Atlantic Schooners

Seems to me he’s more pushing for soccer than football.

Glad to see you get it

Does he not realize that’s how the NFL operates.

Only 2 out the 30 stadiums are privately financed.

If stadiums were viable with private money the owners would be building them.

Needs to be a partnership when it comes to projects of this nature.

Now is the time to invest
Land and labour will come cheap due to the huge impending depression

Halifax (or another Atlantic city) could easily share costs with a Uni program

I do not think they require a massive stadium (half of the existing CFL teams draw less than 30,000 per game, and as Prairies do you can always add temporary seats for playoffs)

22.5 K seats between the lines and 1.5 K party zones in the endzones will make you money. See Ottawa, Hamilton

1 Like

Who said the stadium was 30-40k seats? Of course you can have outdoor concerts as well as other events. And why does the reporter need to talk to dude at Concordia? Isn’t there anyone in the Maritimes that are familiar with this process that can be interviewed?

1 Like

Also, SSE has already partnered with amateur sports orgs who are lining up to use the stadium outside of the prospective CFL team’s needs. Of course, most of those groups would not need the 12,000-seat grandstand that the stadium plans call for, but maybe some would.

1 Like

There is also the opportunity for AUS games to be held there. A Vanier Cup or two would also be nice. There is also the opportunity for the Wanderers soccer team to host some bigger events there.

1 Like

That’s the whole point, this guy was so unfamiliar with the way the CFL was already trending that he figured the stadiums had to be that big. And again, your last sentence is my point, this guy seems to be the only person reporters want to talk to. One guy interviewed Lander early on and everybody else has followed like lemmings.

My blood boils when I see the usual moronic ten events a year. That’s what the trolls say. Has Lander not heard of one of these?

2 Likes

Halifax is the largest City in the Atlantic Provinces and is the hub for NB and PEI.
They should have a CFL team and a Stadium

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by "hub" but that is where the team should be and yes they should have a decent stadium as civic infrastructure like most other cities that size.

My post from Dec 2019

Jamie Ferguson from Sport Nova Scotia talks about other groups’ involvement in the stadium (start at 38 min).

“We’re gonna be able to program this facility for all of the days the CFL team is not using it or there are not other large events or concerts”

1 Like

Halifax take notes

Methinks Mr Ferguson is more of a dreamer than a planner.:wink:

Why? At that get together were members of several NS Sport organizations: Rugby NS, Soccer NS, Football NS, Canadian Sports Centre Atlantic.

We are talking what, 355 additional days a year that the stadium would be booked? Let’s say they can book another two events a week, that still leaves 250 open dates.

Sounds like a “Nigerian Prince” internet kind of investment to me. Just saying.

Did you watch the presentation? Halifax isn’t Toronto. There aren’t a million larger indoor fields to play soccer in the winter. Or rugby, as it becomes more popular or the other sports involved. Just sayin’

These events were for amateur, community sports, not large revenue-creating events.

A valid question is whether the community needs a sports field with a 12,000-seat grandstand for these kinds of events. I think that for the large majority of amateur events played there, they would not. But I’m sure it would be an extra thrill for the kids to play in a stadium they can see on TSN 9-10 times a year. And for the few events for which 12,000 (or more) would be needed, it’s available.

And these community users pay rent. No, they don’t need 12k seats for parents to watch but we do need large wintertime facilities like that in the Maritimes where there is a shortage of such facilities.

I don’t think the community teams using the facilities are going to pay rent. IIRC, the wording in the proposal was something like “no to nominal” usage fees for these groups. That was part of the justification for getting government funding. And that’s what Halifax wanted, a stadium the community could use without having to pay for upkeep.