Article written about Toronto and the Grey Cup

I grew up in Hamilton and have lived here again for the last 6 years - and love it. But for 25 years I lived in Toronto - visit it regularly still - find it too crowded foor my liking to live there - but LOVE that I'm within an hour of it to take advantage of all the amazing thing it offers - many of which just are not available here in Hamilton - at least not on a regular basis..

As somebody who works in the travel/toursm business and has visited dozens of big cities around the world - and am involved with a number of tourism rellated organizations - I completely 'get' why Toronto is rated as one of the great cities in the world - by all kinds of standards by numerous international organizations.

It's a shame some who live there don't recognize how lucky they are - and I'll never understand some of the criticisms by so many Canadians who do not live or visit there on a regular basis.

I think the OP said Toronto isn’t a “Canadian” sports town. CFL, Jr. hockey, curling etc.

First night back at home after 6 in TO. I agree that Grey Cup in TO should be years off at this point. The city is Great with tons to do but there's also tons for Argo ownership to do. They botched Grey Cup 2016 big time by hiring clue outs to run the show.

The city is full of young people who fill the entertainment district to hit dance clubs and drink. Those folks aren't giving a crap about any sport let alone the Argos. I heard one comment about I follow NFL and I gave nummy a few choice words.

NFL has zero to do with anything. There are plenty of Argo fans who just sit at home watching on tv instead of heading to games. Ownership has to get them down to BMO. Grey Cup was just a huge blunder with the pricing.

So what was your impressions of the parties ? I have read conflicting reports just wondered what your thoughts were ?

That’s not an excuse. Those young people are sports fans. They go to the club around 10:30 pm or later, after any local sports team plays.

So, Stifler’s Mom, how do you propose the Argos get more fans into the seats and change the attitude regarding the CFL ? You seem to have a pulse on the heart of Toronto. What’s the answer ?

Pat , I live in the country always have , visiting Toronto for some of us is a nightmare not a novelty , not only can we not afford it in a lot of cases , ie … hotel prices , parking , food , taxis etc etc … even the folks living there can’t afford it without going so far into debt its ridiculous … re house prices .
I own my own house in a beautiful lake Huron side town , beautiful beaches , beautiful clean water , I have deer and rabbits and skunks and rainbow trout in the creek in the spring , all in my back yard !! No crowds except for tourists in the summer, we even have wifi and electricity here .
Yes , lots of snow . road closures etc in winter but the quality of life is out standing . I even get to go to Ticat games when I want and its affordable and don’t have to anywhere near TO to get there ,… I just wish there would be more flights out of Hamilton airport so I didn’t have to go to TO at all .

So , there are two sides to every story , there is a hell of a lot more to living, then visiting Toronto, especially for us folks that live elsewhere .
Most of us or most of the people I know , know a heck of lot about Toronto and the surrounding area , a lot of the folks that live in Toronto I bet don’t know a thing about the rest of us or their country , which is kinda sad really . Cheers .

He doesn’t have the answer. The MLSE owners have the pulse of the city and they don’t have any answers as to how they can get more fans to Argo games.
Everything was tried this season - the novelty of the move to BMO, the marketing with the Argos running through the Princes Gates which was played over and over on local TV, the TTC ads, the CFL ads, the Tail gating at the Ex with the $4 beers, the Shipyards concerts at the EX, the two games with the free tickets to the EX, the $25 tickets, the two for one promotion, the hype with Toronto hosting the Grey Cup.

A year ago at this time everyone was talking about how great it was to move out of the RC and that was the main reason for the lack of interest. The move to BMO would mean a run on season ticket sales and that every game would be sold out in a smaller stadium. You can go back and look at all the posts from a year ago.
A year from now we will still be posting the same old “what is wrong with the CFL in Toronto and how do we get more fans out”.
No one has the answers

Yup, we'll all be posting the same old 'what's wrong with Toronto' narratives and how do we fold or move them.

2 years ago there we're many threads with people saying they would never be sold from Braley nor move into BMO or somehow the Soccer folks (a minority of them) will form a wall to keep them out or boycott Bell, something to get people going.

In time, they'll be another Grey Cup here per the sale agreement so yes the writing on the wall will continue to be said and the haters of the world will keep saying 'how long can ownership keep them for?'...waiting for that other shoe that just won't drop and those same people will be disappointed.....as always :lol:

The Blue Jays 6 to 7 years ago turned things around in part due to a clever retro rebrand where they went back to the old logo. I think the Argos old logo, that plain letter “A” looks miles better than their current one and using a solid navy blue uniform would look sharp. The Jays targeted young, professional women in their 20s and early 30s living in the downtown core to great success with the whole angle that it’s a “great girls night out” sort of thing where watching baseball is secondary to the whole social aspect of it, not so different from the suits in the ACC. Now, the targeting of professional women and promoting the social aspect of the game has already been attempted by the Argos, who targeted liberty village and promoted tailgating and all that fun stuff to no decent avail.

The obvious thing to do is get Drake involved. Have a Drake night and use a third uniform that is black with bronze trimming similar to the Raptors uniform during Drake night. Just bring him on as a brand ambassador and have him endorse the Argos. If he says something is cool, the young girls will think it’s cool. Sure, the rest of us will roll our eyes but there will at least be a packed BMO.

Doh, who woulda thought it was that easy ? Have you been in touch with Argos Head office ? I'm sure they would like this phenomenal franchise saving info.

I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot.

They are the Double Blue, not the Single Blue. Their colours are Oxford Blue and Cambridge Blue, not Navy Blue.

There are some Argo fans who like the plain letter A, but many more seem to like the boat logo won between 1977 and 1988. There were at least three versions of the plain A: a block, sans-serif version used briefly in the 1960s, an asymmetrical version used from late 1960s to 1976, and a symmetrical, serif version used 1991-94.

A thousand times no. There are already four teams in the league using black as a predominant colour. You don’t put a team know for more than 100 years as the Double Blue in black and bronze. That’s insane.