Attendance

With emphasis on the word “you”.

Granted most seats in Skydome are not the best for watching football. However, it's still a fantastic facility and with only 20K or so people there: no lines. The amenities and concessions help offset the atmosphere. Although I enjoy my one or two trips there per year for a blue team game for pure grass roots, no frills football there's no better place than IWS.

Pretty much at all sporting events announcements of attendances are what is sold (plus any giveaways) for the event not what is in the stadium/arena/park. Many leagues, over the years, mandate that the tickets sold are reported as the official attendance.

8) Ha Ha, How right you are JFL !! :wink:
  At least we all had room to stretch out in our rows in those days.    <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

RYCK said

Naming rights later won't be any different than naming rights now ... so that won't be a change affected by a renovated IWS
Of course it will, there are NO naming rights at IWS right now, its called Ivor Wynne not BMO field, or Rogers or Mosaic, we are one of the only teams in the CFL without naming rights. This will be a new thing for Hamilton when the new stadium is built. This was one of the big issues when they were looking for stadium sites, a place that they could display the name and collect big bucks from a sponsor that is willing to dole out the couple of million a year. The naming rights will be the equivalent of around 5,000 fans. I'm sure the stadium will be sponsored by a baNk, they seem to have all the money and profits, my guess is ING stadium or how about HAMILTON ING COLISEUM/FORUM/PLACE/FIELD It is ALL about revenue, without revenue we don't have a team.

There is no way there was 22,000 at the Saskatchewan game… absolutely no way.

The montreal game i can see that number it still seems a little high but not ridiculously so. The sask number is much inflated. I guessed it at less than 18,000 looking at all the empty seats.

Ryck, Toronto sucks, for the most part, and the RC sucks as a stadium for the entire part, for the most pat. :wink:

And Hamilton sucks as a great Canadian football town as well, to be very honest.

It seems like the actual attendance is never as high as the announced attendance. If they’re always fibbing, then how can we ever know what a specific crowd size looks like?

Festival of Friends got some 20,000.last night at the new Ancaster-Brantford :wink: location. Traffic was a nightmare. But people wonder why the Cats wanted.a highway location out of inner city Hamilton. No way 20,000 get to Gage Park with same groups as.last night, no way. Why? People want to drive without having to be near inner city Hamilton (not me BTW) I'll take Gage Park any day. But the suburbaniites for the most part want things in suburbia, and they drive and have money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br6ZSqxdoFE

Nice find joedav. :thup: Beauty.

A real insult to the majority of people who don’t live in a downtown area. What was with “we are just dumb white people”
Are there no non whites in the burbs?
you can really tell it’s Canadian humour…not very funny

Yes the FOF was a success now its in the burbs.
In Hamilton the overwhelming majority of fans at IWS are families coming from the suburbs.

Look, I live on the old east mountain which was regarded as the boonies/suburbs at one time I'm sure. And I'd live in the suburbs in a second if I was house hunting and the best value for my money was in the burbs.

I see i need to pull out my crayons and a coloring book to draw pictures for you to understand what i am saying …
I know there are no naming rights at IWS …but there will be no significant changes between now and in 3 or 4 years that will make any big changes in any deal they can muster up. And either Mitchell or Young already spouted off that the location and visibility of IWS hampers any good deal for a naming sponsor and the team even spoke out against the visibility of the west harbor for a naming sponsor claiming that someone was pulling out if it went there … seeing as the stadium will be in the same spot with the same visibility and also with the smaller seating capacity any deal made tomorrow or in 3 or 4 years wont be much of a difference

here comes the crayons and coloring book …

a smaller seating capacity means potentially a smaller crowd seeing any advertisements and in any ad placement value the potential of more people seeing it means its a more valuable spot … hence the “not much difference”

Naming rights have everything to do with having the name mentionned on TSN… and little to do with being a billboard.

You can buy a billboard on a major street relatively cheaply. Having your company mentionned as “Live from ______ Field in Hamilton” 70 times per year on TSN, Sportsnet, CH, etc… etc… is where the value is.

Why do you think TSN (owned by Bell Globemedia) refuses to say “rogers centre” and still uses the name “Skydome” or “The Dome” on their broadcasts and radio station… because that is where the advertising has power.

Beakermania:

I have heard the TSN announcers say Rogers Centre in every game I have ever watched that was played there since the name change. Maybe you're just mentally blocking it out. :slight_smile:

Very true Beaker. Of course this is all assuming that TSN or any network continues to broadcast the games.

Never realized TSN doesn't mention the Rogers Centre. :? Probably not much choice though with Rogers Arena in Vancouver although they could purposely try not to mention the name when speaking about the Canucks.

Haven’t noticed the Arena… but if you watch closely or listen to TSN1050 they will try to avoid using the name as much as possible.

They aren’t able to cut it out 100% of the time… but I’ve heard from a friend who works for the station that Memos have gone around to try and use the name “The Dome” or “Skydome” as much as possible.

The funny thing is that Rogers has a much smaller customer base in BC. Here they only offer cell phone service. Shaw is the cable co. out here. is it still Cogeco in Hamilton?

Cogeco is here but Shaw bought out Mountain Cablevision and I'm with Shaw, it covers a certain percentage of Hamilton. I think this is Shaw's first foray here in the east if I'm not mistaken.