Atlantic Schooners brief history

The following is a brief history of The Atlantic Schooners near franchise:
(Very interesting stuff indeed!)

"The Atlantic Schooners were a conditional Canadian Football League (CFL) expansion team that was to begin play in 1984 out of Halifax, Nova Scotia.
[2]On May 13, 1982, Maritime Professional Football Club Ltd. was granted a conditional expansion franchise. The team was to pay a $1.5 million expansion fee and could begin play in 1984 if a suitable stadium was built in time for the league opener.
[3] The team name was selected based on a study followed by a name-the-team contest in which "schooner" was the winning selection.
[4] The logo was a stylized "A" in the shape of a schooner that rode on four waves, each representing the four Atlantic provinces, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.
[5] Acadia Axemen coach John Huard was named the team's first head coach.
[6] The Schooners proposed home was a 30,000-seat stadium located on leased land in the city of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, said to be built at a cost of $6 million.
[7] The owners purchased a scoreboard from the New England Patriots for use in their new stadium.
[8] The Schooners were unable to meet the deadlines set by the league, including the deadline for a financing plan for the new stadium. On June 16, 1983, Maritime Professional Football Club Ltd. officially withdrew their application for a franchise.
[9] Since then there have been endless rumours of a stadium being built in the area and with it, a CFL team, although none has yet been built."

and here is the logo/helmet that was designed for the team:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/27/Atlantic_Schooners.png

Halifax Destroyers with a black and Silver color scheme would be cool. Kind of Canda's version of the Raiders.

I'll add an article I found with the logo, 1982 style.

[url=http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=HphVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FkANAAAAIBAJ&pg=1231%2C877957]http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Hp ... 1%2C877957[/url]

Although it's hard to tell what the official colours were supposed to be, I think it would be cool to have a silver, gold and black team. There would be no colour scheme like it in North American professional sports (unless someone can correct me?).

From the article, it says that the logo has the silluette of a schooner against a blue sky, so the background colour would have to be navy blue, not black (though it is hard to tell from the colour logos). Would make sense that navy blue would be the main colour for a team with a nautical name. Personally, I wouldn't want to see another team with dark blue as the main colour (already Toronto and Winnipeg), or even black (already Hamilton, and soon Ottawa). It would be nice to see a unique colour used for the 10th team in the league. If they stay with the Schooners monicker, they should try aquamarine as their main colour. Aqua and silver would look cool (though the aqua, white, gold and black colour scheme that the Sacramento Gold Miners used didn't look all that bad either).

terrible name and terrible logo, IMO.

logo is too similar to the argos and alouettes.
the name would draw nicknames of 'boatmen', which already exists.
might as well name a team 'mustangs' and have a logo of a horse.

how about they come up with something original in the future. :roll:

Logo is from the 80's a lot has changed in marketing in 30 years. You wouldn't see something like this today. Schooner is lame anyway.

i agree. yet, people are still wanting the schooner name and logo.

Halifax has a long history as a home for pirates and privateers. Maybe the Atlantic Pirates with a Pirate Skull logo on the helmet (not the jolly rogers but a cool Pirate Skull). I too am a fan of black and silver.

"Schooner" is dated (how many Canadians actually know or care about the Bluenose anymore?) which makes it sort of lame, I suppose, but almost every other alternative name I've seen for an Atlantic Canada based team is lamer than that, in my opinion. The only one I've heard so far that I might choose over Schooners is Destroyers, which was mentioned above, though that name seems part of the trend of teams picking tough sounding names (usually animals, but not always, like the Predators or the former Atlanta Thrashers), which is so common these days that it's quickly approaching lameness.

Apparantly they're still undefeted too...
Anyways, thanks for the info. Hopefully Halifax or Atlantic Canada gets a team soon.

On May 13, 1982, Maritime Professional Football Club Ltd. was granted a conditional expansion franchise. The team was to pay a $1.5 million expansion fee and could begin play in 1984 if a suitable stadium was built in time for the league opener.
The expansion fee of $1.5 million seems excessive for 1982 dollars. That would amount to approx $14.5 million today with inflation. Current investors may balk at such a figure if required today.
The Schooners proposed home was a [b]30,000-seat[/b] stadium located on leased land in the city of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, said to be built at a cost of $6 million.
With inflation, the stadium would only cost approx. $60 million today. Why have stadium construction costs far surpassed average inflation levels during this period is certainly bewildering. And is this land still available?
The owners purchased a scoreboard from the New England Patriots for use in their new stadium.
What happened to this scoreboard?

Someone has it somewhere. Remember seeing it during the Halifax touchdown Atlantic.

At the Touchdown Atlantic game?
I'm guessing the old scoreboard was not in use as it is quite antiquated now...

It's a shame the scoreboard was never used after the purchase from the Patriots...
The Maritime Professional Football Club took a bath on that deal.

I've always pushed for the 'Halifax Explosion'

How about The Atlantic Torpedoes? (as in war ship history)

Oh, the Ex-Lax jokes would be unbearable!!!! :oops: