Argos vs TFC

I don't want to hear about how TFC is more popular then the Argos. The new head of MLSE was just quoted that TFC is down to 200 season ticket holders! Wow

hmmm...how many people have season tickets to the TTC? Or does TTC even still exist?

I guess MLSE will now be including tfc seasons tix in the leafs ticket package, kinda like the raptors.

200?
is that a typo flutie or did you mean 2,000? (not impressive either)

Is there a source on this?

He also said this:

There’s also the one that got away — an NFL franchise. Leiweke couldn’t manage it in L.A. with an aging owner in Anschutz who, by all accounts, wasn’t terribly interested. He can’t manage it here since all NFL teams must, by rule, be owned by individuals rather than corporations. He still can’t stop talking about it. Earlier in the day, he has called the prospect of an NFL team in Toronto “intriguing.? Is that a realistic ambition? “The best way to get the NFL here is to be quiet and do the work behind the scenes. So I’ve been reminded today after that comment came out that we should be quiet and we will.?

not surprising considering Leiweke also recently stated the following:

[b]Bringing the NFL to Toronto would also add to the MLSE brand and Leiweke would like to add that to the stable of teams.

"It is a safe bet to say we'll have some role there, to be determined, but that's on our radar screen," he said. "I know the league well and if we can help in that, we will certainly try to help."[/b]

Why is this even a topic?

Out drawing soccer is not a big deal, worry about the Argo's own attendance, 18 000 pathetic for football. Worry about why nobody wants to own the Argo's and why it has taken a existing CFL owner to save them .

[b]“The best way to get the NFL here is to be quiet and do the work behind the scenes. So I’ve been reminded today after that comment came out that we should be quiet and we will.?[/b]
this quote specifically, is very telling.

first off, Leiweke was "reminded" to "be quiet" about securing an NFL team in Toronto..

Who reminded him to be quiet about it?
Commissioner Goodell? Paul Godfrey? Ted Rogers jr? Larry Tanenbaum? Phil Lind? Rob Ford? Ralph Wilson?
All or some of the above?

and secondly, that from now on in they "will work behind the scenes"

certainly sounds as if a few wheels are in motion as we speak... :frowning:

It's 200, you can hear the podcast on TSN radio 1050 with Wheeler

No big deal really. According to the front page of the Toronto Star, the Argos are not even one of the main teams in T.O, but the Star Said TFC is. If you live in T.O then you must hear all the time how far behind the Argos are from the other teams. Yet here we have a major T.O sports team with 200 season tickets, to the Argos 10,000. TFC have been playing in front of family and friends for the last 3 years and the Raptors are not far behind them. Yet not one story on TFC or the Raptors inflating their numbers, only the Argos get that mention in the media. Sure we should be concern with the 18,000 but does that mean we can't also acknowledge the fact that flnally a little truth came out. Just points to the fact that the media does not rag on the business end of MLSE teams, because you don't want your leaf access cut off. I can only image the media fallout if the Argos were down to 200 season tickets.

This is what he said in the article.

Its once-loyal fan base of ‘Red Army’ season ticketholders has dropped to 200 from 800 in recent years, Leiweke said

I wonder if he is referring to the Red Patch Boys and not season ticket holders in general. Being new to the job, he likely doesn't even know the name of the teams biggest supports group.

I always was under the impression there was a waiting list for TFC. Anyways, it doesn't matter, two different fanbases I would say.

That's always been part of MLSE and Rogers munipulation of the media and their ability to control their message via the media

He was asked by who. He replied the people interesting in bringing the NFL here. Tanenbaum and Godfrey would be good guesses.

So where is your link? And why should we care and why does it always have to be Argos VS TFC or Argos VS Jays or Argos VS NFL with you guys?

If you had bothered to do a little research you would have found that YES if you measure attendance TFC is more popular - 19,000 average so far.

http://mlsattendance.blogspot.com.es/

Ticket prices have been rolled back something like 25 Percent vs last year. That's the equivalent of 5000 fans. How is 19 000 average better than the Argos 25 000 average ?

Leiweke brought David Beckham to the Los Angeles Galaxy, transforming the city’s soccer scene and MLS in the process. Toronto FC’s support has declined with the team’s underperformance. Its once-loyal fan base of ‘Red Army’ season ticketholders has dropped to 200 from 800 in recent years, Leiweke said.

“We had the best brand in Major League Soccer,? he said. “We’ve done a lot of damage to the brand.?