Artificial Turf Probable for Commonwealth Stadium

According to this article on the Edmonton Journal website today, Edmonton city council will probably vote to install artificial turf at Commonwealth Stadium in time for the 2010 CFL season:

[url=http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Artificial+turf+recommended+Edmonton+Commonwealth+Stadium/2662484/story.html]http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/A ... story.html[/url]
:( I dunno, I always like the Edmonton games because they turn into a classic mud bowl. Ahh well.

Grey Cups though can be interesting on that field at that time of year, little patches of turf buched up from cleats frozen, hurts just thinking about falling on the field when it gets like that.

I for one appreciate this move.I hate watching game's where big play's are prevented because nobody can get their footing.It's like watching pee-wee football.No matter how good your team is, if you can't move without sliding and/or falling you're gunna lose.

Yeah but it also makes for those awesome 'holy crap!' drop-your-beer fumbles when everyone on the field is scrambling for the loose ball.

This is bad.Football should be played on REAL GRASS...NOT PLASTIGRASS!!!

I think it's a shame that the entire league will play on synthetic surfaces. :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

Look, this is real football, not wanky soccer where it has to be grass because 'da wittle bally don't bouncee goodie'. Football can be played on any surface, the boys will go out there on ashphalt if need be an not complain like soccer wankers.
Plus more uses for the community high school games and that not having to worry if the grass will get torn up.

Earl, that is a very good point... i would hope that it is currently being used in that manner, and if not, this would give them to do it for sure. I remember when i was playing OVFL, and the championship was at Ivor Wynn, and also in high school when the Golden hourseshoe games were there (i played 2 games at the stadium)... it was like living the dream before i even got close.

I've always been completely blown away that a climate like Edmonton - of all places - has managed to have natural turf at all. In impressive feat in lawn care.

It was certainly well maintained, but it was also almost never used for anything other than Eskimos' home games and the odd major event like Grey Cups and international soccer matches. No practices were ever held on it and the visiting CFL teams were not even permitted on the field for their walk-thru on the day prior to a game. Visiting players, under the watchful eyes of the grounds keeper, were allowed, at most, to briefly test out their footwear in one endzone.

Earl... all football players do is run on the surface... period. In soccer, the ball is in contact with the turf, so yes, the turf has a significant impact on the game. As for soccer players being "wankers".... let's see you run your @ss off for 90 minutes.

As for football players not complaining about the turf.... guess you haven't been listening to players comments on the turf in Toronto.

I agree with you Earl thath the culture surrounding the sport of soccer is a polar opposite to football or hockey where the tiniest physical nuisance is treated like a terminal illness.

Having said that, there are practical reasons inherent to soccer why a natural surface is needed more so than in football. Soccer involves running upwards of 10 to 15 km per game where no more than 3 players will be switched out with only one real stoppage in play at the midway point of the 90 minutes. With all the sliding and kicking at full force often through and underneath the ball, the surface has to give in a way that only a natural surface can without added risk of injury. You can't swap players out at will to treat bumps and bruises and fix equipment. The nature of the game requires lose limbs and joints and you can't protect everything with 3 rolls of tape. You also don't have dressed rosters of 42 players with some positions 3 or 4 players deep.

Is it a woosy sport? Definitely, but with a squad of 16, 11 on the field of which no less than 8 will play the entire 90 minutes, it is easier to understand why the sport is held to a cushier standard.

and besides like baseball the bounce of the ball is an integral part of the game that suffers badly with surfaces that are too hard whereas football puts a premium on not putting the ball on the ground

Yes joed and AKT, soccer is inherintely different as you say with different needs. That being said, I thought this was interesting in an article I read about Commonwealth going artificial:

Nor are the requirements of other sports like soccer or rugby any sort of impediment to going artificial.
"As recently as 10 years ago, all FIFA (Federation internationale de football associations) sanctioned matches had to be on natural grass," said Anthony Traficante, technical operations co-ordinator for the Alberta Soccer Association. "Now, if the turf is (in accordance with FIFA specifications) then all matches other than men's World Cup matches can be held there."

It's about time, they get an unfair advantage by mucking up the field. They doctor it up to their liking and the last Grey cup played there was brutally boring, no one got any offence going because it was like playing on a skating rink. I like games in the mud as much as anyone else but I dont remember watching a single mud game in my life in Edmonton.

I think it's been voted on and is a done deal. :thup:

Wonder what effect this will have on #28?

Maybe none, at all!
The following is quoted from earlier this month in Rod Pedersen's blog. He's the Roughrider's play-by-play guy and one of the best sources for CFL news and views from the west:

"The Esks still have some key personnel decisions to make and at the top of the list is Jesse Lumsden.

After Lumsden finished fifth in both the two-man and four-man Olympic bobsleigh event with driver Pierre Lueders, the Esks will have to determine whether to keep the oft-injured running back for 2010.

The club has picked up the option year of Lumsden's contract, but with the season rookie Arkee Whitlock experienced, it would not be a surprise if Lumsden was released or traded, likely for draft picks, which would save salary cap dollars."