Armstead to Als?

[url=http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=239631&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_main]http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=239631&lid= ... lines_main[/url]

I'm sure als4ever will be rather happy if this materializes. Armstead for 80 Grand, unbiased opinions would be preferred...what do you think?

Not a suprise. I wish him all the best and if he can have another 2000 yard season for combined yardage(second in the cfl and twice that of any ticat) he will be a nice addition to the als.

Not really cause Armour is in Calgary. Armstead is shopping his services...Nice to see he's not having DAD do it for him :slight_smile: I'm thinking he ends up with the Eskimos or better yet Toronto's other football team...

Not a good fit with montreal, they need tall aggressive receivers considering their qb's have noodles for arms and will be throwing a lot of wounded ducks this year. Armstead would be a better fit with a team where he'll have a chance to blow by his man and catch it on the run, not blow by his man then have 3 defenders ontop of him by the time the ball arives.

thats right too, thanks

NP

I don't think there is room in Mtl for him anyway. I'm told Jamel Richardson, Peter Warrick and Eric Desjardins are doing great and you know Watkins,Cahoon and Thurmon are rock steady.

With Boston failing his medical he might work out in Toronto with his old teammate KJ.

I think this was Popp's way of letting the other GM's know what he offered Armstead :slight_smile:

Actually Drexl don't be surprised to see the Ticats pickup the Als leftovers by the end of the month. Any of the top eight receivers on the Als team are at least the equal of Miles.

Hmm. Quite a (reported) decrease in salary. From what I have heard (nothing that can be verified), the Gliebs gave Armstead a $175k contract. O’Bie wanted to renegotiate and offer him a multi-year contract. Now he wants to sign for $95k less than what he was (reportedly) making. Even the great Jim Popp turned him down for that much.

Still think he’s the be-all and end-all Beetlejuicey03? Does it still make the club and O’Bie look cheap? Or does it simply say that Armstead was WAY overpriced?

Popp: ".....unless the contract numbers make sense".

Which pretty well summed up Obie's position as well.

Never blame a player for a contract an owner agreed to pay him. Armstead is a good receiver probably worth 100k for someone looking for a #2 or #3 receiver. Outside of the Eskimos and Argos I can't see any team remotely interested.

Its about getting a player you want. cats wanted him but didnt get him and thats the only thing I care about. What he makes doesnt matter, what is offered doesnt matter but the fact the cats wanted him and couldnt make it work does matter. If 80k is what it takes to sign 2000 yard man then shame on the cats for not getting it done.

Montreal offered him $80,000.

Jason will be bouncing
up and down on one foot

trying to kick his own ***
with his other foot

after his agent makes
a phone call to his 6th
and last CFL team

and he finally realizes that
he was far better off with
what Obie offered him here.

But the basis of your previous rants was that the org. was cheap and depriving the team of talent by not paying the “going rate” whatever the heck that means.

Now you say “it doesnt matter”.

I thought the art of the flip-flop was already mastered in here but suddenly we have a new contestant in the mix.

You totally missed my point (not that I'm surprised...). We don't know what O'Bie was offering, only that Armstead declined the offer. He was then cut. Now he's asking $80k. Bet he's kicking himself in his own posterior right now...

The Ticats do not have cap issues or at least shouldn't and Armstead was their #1 receiver. I would be surprised their "amateur" camp discoveries match anything Armstead would have given them. To make things worse the Only team that may need to cut quality receivers is Montreal and they will give them away to Edmonton before they put them on waivers for Obilovich to snatch for nothing.

But that's just my opinion

I dont care what he makes. I do care that the cats wouldnt pay it. Good players cost top dollar and I want them to pay it. I will ignore you zontar because you dont pay attention. If they wont pay armstead then fine, pay someone else but they dont do it.

Oh...he's not asking for 80k he was offered 80k.
Thinking he's looking for something like 125k or so. A big number when rosters are pretty much set.

The Ticats do not have cap issues or at least shouldn't and Armstead was their #1 receiver. I would be surprised their "amateur" camp discoveries match anything Armstead would have given them. To make things worse the Only team that may need to cut quality receivers is Montreal and they will give them away to Edmonton before they put them on waivers for Obilovich to snatch for nothing.

But that’s just my opinion

Yep. couldnt pay armstead but could pay jojo. thats all anyone needs to know. As for kicking himself for asking 80k now, how does anyone know what obie offered him? and why does anyone care? he is here or he isnt and obie wanted him and didnt get him so no matter what numbers were tossed about the bottom line is that for 80k someone will have a 2000yard player and the fact that its not us bothers me.

You’ve been chasing your own tail through this whole thing you cant even tell the game is done and you lost.

Popp just gave you the proof. He made his offer of what he thought he was worth and how it can fit in the cap: Take it or leave it.

Which is exactly what Obie did.

Does that make Popp “cheap” too? .

And it should. What is interesting is that when Mitchell presented Obilovich he commented on how hard (read expensive) it had been to secure Obilovich. There was really no need to rush this issue with Armstead. At least go through camp and see if you got better value to put on the field. Really same issues as last season plague this team. A bunch of guys trying to prove they are smarter then the guys before them.

What I'm affraid is going to happen is that Bob Young is going to wake up sometime this summer and realized someone else took his money and didn't improve this team any more then the existing talent maturing and that's too bad.

But that's just my opinion :slight_smile: