Attendance

Very true :smiley:

Isn't a little early in the season for this.? :?

I would be happy if the ARGOS get 20,000+ for a week end game in the middle of summer. :thup: Plus the ARGOS lost their first game which doesn't help.

true, losing the first game does not instill fan morale, although with a few breaks the Argos could have won the game.
and Ray was a very solid 29/39 (74%) 298 yds 1TD with no INT’s for the night, and cannot be blamed for the close loss.

The club revealed many positives and should improve over the course of the season.

My rose colored glasses mentality still believe the Argos could avg. 27-30,000 for the season with a decent run.

I would be interested in how each club did with season tickets...

Bombers

[url=http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/teams/story/?id=396851&hubname=cfl-blue_bombers]http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/teams/story/?id=3 ... ue_bombers[/url]

I would imagine the sold over 23000...a record...kudos

Riders

[url=http://www.leaderpost.com/Saskatchewan+Roughriders+eager+improve+bottom+line/6794652/story.html]http://www.leaderpost.com/Saskatchewan+ ... story.html[/url]

looks like 26000...pretty good after last year!

Exactly. The team needs to keep prices down as much as possible to attract more casual fans rather than the new apparent trend in the league of taxing your existent fan base in order to grow revenues. The one team that has consistently resisted this trend is also the one that leads the league in attendance year after year. Coincidence?.. :wink:

I think teams should charge whatever Market will bare between sidelines but end zone seats should not be priced higher than 20.00 in any city. Those are the tickets most young people buy if they are interested in going to live games or single parents with kids. Also that is what creates most of the atmosphere in a stadium

I think what Toronto did in their exibition game was a good start to try and revive a almost dead market ! There is no short term fix in Toronto, going to take a lot of exposure and time to get a solid fan base . Just hope they don’t land a NHL team :? :smiley:

Giving away certain tickets for cheap in order to fill more seats, but not giving them away directly for free, is the best idea I have read on here so far. Good call Hfx! If Toronto did that for the exhibition game too, great all the same.

Good comments below by EastVan and Rhymes too.

The Argos can't give away tickets and then turn around and laugh at the Bufffalo Bills fiasco.

…totally agree that opening night is not as big of a deal as it is in other sports but I would ask why does this have to be so? Baseball has a 162 games but yet manages to have highly successful opening days. The NFL has a very successful opening night promotion and I won’t even begin to discuss how big the opening of the NCAA season is in the U.S. In Canada, the football season is only 18 games long. Surely we can come up with some bigger, better promotion for opening night. One idea might be to have only one featured game on opening night in which the league could help promote in order to ensure a large crowd. Hopefully, that game could serve as a spark for other teams. Not to mention the league has started on or near Canada Day the last few seasons. Why not incorporate Canada Day celebrations (i.e. fireworks) into the post-game activities? That would all but ensure a large crowd and be a great way to build some momentum for the rest of the year

Attendance won’t go up in Hamilton for thier 2nd home game. That will be their biggest crowd ,probably until labour day. I think Montreal will be interesting this year. Hopefully they still get close to 25k! Last year they averages 2 or 3 k less then capacity. Whick in a 32 000 stadium is ok, but not 25k.

I think it is a little different when the Argos are giving tickets to children in a “no bullying” promotion, then when Rogers is sending employees out to give out tickets to anybody walking on the street just to paper the Rogers Centre.

My girlfriend works for a business that is affiliated with Rogers. A Rogers rep came into her place of business and gave away A LOT of tickets for the Bills Game last year, she said as many tickets as you wanted :roll: We went, left at half time, BORING !! and had good seats :thdn:

Agreed. I think they were relying a little too much on the reno to attract more people but it hasn’t work, other than the 1st game back last year and the playoffs. It was disappointing that only half the building was filled last week given it was the “Grey Cup rematch” and a night when Geroy was in a position to break the record. If I wasn’t a season ticket holder I doubt I’d be getting out to any games at BC Place simply because I see no value in buying single game tickets for games. Its just too high. One thing I found really annoying is I had my tickets paid off months ago and a week before the opening preseason game the Lions were literally giving tickets away just to get to 24k that showed up. I know it was only preseason and even the NFL struggles to get respectable attendance for preseason, but it just really seemed like a big act of desperation. Hopefully the Lions continue on the path they’re and continue to be successful for years to come, that should help to increase attendance.

torontoproud , it is just so nice to have you back.

No , what is does prove about the BILLS is that there is not enough interest in the NFL in , Toronto.
Which is what WE have been saying for years. :roll:
The fact the the NFL bombed in Toronto killed any slim chance of a NFL team coming to Canada. :thup:
Rogers looked like total suckers because the only people to benefit from this whole stupid exercise was , RALPH WILSON and the BILLS in BUFFALO!!! ROGERS , paid $78 million for this. :lol: :lol:

And just to let you know , the NFL Commish. said recently that any stadium in L.A. had to be able to have 2 teams play there , not just one team. So there is just one more reason that the NFL isn’t looking to Canada. :rockin:

The ARGOS , have had years of 0 promotion , a terrible team and had to compete with the BILLS , and the BILLS in Toronto , the Raptors , the Leafs , the TI-CATS , the ROCK , the Molson INDY , MLS and the JAYS.

The ARGOS are trying to get the fans that they lost back and reach a younger generation. :thup:

It is the 100th Ann. of OUR , GREY CUP.

If it is possible for you , try to show a least some class. Thank you. :smiley: :wink:

Admittedly, I am somewhat concerned about attendance figures, espoecially from last night..

The Als attracted only 21,000 to their season home opener, while the Grey Cup champs Lions procured 25,000 vs the Cats.
Hopefully league attendance will improve substantially in the coming weeks. (fingers crossed)

And I am very concerned for the Cats next home game as they are now 0-2 and a smattering of fans are becoming restless.
Fortunately, the Argos are in town next week which may help entice fans to the park and offset disenchantment.

I think this is all cyclical.
Having said that, yes the numbers in the stands yesterday is somewhat of a concern.
I hope today we can draw at least 25k and I have been told by my Argo season ticket rep last week that the seasons have increased to 10k from last years 7k figure.
This also does point to the crucial need for more teams, Ottawa yes sooner then later and a 10th team in Moncton.

Not enough interest in the NFL in Toronto??? Are you serious! The fact that the Bills haven’t sold out the Rogers Centre doesn’t prove much. The problem is the BILLS assumed that all fans in the area were Bills fans - not true. The fact is the Bills are not Toronto’s team, why would a city watch another cities team? especially a team that has been on the bottom of the league for so long.

I don’t know if there were a lot of “giveaways” or not but the fact was 30,000 of the 50,000 that attended the last game at the Rogers Centres DID pay $300 each to watch a team that is not a Toronto team. The fact that 30,000 fans paid $300 each and that is close to $10 Million in revenue for one game!!!
Don’t forget that the NFL average is $60 a ticket so a Toronto crowd paying $300 a ticket would be the equivalent of an NFL crowd of 90,000 at any stadium in the US. Torontonians are willing to pay $200 a ticket for FORTY HOME GAMES to watch the Leafs. I’m not sure how much Blue Jays season tickets are but over 80 home games a season is a lot of money.
Do you think they would NOT pay big bucks for just EIGHT NFL games a year? Knowing the huge interest in the NFL in southern Ontario I’m sure that for eight home games, 50,000 fans WOULD pay at least $100 a game.

You can bet that the NFL is looking at Toronto and licking their lips - the second largest city in North America without an NFL team, the richest market, the potential for advertising/sponsorships form Canandian companies is huge.
A proven market that loves and supports MLB, NBA and the NHL.

The NFL is coming and CFL fans just have to get used to it.

Absolutely no chance of the NFL coming.
Especially after the Bills-Rogers fiasco which proves no interest.
Freebies galore.

"

Not enough interest in the NFL in Toronto??? Are you serious! The fact that the Bills haven’t sold out the Rogers Centre doesn’t prove much. The problem is the BILLS assumed that all fans in the area were Bills fans - not true. The fact is the Bills are not Toronto’s team, why would a city watch another cities team? especially a team that has been on the bottom of the league for so long.

I don’t know if there were a lot of “giveaways” or not but the fact was 30,000 of the 50,000 that attended the last game at the Rogers Centres DID pay $300 each to watch a team that is not a Toronto team. The fact that 30,000 fans paid $300 each and that is close to $10 Million in revenue for one game!!!
Don’t forget that the NFL average is $60 a ticket so a Toronto crowd paying $300 a ticket would be the equivalent of an NFL crowd of 90,000 at any stadium in the US. Torontonians are willing to pay $200 a ticket for FORTY HOME GAMES to watch the Leafs. I’m not sure how much Blue Jays season tickets are but over 80 home games a season is a lot of money.
Do you think they would NOT pay big bucks for just EIGHT NFL games a year? Knowing the huge interest in the NFL in southern Ontario I’m sure that for eight home games, 50,000 fans WOULD pay at least $100 a game.

You can bet that the NFL is looking at Toronto and licking their lips - the second largest city in North America without an NFL team, the richest market, the potential for advertising/sponsorships form Canandian companies is huge.
A proven market that loves and supports MLB, NBA and the NHL.

The NFL is coming and CFL fans just have to get used to it.
Per Ardua ad Astra"

mikem

Troll, troll, troll, troll… altogether now…troll, troll, troll, troll… :lol: