Atlantic Schooners

No worries... I like talking football. Football is an international game. Before the pandemic started they had a Chinese National Football League, over 30 teams in Brazil, X-League in Japan with 3 different levels of players etc. etc. I would encourage you to look up the different Leagues on Wikipedia on your own time.

Advertising in newspapers only encourages people who read them. The internet is where people spend most of their time. Kids aren't listening to the radio as much these days. They watch Youtube and other internet stuff. When the Argos went to your kids school. What did they do? Did they talk to them about going to the game because if so that would grab their attention for five minutes and then they would tune out.

I would be impressed if they put the kids through drills and then demonstrated how the team went through drills. Obviously not tackle drills but throwing the ball through a hoop, running through rubber tire obstacle courses etc. Get the kids to lift some weights then show the kids how much they can lift. The other thing they could do is have the kids do tiktok videos and then put the best one on the Argos tiktok site. The kids would be excited by that and would tell their parents etc etc. For slightly older kids they could set up a CFL John Madden Video game League and have a tournament. Best players get to play someone from the Argos in front of the whole school. In the High School level they could organize a flag football tournament within the school and have members of the Argos play on the team. They could help coach high school football. Outside of school they could help out with charities etc. The Argos with the most charisma should obviously have a podcast for people to listen to if they have an interest.

Instead of advertising on the radio the Argos should team up with a radio station and get people to compete musically. you get a battle of the bands with people voting for their favourite bands or artists all year round sponsored by the argos then have the two finalists play at halftime.

If they do all that and still have no success it's time to hire somebody who has new ideas. But don't give up.

2 Likes

I know the upper deck east side seats are the orange plastic cheaper seats that don't fold up or down, they aren't red.

What does it matter what colour the seats are at BMO for the Argos,
When the Argos play there, nobody is there to see it anyways! :thinking: :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I think he was complaining about seeing red on TV. TSN does do a good job of avoiding the empty stands at BMO when the Argos play.

It wasn't a complaint. It was an observation. If I was complaining, my list of grievances would be long

1 Like

Yup, Moncton is too small. Halifax is the best place but they have to want it. The CFL has done a poor job of rallying the interest for CFL in that market. I think you find ownership that loves football and know that area well.

It's not about "wanting" a CFL team it's all about a CFL stadium.
There is zero financing in place for a stadium. The HRM or the province is not going to fund a stadium, especially after the huge debt from the pandemic.
The group wanting to bring the CFL to Halifax was supposed to come up with the bulk of the financing, even before the pandemic they failed to show they had any money.

1 Like

If you are going solely by population there are tons of cities far better poised to join CFL

London, Quebec City, Victoria, Oshawa

Heck even places with smaller populations who have much larger cities close to them like Windsor, Saskatoon, St Catherines

2 Likes

Quebec City is a great market! Just under a million people and absolutely untouched sport wised.

3 Likes

Population isn't enough, they also have to be football fans. Football has historically been unpopular among the Quebecois, it's viewed as more of an Anglophone sport.

The whole point about locating in Moncton is that it's centrally located in the maritimes and within an easy drive of Fredricton, St John, Charlottetown, and Halifax combined. If Moncton can't support a CFL team then no one in the maritimes can. Halifax CFL needs Moncton to prove that it's possible.

1 Like

I know population isn't enough. I think the football climate in Quebec is good. Quebec is starving for a sport franchise.

2 Likes

Population of Quebec city unfortunately doesn't care enough for CFL

1 Like

No they aren't. I haven't heard of any group or any movement in QC lobbying for a CFL franchise. As someone stated above, Quebec is not interested in the CFL.
They have a good university following.
A few years ago there was a CFL pre-season game there and locals didn't show up at all, only fans were Ottawa and Montreal fans that bused or drove there.
The CFL has to get on with supporting and trying to maintain the current 9 teams.
No need or desire for any expansion in Canada.

I know the CFL made it's way through the 2019 season with essentially the same format for the last 70 years..

But its relevance is waning. Even in the 90s when it was a complete cluster£_@€ and on the verge of collapse, it was probably still Canada's 2nd most watched sports property.

However as Canada has grown, the CFL has stagnated.

The difference between hockey and football in Canada is the lack of the latter's of grassroots prevalence in every corner of the country.

The CFL and Canadian football can be as relevant as it once was but it's going to take a rethink and a big investment that perhaps may never come.

I'd disagree that the CFL doesn't need to expand. It needs more depth of field (more teams) to have more content to sell and more compelling stories to sell. It needs more teams to elevate the rarity and importance of winning the championship in the face of competing sports content available from around the world.

The smaller communities need grassroots football rebuilt or established in the first place.

Medium sized cities in Canada without a CFL team need the business model and infrastructure to be able to field a team.

The presentation needs to be streamlined and cleaned up to be sold in the biggest cities along side the MLS, MLB, NBA and NHL.

The content needs to be available on streaming services and delivered with built in non-intrusive sponsorships. It shouldn't take a cable subscription to watch.

Basically a London Onatrio team should be able to succeed with a 15,000 seat stadium while the big market teams draw 40,000 per game because of revenue sharing and a compelling 14 team league steeped in history and tradition (including the distinctive Canadian rules) sold over modern platforms.

Such a league would draw the sponsorships and licensing deals to keep it afloat but it would require a steep initial investment.. one that I don't see coming ever unfortunately.

3 Likes

Well said .

On the same page as you as the best path forward for the CFL .

We used to have a little hole in the wall, out-of- date, restaurant in town that was always crowded, hard to find a seat. Owners got a chance to buy the next door property and expanded. What happened? Customers fell off, partly due to closing during renovation, but more because, “it didn’t feel the same anymore”. Never did fully recover, owners eventually sold out, and it has been hit and miss ever since. Don’t know if there is a lesson for the CFL or not, but, as we say, “be careful what you wish for”.

Said restaurant in Hamilton, Palmer?

Small town outside of K/W, about 15 years ago.

Up St Jacobs way?

1 Like

I'd say that analogy would apply to the CFL selling out on its rules or going after US TV deals by becoming a cross border league like the others in North America.

Expanding within Canada and selling the game with means established after the 1980s is more akin to that restaurant finally getting plumbing or electricity.

The thing is, the CFL as quaint as it is, isn't crowded. It isn't hard to find a seat and not many under 30 know of its existence.

2 Likes