Article written about Toronto and the Grey Cup

I identified with this article so much I thought it deserved its own thread. I am not sure how to post the whole article ,for those that know please do so . Anyway here is the link.

[url=http://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/time-to-put-a-moratorium-on-toronto-hosting-the-grey-cup]http://calgaryherald.com/sports/footbal ... e-grey-cup[/url]

I agree. The Grey Cup needs to stay away for 9 or 10 years.

Time to put a moratorium on Toronto hosting the Grey Cup

Every time you turned on the radio in Toronto this week, it seemed like somebody was talking about why the city didn’t care about the CFL.

Meanwhile, Canadians from across the country were partying it up and celebrating their game in bars and restaurants along Front Street.

But Torontonians were so caught up in debating why they didn’t care about Sunday’s Grey Cup that they didn’t notice.

It takes a lot of work to care so little about something that you miss the fun right in front of you, so maybe it’s time we had a little chat about hosting our major sporting events in the 416-area.

It’s time to break up with Toronto.

The Grey Cup shouldn’t be hosted by Toronto for a long time.
The truth of the matter is, Toronto just isn’t much of a Canadian sports city.

Sure, if the city can house a team that will bring a little recognition from our neighbours to the south, Torontonians are going to show up to the arena in droves.

“We’re soooo world class,? they say, conveniently ignoring that a genuine All-Star hasn’t chosen to sign with a Toronto team as a free agent since who? Roger Clemens? That was 1997.

But when it comes to Canada’s biggest and best sporting traditions, Torontonians don’t show up.

Every year thousands of curling fans flock to the Brier for one of the oldest and most cherished events on the Canadian sporting calendar. The last time the event was hosted in Toronto? That would be in 1941, and don’t expect Curling Canada to try and court the city’s apathetic sports ‘fans’ any time soon.

The Grey Cup has been hosted in Toronto countless times, but the struggle to sell out BMO Field last week showed that the city’s appetite for football just isn’t all that strong.
And don’t claim it’s because Toronto’s a major market and deserves a major market NFL team. We all remember how things went down when the Buffalo Bills tried to make an annual pilgrimage to Toronto (not well, for those who forget).

You’d think that hockey would be the sport where Torontonians could really hang their hats. They love the Leafs, right?

They do, but major markets across the country are able to accommodate CHL hockey teams as well as NHL franchises. Vancouver has both, so do Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa. Not Toronto, though.

Let’s not forget that the World Cup of Hockey – an admittedly silly little tournament – didn’t exactly draw big numbers at the Air Canada Centre earlier this year, either.

When it comes to the sporting events that bring Canadians from across this country together, Torontonians refuse to participate.

They’ll wave their Canadian flags every two years while the Olympics are on, but that’s the extent of Toronto’s involvement in the Canadians sports scene.

Toronto FC fans will cry about being ignored here, and they are playing the Montreal Impact this week in a semifinal of some sort. I’m sure it’s a big deal, but that’s two Canadian teams filled with players from abroad and playing in an American league.

So it’s time to cut and run.

The Grey Cup doesn’t need Toronto. Real football fans are going to travel to whatever city plays host and it’s going to be a great party, celebrating a great sport that will build all week to a fantastic game of football.

What’s the argument for going back to Toronto any time soon? The media spotlight that comes with playing in the country’s biggest city? Again, the Brier hasn’t been in Toronto for decades and curling’s done just fine.

So let’s agree on something: Toronto can keep the Argos, but until the city proves that it can actually support a football team, we’re not going to let it play host our biggest party.
Start selling out BMO Field when the Argos are playing, and maybe we’ll consider letting them back in on all the fun.

But for now, let’s all just go our separate ways.

The CFL’s got a great product and great fans. If Torontonians can’t appreciate that, it’s not our responsibility to try and show them what they’re missing.

daustin@postmedia.com

@DannyAustin_9

...while I agree we can probably do without a GC in Toronto anytime soon it's also time for various media to stop hammering on the issue as well...there are other things to write about...

Just talking to a friend who went down to TO. He said the team party rooms were doing well and full. Bars he said, you did not even know the game was on.

