Attendance Thoughts

A couple of thoughts from my Vancouver perspective.

• No, the Lions will not be opening up the upper deck this season. The reason you didn't see the curtain for their preseason game was due to the aborted Canada-Panama soccer match that was to be played Sunday afternoon (less than 2 days later).

• Unfortunately, the Lions moved their bench to the same side of the field as the opposition last year, which meant many of us (including me) moved their season seats to be behind the benches this year. This means the more sparsely filled part of the stadium will be on the non-TV side (as you probably noticed Friday).

• I talked to my Account Exec yesterday. I asked how tickets are moving for Saturday's concert/game he said "really fast." They are expecting a sellout. I said, that means 26K or so? He said no, closer to 30K. I think this is ambitious but whichever figure, it's a very good sign and he said the atmosphere is going to be jumping.

Credit the club since Doman took over. Lots of families, young kids at games, improved game-day experience, promotions etc. If the Leos can start winning some games you're going to see an attendance spike.

5 Likes

Doman just said on Donnie and Dhali that there is a good chance there could be some fans in the upper bowl. He was talking about maybe giving season ticket holders first chance at those tickers. Wondering if that means all season or what with that comment. Hopefully that happens to make both the team and BC Place look like it should.

1 Like

I can assure you that this will be a one-off if they open the upper deck. Tickets will return to normal levels after this game (unless another event is planned that I am not aware of and the club is winning).

1 Like

Closing the upper deck very likely hurt overall ticket sales. Many enjoy the elevated view.

Also understand there is more than just the Lions involved.

2 Likes

I really hope there is a legit 25k there. Official attendance numbers are meaningless.

1 Like

Attendance was terrible but not surprising or alarming. The game was moved to the evening of a week with very little notice or chance to prepare. Many, who have children could not come. Any from out-of-town (a good portion of season ticket holders) had a very late night if they had to drive 2 hours or more to get home. Spring seeding was delayed so any farmers (also a good percentage of STH) were not shutting down the tractors for a preseason game. Oh did I mention that it was pre-season where we watch a lot of guys who won't make our team play against a lot of guy who won't make the other team in a game that does not count in the standings. If this attendance is the number for the opener on Saturday THEN worry.

3 Likes

Yea, it's always struck me as odd that some people draw broad conclusions based on pre-season attendance. Diehards like us care about this year's crop of rookies and who's going to crack the roster but i don't think Joe or Jill Average really gives a hoot.

I am glad that my team gives season ticket holders a couple of FREE tickets to distribute. Expose new people to the product (although truth be told, preseason games are usually error-filled).

3 Likes

Price of gas isn’t going to help attendance, maybe they could put a gas voucher in with the tickets. ?’

1 Like

It's open!

2 Likes

There's definitely a formula for the Lions to start winning games. I think Rourke is the real thing and you have Burnham and Whitehead who may be one of the most electrifying players today!

3 Likes

:sunglasses: I was shopping in Metro in Burlington yesterday and a gentleman approached me and pointed to my TiCat shirt and said oskee wee wee, and then told me that his grandson plays for the BC Lions.

Turns out that Nathan Rourke is this man's grandson !!

He couldn't stop talking about him. He was so proud of Nathan.

Small world, to say the least !!
He and his wife are going out to BC for 2 or 3 games this year !!!

8 Likes

Sk pre season attendance this year was meaningless.

It would be great to see 25k+ at BC's game.

Agree with the estimate for Calgary, but its sad to see the franchise at that attendance level. It would be nice to see the attendance bounce back to the 30k levels.

3 Likes

According to the Lions Twitter account the upper bowl is now officially open. Ticketmaster has 6 sections for sale mid field.

2 Likes

If you want extra gas with your CFL experience... order some stadium brats loaded with chili, hot peppers and kraut to go with your beer.

Don't forget to stay down wind from your loved ones. :fire: :hearts: :beer: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Well this game it appears we could be over 35k. Ticketmaster has opened up more sections and a few of those sections there’s only a few here and there left. I’m guessing but I would say around 35% of the upper bowl is now being sold.

2 Likes

That will surely fire up the players on both teams.

2 Likes

Yes, let’s hope for a good entertaining game that will make the fans want to come back.

2 Likes

Well I'll play along.

BC over 22000 for sure (Upper Deck tickets available predicting around 25000)

Calgary below 28000 (around 26000, stadium being a factor)

Winnipeg should be around 30000.

Same with Sask.

1 Like

I hope Calgary draws atleast 20k(tickets scanned)
I didnt think they have done that in many years(not including 2019 Grey Cup)

1 Like

Wow 5 minutes in to the game and the stands look empty! Hopefully they're still getting in from the tailgate!