Ask the ref-------Taunting

ANALYZING FOULS AND PENALTIES
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:25AMIn the Rule Book: Fouls and Penalties, Section 4D,
"A player shall be penalized for any act of objectionable conduct, including but not limited to ... baiting or taunting an opponent by act or word.
"Is this a new rule? It appears that a player can be penalized for hurting another player's feelings. I didn't realize CFL players were so sensitive.

Answer:This rule has been in the CFL rule book for several years. It is designed to penalize players who are "showing up" their opponents. It is an act that often leads to additional "extra curricular" player action which we wish to curb.The act of taunting an opponent has nothing to do with football

I think that dancing in the endzone should be added to the list of taunting. If that isn't the ultimate in "showing up" their opponents I dont know what is. Also I think it is somewhat "Little League"

...........in the ottawa game, calgary's DB Chatman IT's the ball......as the gade receiver is running away from him, chatman turns to his OWN bench and spikes the ball, which happens to contact the leg of an official whos' running up to the point where chatman left the field to spot the exit point.......and the ref calls a taunting penalty.......WTF?........call it 'abusing an offical' if anything....

WHAT??? You want to get rid of end-zone dancing? I am appalled. Nothing's better than seeing your guys performing their new moves that they practiced all winter!

Taunting is a crap penalty, under any conditions.

GoRiders
I dont know if you are being serious or not but I think it is childish and should be done away with.
AirCanada
Maybe it is a crap penalty but like all the other penalties it should be called everytime or never

i dont care about tauinting, but getting rid of choreographed TD dances is okay with me....the spiking thing though, it think its just cuz he was near the ref, just likein the NBA playoffs when a PG got a Technical for slamming the ball down in front of the ref, he wasnt taunting, but he got called for it

You can dance, you can jump, you can yell, you can throw yourself into the stands and be mawled by fans ( Lambeau Leap ), by but you cannot personalize or direct your celebration at or in the face of an opponent. As you know football's do not bounce straight up when spiked, so when the ref was hot by the ball, how was he suppose to know that it was not intentional ? or if it was thrown at a player ? When you score make it look like you do it all the time. cause you'll be back.

ro1313......I am serious! I love the end-zone dances. Yes they are childish but hey, it's all in fun.

You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind... 8)

"........ but if you don't dance, then you're no friend of mine."

Actually, Kman, it's "but your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine." :smiley:

I know that, hense the "........ " before the quotation and instead of being plural I was singular. I'm sorry. For god's sake forgive me.