I agree, it just makes sense no more Grey Cups in Toronto. There is little interest in the CFL in Toronto, it’s going to be a real hard sell to attract fans to BMO to Argo games next year. In most cities the opening of a new stadium would attract a lot of fans just for the novelty of a new stadium and then eventually the novelty wears off and attendance can drop. But as long as the new owners are willing to pay the bills and operate with low attendance the Argos will keep going.

I agree completely with the article. We spent two days at the TiCat hangout, saw the Sheepdogs and the game. My friends noticed even what a difference there was from 2012. I'd love to say only good things about the league but it may be best to stay away for a while.

I'm sick of constantly hearing about Toronto this and Toronto that for the Grey Cup and CFL. It's sickening and that's one reason I try and not read these articles and may have to finally get off this board because it's brought up here time and time again.

But hey, if the Argo ownership group wants and can keep them going, why not. They have a great facility now in BMO.

But yup, no Grey Cups in Toronto for a while, I think most will agree with that except the hotels there. :wink:

People are tired of hearing about Toronto? It’s always the most popular topics on these forums…and people question why this market is a priority for the league.

This is pretty much 1992 all over again.

Much like that year, it’s time to stay away for a while. It’s now up to ownership and management to rebuild the fan base of this franchise.

Once built up go back like they did in 2007 and it was very successful. That year was go good, Bob McCown advocated bringing the CG to Toronto more often .

Funny how times change :lol:

The whole Toronto thing makes me not even want to watch any Toronto sports teams. There seems to be a sickness to Toronto and sports and this seems, for me, to exist, even when I see 50,000 at a Blue Jays game enjoying themselves knowing the Blue Jays are hot stuff there. I still get an uneasy sort of feeling about the city. Hard for me to put my finger on it.

Weird. Maybe it's just me but I'm getting turned off going to Toronto for any reason nowadays even for concerts, for anything, even to visit relatives. I just want to stay away from that city if I have to. Some sort of yuck factor, at least for me. :? I've come to realization that Toronto just isn't my scene any longer, don't need it unless I really have to go there for something required like a family thing but not to go there to feel to have to "fit in" with being there for what's cool and hip. Nope.

This article has a lot of fallacies that need to be addressed. This is from a Toronto perspective.

It takes a lot of work to care so little about something that you miss the fun right in front of you, so maybe it’s time we had a little chat about hosting our major sporting events in the 416-area.
Ummm, no it doesn't. To actually go to any pre-party event or do anything out of the like, you had to physically take time out of your day to visit these things. If you don't care, why would you go? It takes a lot more work to "care" than not.
The truth of the matter is, Toronto just isn’t much of a Canadian sports city.
How rich. When people outside Toronto or the GTA try to comprehend this city's apathy towards CFL football, they always resort to Toronto not being much of a sports city, which is completely asinine. The level of support and interest the Leafs, Raps, TFC and Jays get would beg to differ. If you tell me Toronto isn't a "sports city", you should show me what exactly constitutes being a "sports city".
Sure, if the city can house a team that will bring a little recognition from our neighbours to the south, Torontonians are going to show up to the arena in droves.
Yeah, this is it. I'm sure the only reason people have been Leaf fans all these years is because the recognition we get from Americans.... TFC as well.

While the Jays and Raps do get a lot of press south of the border during those recent playoff runs, their fan bases don't hinge on anything like that.

“We’re soooo world class,? they say, conveniently ignoring that a genuine All-Star hasn’t chosen to sign with a Toronto team as a free agent since who? Roger Clemens? That was 1997.
Now we're just being silly. What does signing as a free agent have anything to do with it? There have been plenty of All-Stars who have played over here in the past two decades. How they got here doesn't really matter. I'm not even going to mention names as I can go on all day about that.
They do, but major markets across the country are able to accommodate CHL hockey teams as well as NHL franchises. Vancouver has both, so do Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa. Not Toronto, though.
Toronto has an AHL team that does well. I'm sure if they housed a CHL team in the downtown core, it would do the same.
Let’s not forget that the World Cup of Hockey – an admittedly silly little tournament – didn’t exactly draw big numbers at the Air Canada Centre earlier this year, either.
Did this guy look at the overall average to build this strawman argument? For team Canada matches, they were at or near capacity in the ACC at 19000 plus. Considering how high the tickets were, that's really good.
When it comes to the sporting events that bring Canadians from across this country together, Torontonians refuse to participate.

