Attendance Thoughts

Week 1 thoughts on attendance

BC: 22,000
Winnipeg: 28,000
Calgary 24,000
Sask:30,000

2 Likes

With the concert at BC's home opener I'm hoping for more than 22k. Maybe I'm being optimistic.

1 Like

Probably optimistic, but let's keep our fingers crossed. It would be very encouraging to see numbers like these. The preseason crowds were dismal.

1 Like

Why do you have Edmonton listed ? They don't play at home until week # 2 .
Although with Saskatchewan in town I could see them hitting your predicted 25,000 mark .

As for the games listed in week # 1 and your predictions I think that BC is possible but I'm thinking the number goes slightly under . I'll go over on the Winnipeg game and agree on your figure for Calgary and finally I think the Saskatchewan number goes under .

1 Like

no idea why i listed EE.

No biggie , it happens :smiley: .

Like I said though I do think that the EE's home opener in week # 2 has a possibility of hitting that 25 K mark especially with the visitors being from Saskatchewan .

Looks reasonable to me, though maybe optimistic for the Lions. But fingers crossed. We're all hoping Doman can reignite fan interest in Vancouver.

1 Like

Did anyone notice watching the Whitecaps and Lions on the weekend that the interior roof was not in place. I’m wondering if the Lions are expecting more and need (at least partially) the upper level open?

1 Like

Interesting. Even if they're not expecting more, they could at least start selling upper deck seats near midfield. Attendance dropped fast when they started tarping off that upper deck.

2 Likes

I wonder if the Lions pay significantly less to 'rent' that stadium with the upper deck off limits to them? If the answer is 'yes' then how many upper level tickets would they have to sell in order to cover that extra cost? Does anyone have any numbers?

1 Like

Good question. I don't know. Doman mentioned that he was having talks with PavCo about the conditions of their agreement, so maybe this change resulted from those talks.

1 Like

That interior roof to my way of thinking makes BC Place look 2nd rate. I did contact the team last season about opening up the top level even a small portion. Turns out lots of hurdles to overcome dealing with at that time it was being used for storage, BC Place required a minimum two week notice to get it down plus depending on the Whitecaps when they were playing to get it back up. With Doman maybe he’s made a deal with PAVCO to open it up. Sure looked a lot nicer both for the Whitecaps and Lions without that roof.

maybe that was done for the expected Team Canada soccer game?

1 Like

That makes sense. I just checked on ticketmaster, and it doesn't show any upper deck seats available for the Lions-Elks game. On the positive side, it looks like most of the cheap endzone seats for that game are sold, though there are lots of sideline seats still available.

Well I thought about that also, but I knew about the game but didn’t hear a lot about ticket sales. I guess we will see on Friday whether it’s back up or not.

Well let’s see if the roof is in place for game day.

1 Like

You guys are all delusional, judging by preseason crowds most teams wont be any better than last season.
Most CFL fans have aged out, and are too old to climb the stairs at stadiums anymore.
10 years ago most BC Lions fans had white hair. Those fans are not dead, but too old to suffer the indignity of actually going through the rigamaroll.
Saskatchewan only drew 2800 fans for their preseason game.
If that doesn't set off alarm bells in the CFL head office, then nothing will.
The BC Lions drew family and friends. Mindya, the Whitecaps drew barely 10k either. You could see the red band clearly right through all the seats, except in the cheap end zone seats.
The Elks game drew peanuts despite the fact it literally was a charity event.
I dont know what can be done, to start putting 20k back into buildings.
No.. Not bogas attendance numbers, but 20k actual fans at a game is litterally a pipe dream for almost all teams.
Im including the Bombers and Riders in this statement.

2 Likes

1 Like

What does it matter? Thera are large swaths of empty seats right at mid field for their games.
Opening the upper deck would be utterly pointless

Amar Doman was just on a sport tv show out here and he’s saying there is a good chance there could be some bums in the seats in the upper level. He says ticket sales are surging for the game.

4 Likes