Arogant response from BC Lions Director of Communications

Please See Jamie's response to my initial email

Well Jamie

I appreciate the quick response.

It is truly unfortunate that you would think my comments are without merit, but then again I shouldn't have expected more. Let us look at the facts of the class. The hit was sufficient for the ref to throw a flag and disqualify Jimenez for the remainder of the game, without knowing the extent of the injuries.

Second the league not only suspended Jimenez, they didn't want the suspension temporarily suspended. They wanted the suspension applied to the up coming game.

Third, some of your staunches fans who were at the game and actually saw the hit called it unnecessary. If you do not believe me, try reading the CFL forum sometime.

Fourth, Dickenson has been quoted in the papers as saying that type of play wasn't necessary.

Add to this a number of sports professionals have also commented on the hit.

To me that is sufficient "fact" enough for me to say that hit was unnecessary.

My only hope is that enough fans write in and complain. Maybe then the win at all costs mentality that almost ruined the league before won't continue.

A fan that may never cross the doors of BC Place again.

[b]Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:52:39 -0800

Mike

Thanks for your comments.

I believe however, they are completely without merit. You have not seen the play in question, no one has.

To say our club endorses any type of play that puts any other players at risk is ludicrous at best and insulting to men who have dedicated dozens of years and thousands of hours to the game of football.

You are entitled to your opinions, but in all honesty you really don’t have any foundation on which to support them and I would suggest getting all the facts before sending messages such as this.

Jamie Cartmell
Director, Communications
BC Lions Football Club

[url=mailto:nmcevoy@bclions.com]nmcevoy@bclions.com[/url]; jcartmell@bclions.com

Subject: Time for the BC Lions suspend Jimenez

To the BC Lions

It is time that BC Lions suspend Jimenez. The hit by Jason Jimenez was a brutal vicious hit that has no place in the Canadian Football League. While Jason has exercised his right to appeal the suspension imposed by the league. It time for the BC Lions to demonstrate they don't condone this type of behaviour.

BC Lions have been accused many times this year of in-appropriate behaviour. On the first few occasions, as a fan I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, given the incident in Regina and now this incident, it appears as if the team not only approves of this type of play, but I am beginning to believe they encourage it. Had the General Manager stepped up and said that he was recommending that Jimenez not appeal, just like he did after the Regina game, I would have approved. But sadly it did not happen in this situation. The only thing left for the BC Lions organization to demonstrate that they will not win by any means possible including cheating, is to sit Jimenez for the remainder of the season.

As a person from another province, who has attended at least 2 or 3 games a year in BC. I will tell you, I will not be supporting your organization if the proper measures are not taken by your team. This includes never attending a future Grey Cup game awarded to BC.

Regards
Mike, a loyal CFL fan

Arrogant is your opinion.

Mike as someone who likes to goof around on this forum you better put this one to rest before the club gets their lawyers to write you a love letter and you get into a bunch of hot water.

You’re mispresenting the league’s opinion and I doubt the leauge has given you permission to express their opinion on the matter:

Second the league not only suspended Jimenez, they didn’t want the suspension temporarily suspended. They wanted the suspension applied to the up coming game.

I still marvel at how CFL players can appeal their suspensions, and continue to play while they are in the middle of an appeal. The NHL doesn't do this. The players suck it up, take their suspensions like a man, and wait it out.

In the CFL, you hire a hometown season ticket holder to vouch for you that you're a good guy and that you really didn't mean to do anything bad, and then you're off the hook.

The CFL needs to grow a pair.

I'm actually surprised by the response of the Lions Communications Director. I would have expected a neutral statement saying that "we are not involved, we will allow the CFL and the CFLPA to determine the outcome..." This is quite surprising. Homer-ism rules in Vancouver.

I've tried to review the play several times on TSN Broadband, and I still can't see what happened. However, that doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

...whatever....this league operates like a joke, so this is no surprise....

This shit happens on every shift of a hockey game. Nobody blinks an eye. Theres constant butt ending and jabbing guys with sticks. Ive been on the bottom of piles been eye gouged and had my nuts squeezed. No one knows what these guys are yacking about at each other during the game and they wont ever tell either. Theres 2 sides to every story.

Couldn't have said it any better than Jamie. Way to go, buddy.

Now, enough of the fixation with JJ, let's focus on the game.

are you bertuzzi's defense lawyer??

Hey I could have been a lawyer... If it wasnt for all that university and stuff. Actually I am but Im tied up representing OJ right now.

well, if I am on the Jury, Jimenez is fried

Im not saying what he did is right but there is another side to the story.

WTF is the other side, then smart guy?

On the first few occasions, as a fan I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, given the incident in Regina and now this incident, it appears as if the team not only approves of this type of play, but I am beginning to believe they encourage it.
Arrogant? No Mike, the man wasn’t being arrogant. He simply read your message and concluded that you are a nut-bar and quite frankly after having read it myself, I’m inclined to agree with him.
I've tried to review the play several times on TSN Broadband, and I still can't see what happened. However, that doesn't mean that it didn't happen.
Yikes! Do you realize what you just wrote?

If either of you have or are contemplating children, the gene pool is in serious trouble.

You’re a tool. Have you seen the footage? The only thing that TSN shows is the ball. You miss what happened at the line. Go watch it yourself. You never see him go down. Obviously, he went down. But the video doesn’t show him going down. Do I need to paint you a picture?

First off, I don't see the arrogance. And why should he be more neutral? The club is hosting their 2nd most important game amidst some controversial happenings. I'd call Cartmell's response: "having none of it." The club needs to show their stance against all comments regarding Jimenez. Besides, the League ruled on the decision. Calling out the Lions reputation does nothing to support claims to sit Jimenez.

You can't tell a club built to win to throw a monkey wrench in it's own engine. Just boo Jimenez, boo the LIons, it's the only real way for them to hear the displeasure. Not that they'd care should they get another ring. Brutal. They're protected by polices in place by the League and see it fit to stick to their version of the story.

No one knows what these guys are yacking about at each other during the game and they wont ever tell either. Theres 2 sides to every story.

Question: Does the NFL have an appeal, because I noticed more often than not, the player sucks it up and takes the suspension. I agree. The CFL needs to grow a pair.

And I also agree with your assessment about Neil. :lol:

CBC is supposed to show the footage at the prior to the games on Sunday according to Elliot Friedmans article.

Yup. Can't wait for it:
"I-told-you-so-Did-not-That's-nothing-Liar" merry-go-round discussions after they re-release the footage...

They did show the footage once already, and to be honest, its very hard to see the incident that took place. Im sure there will be lots of people watching the next time they air it, and there will be different takes on what actually happened.
I actually will give mike kudos for taking the stand and writing to the Lions office, and the response is predictable, and mike should not be the least bit surprised at the kind of response he received.

I agree that Jamie rightly figured out that Mike is a nutbar immediately . Why would he not defend his own club ? Would any others team rep do it any different ? Of course Mike would expect a rep for the Riders to trash his own team . Right.