They’ll wave their Canadian flags every two years while the Olympics are on, but that’s the extent of Toronto’s involvement in the Canadians sports scene.

Excuse me? Who is this hack? The World Juniors here in 2015 did really well, and Team Canada matches drew similar numbers to Team Canada matches at the World Cup of Hockey.
Toronto FC fans will cry about being ignored here, and they are playing the Montreal Impact this week in a semifinal of some sort. I’m sure it’s a big deal, but that’s two Canadian teams filled with players from abroad and playing in an American league.
I guess his google is broke. Between the false statements and not knowing what this semi final is about just shows that. Aren't journalists suppose to research things?
What’s the argument for going back to Toronto any time soon? The media spotlight that comes with playing in the country’s biggest city? Again, the Brier hasn’t been in Toronto for decades and curling’s done just fine.
Finally, this guy wrote something somewhat intelligent.
The CFL’s got a great product and great fans. If Torontonians can’t appreciate that, it’s not our responsibility to try and show them what they’re missing.
Who said it was? As far as I'm aware, it's the league and Argo's FO that are beating their brains trying to figure this situation out.

AGREE,

No more Grey Cups in Toronto for at least 9 or 10 years.

Put it in the 8 cities that care.

Time for the CFL to stop forcing it on the Toronto dwellers and media.

Or at least do not overprice the tickets then have a super sale on unsold seats.

If it was not for R Nation showing up to fill the stands this venture would have been a disaster.

Again, the Brier hasn’t been in Toronto for decades and curling’s done just fine.
That is an excellent point without a doubt. Right now gridiron football just isn't a "cool" thing in Toronto, at least from a real live attending sort of perspective. You have to remember even Rogers was getting rid of discounted tickets for the NFL Bills series and cancelled the series before it was done. Jerry Jones going public he was disappointed in Toronto. That was a great opportunity for Toronto to go all out and show they really, really wanted a team in the NFL. Rogers got the message loud and clear.

So it's not just a CFL and Argos thing IMHO.

M.G. is one smart poster. :thup:

Sorry, Stifler's mom, you're doing some revisionist history here. The point about is right about free agents, they don't want to come here. Sure guys turned into all-stars, but that's because they were acquired at an early age. The city is NOT a destination for all-stars in the prime of their career.

The Junior hockey teams? Would do well? Ever heard of St Mike's Majors? Mississauga IceDogs? Brampton Battalion? The Steelheads in Mississauga can barely draw flies.

The Marlies? lol. Playing in front of family and friends.

The Raptors and TFC? Their attendances were trending downwards until they started winning. Same with the Jays.

Toronto only supports one thing through and through. The Leafs. Every else has to be the flavour of the month.

Funny how people from other cities find time away from their lives to support the festivities when the Cup is in their city.

Ever since the early 80s people have been so worried about their perception with the Americans. They act like a schoolgirl on prom night checking herself out before her date arrives. The funny thing is, Americans couldn't give a damn about Toronto.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when Bell et al bought the Argos I thought they had some guarantee by the league to get two Grey Cups within 6 or 7 years with that deal with 2016 being the first one. Of course this can all be re-negotiated, but certainly many other cities in line for their own Cups before Toronto ever gets another one. Hamilton should be next after Ottawa in 2017, then Saskatchewan. Maybe if that old monstrosity Olympic stadium in Montreal is safe enough to sit in (seemed passable for that MLS soccer game the other week) they can host it again as it's been awhile since they had one (2008). Calgary is probably off the radar until they get a new stadium, but they could certainly host a great Grey Cup festival even in the old barn.

