Athlete in Need of Advice

I hope I’m not out of line here, but I’ve run out of ideas. I’m and American football player who played college football and graduated in 2008. Since then I’ve attended some scout camps and a tryout for BC, but it seems like no one is willing to take a chance on an athlete that doesn’t have an agent or D1 college experience.

I have a website with some video and info about myself here: http://www.brandonminch.com. My 40 time isn’t the best on the site (I’ve clocked in the low 4.6’s since), but it’s the most official video I have. Does anyone have advice as to how I could go about finding an agent or a trainer to work with?

I’m willing to relocate and pay for as much training as it takes to prove myself and open some doors to possibly gain some exposure. I’m just trying to find someone who can help me find the right path. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

well, you should probably contact the teams and find out when they plan on holding open tryouts.

I know the Eskimos do it, if you have decent talent, and you're willing to work extra hard to get what you want, they'll give you a look! you just never know right?

[url=http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2008/05/06/gill-sports-management-dominates-cfl-draft%E2%80%A6again/]http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2008/05/ ... 0%A6again/[/url]

I'm in no way a fitness expert and, of course, I have no knowledge of what your training regime is but my advice would be to increase whatever you are doing in terms of cardio and endurance. With the CFL field being larger (110 yards from goal line to goal line and 65 yards wide) there is a lot more running involved. I read where one head coach said CFL game shape was more like NBA game shape than NFL game shape because of the amount of running.

The CFL being the small league that we are uses a lot of different sources to find players. If you know anyone or know someone who knows anyone who is playing or has ever played in the CFL, use the contact. There are current players who are here because someone (a friend, college teammate, alumni from the college) put in a good word for them.

One thing to keep in mind, we are entering the last weekend of the regular season up here so a lot of focus is on securing the best playoff spot possible and not recruiting more players.

Good luck.

I hate to say it, but I’ve always believed it, that to make it to virtually any level of pro, or semi-pro in many cases is 75% ability, and 25% of the quality of your networking/connections are. The trick is to get the attention of those who simply matter. If someone doesn’t drop your name on the desk, you are at the whims of the other 75%. Just think of all the father/son/brother combos that have played (ALL sports, all leagues I am talking here), where one was great and the son or brother stunk or was mediocre at best.

I believe (of course, this doesn’t need to be said) that “connected” Coaches are also quite influnetial.

For example, IMO, if HC Rich Rodriguez of Michigan was to call up ET to drop a name to watch, ET would probably file it right into the trash can. But if OC Ole’ Miss coach was to call up ET with the exact same name, he would give it some serious thought.

One of the best examples I can think of is in hockey, does anyone for a moment think Keith Gretzky had talent at any level? And now, he is Director of Amateur Scouting for, guess who? The Phoenix Coyotes! Wonder how he got that job? Rick Campbell would never have coached in the CFL if it wasn’t for his old man IMO. I reluctantly put Jesse Lumsden in this catagory because at least he has immense talent, did his thing with the NFL, but I don’t think he ever would have gotten a shot with Edmonton if it wasn’t for the sake of Neil, considering how injury prone he is of late. (P.S. that broke my heart watching that shoulder dislocate…I am a fan of that guy!).

So, IMO, without serious connections, you won’t get noticed unless you are at the top of the pack in athletism. CFLISTHEBEST is right, open tryouts but you knew that already. I wasn’t aware anyone was doing them anymore in the CFL.

:thup:

sorry if i got this wrong, but wasnt one of the edmonton QB's delivering chips or something before the esks picked him up?

And Cobb was an assistant janitor in a school.

Ricky Ray for fritos-lays