Ass hat award - TSN

TSN is incredibly inept.

Burt hurt and no explanation. Had three quarters to do it.

Philpot gets five updates.

Our starting centre is out and the crew doesn’t even notice it until a high snap. No explanation again about Fontana.

Hippie Liu apparently is incapable of talking to the Cats bench. Als ass kisser his entire career.

No explanation of the penalties with about 3 minutes left in the third quarter that moved the Als back 15 after an extended TV time out.

Roddy and Duh-wayne are pathetic.

Shameful coverage.

13 Likes

And, who had the wind? Was there wind? Never mentioned.

3 Likes

Yeah no update about burt during game besides one tweet by lu is ridiculous and not right . I did just get a reply from jake saying thanks for my support after i made two Instagram stories about him getting hurt and hoping he is ok.

4 Likes

Only update about Burt , but i will still choose to be optimistic and hope for the best until / unless team says something. Obviously one is going to be upset when they get hurt especially with there parents there at the game .

3 Likes

I agree it should be mentioned but, in this game, the sun may have been a greater consideration, when choosing ends, because the wind was very light.
Montreal won the pre-game toss, chose to receive, and the TiCats kicked off with the breeze at their back. That choice, by Hamilton, surprised me. Montreal made the same, surprising to me, choice of ends after the Tiger-Cats picked receive to start the second half.

It wasn't a good look - for either TSN and more importantly The CFL.
Guys like Forde & Roddy plus Lost in Space Liu are disposable broadcast trash - but its more convenient for Bell to keep low-paid trash in place than develop new and more forthcoming talents.

The senselessness of not tracking on-field injuries is beyond comprehension.

But then again Bell/CTV/TSN propped up an addled Rod Black for over 30 years.

2 Likes

Liu has really gone downhill. Only 1 first class sideline reporter in the TSN group and she'll be leaving in no time. I suspect Sara didn't like what Bell did to Lisa LaFlamme so she decided to take a pay hike from the Wpg Jets to be their internal media reporter - kinda like what Ed Tait does for the Wpg Blue Bombers.
Lalji is alright on the sideline but you'd think a man of his stature and experience would be a bit further up the food chain than he has.

1 Like

Im a fan of matthew scianitti and he actually cares to properly give injury updates when at practices and games, too bad he was covering the stamps and argos game last night since he is based in Toronto.

2 Likes

Not providing injury updates is a major problem with TSN reporting, has been for years. Sometimes they don't even bother to tell you who's injured when a player is down on the field!

4 Likes

Imagine all the prop bets and in-game betting that's affected by their poor reporting of injuries, wind, penalties, injuries, benchings, injuries...

2 Likes

It might be the gaming industry that gives the TSN the kick in the ass it needs to improve the broadcast.

Another thing about the broadcast is default wide angle shot they seem to always use. I get the CFL field is big, and i guess they try to show as much of the play as possible, but its so zoomed out i have a hard time following the snap.

It would be nice if they cut between wide / close in shots more frequently prior to the snap and play.

4 Likes

I'm one of those guys who like to see the play develop, rather than a close-up of the QB at all times. Yes, it's harder to see the snap, but it's good to see what routes are developing and what receivers are open (if any).

2 Likes

I agree, this is where various cameras / cuts come in. Start with a wide angle before the snap, then cut to a shot of the QB /line and snap, then cut to a mid range camera showing 15 yards down field, then, if the play develops further down field, cut back to the wide angle, THEN cut back to a close in shot of the reviver the ball is thrown too.

It happens seamlessly with other sports so much that you hardly notice. The lack of effort from TSN makes it a glaring issue imo.

1 Like

That’s a lot of cuts

TSN no longer deploys spotters in the booth. THeir directors & production people are technical folks, but certainly not football peeps so they prolly don't even know most of the stars' names, let alone linemen grunts.
Suitor & Forde, even Rod Smith at times, certainly Dusty Neilson at all times barely know the starter's names - let alone who the backups are.
The combination of zero eyes in the sky and zero personal knowledge is a slap against every fan who has supported this league and its various television trucks for well over 50 years!

3 Likes

Marshall Ferguson and Matthew Scianitti know who the players are and Marshall even played u sports with and against some current cflers. No doubt many others on tsn don't care to know the players same with some people who cover sports on news stations who are almost never around teams .

1 Like

You ever hear Lalji when he does play-by-play. Half the time he will misidentify the players involved in the play. That guy is totally unprepared for the broadcast and always sounds like he is winging it.

3 Likes

Thats why Lalji is over 50 and still doing local sports! He's unprepared and not fluid.

1 Like

Marshall knows the game and has decent broadcasting chops. A little green in the grass but don't question his knowledge or his fluidity. Because he's the new boy on the block he's not allowed to play as much hopscotch as the other girls.

He clearly learned at the Rod Black School of Broadcast Journalism. :smiley:

1 Like