BTW I assume they will be expanding Ottawa's stadium for the Grey Cup next year? I am thinking of possibly attending being it is Canada's 150'th birthday and should be a great Grey Cup week no matter who is in the game. Love what Ottawa has done coming back to the league and for the city. I remember all the naysayers or Scrooges trying to hold things up in building the new stadium and other expansion in that local area of Ottawa. I bet they are all pretty quiet now in what is a wonderful model for many cities to follow for their sports facilities. Done right it can really revitalize an entire area and become a real attraction for a city.

I wonder if the fact that BMO isn't really a "new" stadium also factored into it.

Sure, it's new to CFL fans, but it's been around since 2007. And there aren't enough CFL fans in Toronto to make it a novelty.

Well it's known that Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton is a classier and more solid stadium than BMO albeit BMO has the awnings thing which, of course, Hamilton could put up if needed. So that's not something for most Torontians to get excited about having something lesser than Hamilton. TFC fans don't care though, they seem very passionate about their team despite a middle of the road type of football stadium in Canada (who would have thought that come 2017 little ol' Regina in Saskatchewan will have something way better for a football/soccer stadium than yup, Toronto! :o - can you say embarrassment of sorts for Toronto from a football/soccer stadium point of view? Absolutely especially considering that TFC plays in what TFC fans like to think is a true "major" league!), and there does seem to be a whole heck of lot more TFC fans than Argo fans. At least willing to show up at the stadium paying money for tickets.

Give TFC fans credit especially playing in the stadium they play in that will be, as I say, not up to snuff football wise in Canada come next year compared with Regina! To me that's sort of a WOW! So you have to give credit to these soccer fans in Toronto. They really do love their soccer and that will be proven more and more as time goes on.

Really, the Grey Cup back in Toronto shouldn't or more precisely need not happen for a long time after this year. BMO becomes more inferior as a football stadium in Canada, comparatively speaking, as time goes on. Even Montreal now can go from Molson or Saputo to the Big O in a stadium, the Big O, that is football first, baseball second. Rogers Centre is now basically baseball all the way.

I didn't do any revisionist history. I never contested the free agent thing. I said it doesn't matter how a player comes to be here. If they are an all star, they are an all star. Also, to challenge this notion of no free agents signing here, I'd like to point out Derozan. He was a free agent that happened to resign with the Raptors in the prime of his career. However, considering you already shown a pension for grasping at straws, you're most likely going to come back with "Wait! Uhhhhh, he technally resigned though!" which is true. However, that's not the point. He was a free agent and an all-star in the prime of his career. Please, don't try to retard yourself up further by saying "Uhhh wait, I mean't Toronto can't attract a free agent who wasn't just playing for the city."

Junior hockey has been a tough sell in the GTA. I think a team playing in the downscaled Maple Leaf Gardens would do well though with the right branding. The jury is out on that though. For what it's worth, Montreal doesn't have a CHL team either.

Raptors and TFC attendances trended downward to the slightest degree during their years of futility. However, I ask you to show me one city that doesn't have a pro team whos attendance dips when the team's performance falters? When the 76ers, Islanders, Timberwolves, Bruins, Rangers (Texas), Blues, Pacers, Wizards and Blackhawks have losing seasons, their attendances plummet. I guess Philly, New York, Minnesota, Boston, Dallas, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Washington and Chicago aren't really sports towns either. The fact the Raptors and TFC still drew high, even if things were slightly "trending downwards", during lean years, gives more argument to Toronto being a true sports town.

The Jays attendance didn't increase because they started to win, that came after. Their attendance started to increase when they changed their whole marketing approach and which segment to target around 2011 along with a classic rebrand.

Face it, this is a Toronto not being receptive to the CFL thing, not a Toronto not being a "true sports town". Anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves beyond delusion.

Also, no one in Toronto or the GTA is worried about how Americans perceive us. That's just some strange propaganda cooked up by a few trying to justify the city's apathy towards the CFL. However, if it makes you feel better, you can believe it if you want.

It sad how how the Americans continue to recognize our wonderful league over the kool aid drinking vast majority US wannabes here in the "world class city".
On top of which the stupid people of Toronto yes I am generalizing still don't get it.
In fact, they don't deserve it.

Nobody in this city is a US wannabe. Not liking the CFL does not make one a US wannabe.