as the next crossroads for the discussions by the league with the XFL, as far as getting the best product on the field they better square some things away with the best players earlier here in May I figure.

The good news is that all players are working out now as pros eager to play. Even diminished uncertainty to the smallest degree right here in May would be helpful, or how many more will bail as have many veterans?

Some go back to work and some go to indoor football and live to play for another day and some go into various coaching roles and so forth.

A return to play is a milestone and achievement at this point as well.

Knowing most fans though, if after the euphoria and novelty of a few weeks wears off with a horrible product on the field, well then that's not the best road to travel down either in the long road ahead beyond 2021 for the CFL.