Attendance vs TV

Thanks last word I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

35,000 to 40,000 can be built just as easy as a 23,000. I could care less if you built a new
stadium to house 10,000. Haves nothing to do with me. CFL is starting to be noticed
across America. Great talent good game. Minimum 30,000 seats FOR A NEW STADIUM
that will last 40 years. Get with a winning program. Not saying 100,000
Also not saying 25,000 which only the rich attend. Gee’s another.???

But that’s the trend with all sports these days. Build smaller capacity but actually have a larger building that can house larger concourses, suites, lounges, facade all to bring in more revenues, reduce the need to sell as many tickets hence having less supply to sell them for more.

Baseball teams used to play in 50-60K stadiums and new ones seat 35-40K. NHL arena in the late 90s started to build them in the 18K range when Chicago and Montreal were both having trouble selling 20K+ at first. New NBA buildings are 17K down from 19-20.

Even the mighty NFL, new stadiums being built are 65K like the new one in Las Vegas down from when 75-80K were the commonplace. Miami finished a 9 figure renovation where they removed over 10,000 seats.

Though attendance is important, revenue is the real key.

Huh?

Just a heads up, Molson’s capacity is 23,420 and TD Place is 24,000. I believe I also read that 18 is the break even point for most CFL teams…so…kinda confused about this one.

I read that, too. :thup:

Not sure what the T.V. numbers will be but we are 3 for 3 for great games!

Attendance week 1 games 3&4

BC 19,175 Sad reality but on up swing

Toronto 32,486 Needs improvement. Can this be Real????

They need a fresh start - see : goodbye David Braley.

??? Huh ???

Got your attention. No its Not 32 k just off a few. The report is they have to be careful on figures to keep face so estimated around 12,500. But you pick a number.
I wish they were sold out as the played a great game.
Now I think Braley is out of TO

BMO Field gathering of 13,583. TSN REPORT

This thread has exposed 2 posters as being totally clueless.

Good point, Brian.

The problem is, CFL teams use to give tickets away and attendance was weak. Then they discovered that if they charged a decent price for tickets, they still got the same number of people. So they started to charge more.

To me, the prices they charge at BMO seem expensive.

I will attend 3 Ticat games this year and, with concessions, likely spend $300. I can live with that.

Teams like the Argos need to use the resources of BCE to increase the ticket sales. Posters have made suggestions in the past, and sent them to the Argos, but I haven’t seen any of them implemented. It’s a shame because they would be inexpensive and could work.

Good point, Brian.

The problem is, CFL teams use to give tickets away and attendance was weak. Then they discovered that if they charged a decent price for tickets, they still got the same number of people. So they started to charge more.

To me, the prices they charge at BMO seem expensive.

I will attend 3 Ticat games this year and, with concessions, likely spend $300. I can live with that.

Teams like the Argos need to use the resources of BCE to increase the ticket sales. Posters have made suggestions in the past, and sent them to the Argos, but I haven’t seen any of them implemented. It’s a shame because they would be inexpensive and could

Well said! Me Need TO as a leader for sure!! Good team this year and more!!

Watching the last quarter on TV, the crowd in BC sure didn't look to be 19,000. Looked more like 13,000 - half full lower bowl. Perhaps some or several no-shows?

I've been saying this for the past 3 years since they've been doing this. BC Place is a joke. Taking away the upper deck was ridiculous, I believe they averaged around 30,000 with it being open. What they should do is open up the upper deck between the 20's and use those stupid looking shades outside of that. I hear all the time the ticket prices are too high there and no one wants endzone seats.

I swear to god it seems people with marketing degrees are mentally deficient in every sense. You want new fans? GIVE THEM GOOD SEATS TO ENJOY A GAME! Upper deck, $20-25 a seat. They lost 10,000 fans in attendance i'd bet on average since the first 2 years after the renovation, along with closing the upper deck. BC is an embarrassment with how they've handled their fans and renovated stadium.

…this is only a theory but I bet it has something to do with not just opening up the upper seats for sale, but the revenue generated (or lack thereof) by then having to open up and staff the upper deck concessions and public facilities…ie - the ROR on just opening the lower deck facilities vs. the ticket income on that level is better than your scenario…just speculation of course…

Well said.

You make a good point.

…it’s only an opinion based on business acumen, I just don’t think it’s as simple as this:

…if it were, then let’s get everyone laz-y-boys and free nachos…somewhere behind the scenes is an Accountant who reports to a Controller who answers to a CFO, I think you get my point…I can’t imagine the scenario in BC Place is what it is because of a spaced out marketing person with a degree in interior decorating…

First, I am the LAST guy to want to make excuses on behalf of fans (who, frankly, are filled with 'em)…BUT it was a scorcher here on Saturday. Warmest day of the year. The PERCEPTION of BC Place is that it is still an indoor stadium. Sure, the doughnut hole in the top helps, but make no mistake, it’s not like old Empire Stadium with fresh breezes and mountain views. Plus, Wally keeps wanting the roof closed to give the team more ‘home field advantage.’ Well, whatever gains he thinks he’s making with noise is mitigated by fewer people cheering!

Eskimosrock, I have been saying what you’re saying for years. Football is not like hockey with its continuous up-and-down flow. If you have end-zone seats and the play is down the other end, you’re screwed. SOME end-zone seats at a stadium are okay, but bowls are certainly not ideal configurations (unless you’re the Big House in Michigan). The Lions need to reconfigure BC Place to let people sit at mid-field. They did lose a lot of fans when they sealed off the Upper Bowl. Close off one of the end-zones to a horseshoe shape. But here it’s a case of “same-old, same-old.” No new, fresh, out-of-the-box thinking. :frowning:

...too many complaints, look at this AFL Stadium down under in comparison

...the dude with the bald head is in a different postal code than his counterpart way over yonder...and that's the short distance across the field....

The two best teams in the league last season facing off in a rematch of a Grey Cup rematch. Exciting back and forth game with plenty of offense. How many show up? Barely over 24,000. Disappointing to say the least. This is probably the worst crowd the Stamps have seen in over a decade. Unfortunately, the same appears to be happening north of Calgary as well.