Atlantic Schooners

The population in the Halifax area is approximately 413,000. this is MORE than enough people to support a CFL team. Regina only has 220,000 (and yes, I know they basically have the whole province. I’m originally from there). It’s the marketing that will make this team popular. They will need to work hard on creating a persona for their team and get the first year players out in the community to sell their wares. It will work, if they have the right people running the ship (pun intended).

Welcome to the forum.

The CFL did award the franchise to Halifax back in 1984. As of right now, no team has been fielded and doesn’t look like it will happen anytime soon.

Too many things are against this taking place.

1 Like

The ownership group has floated the idea of 2022 but stated 2023 would be more likely. They’re promoting the new stadium and team as a means to aid economic recovery post-Covid. We’ll have to wait and see if it works.

This was posted earlier in this thread, but here it is again for reference:

Well said!! Still waiting after 25 years. However 2035 is just around the corner if planning stays on schedule!!

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Atlantic Canada expansion

This thread was started in 2015 and basically ended in 2020 until it was resurrected within the last two weeks. As it is very similar to the Atlantic Expansion thread started within the last couple of weeks I’m going to lock it and move the 2023 posts to that thread.

1 Like