Argo's to play preseason game at Varsity stadium

According to Drew from Hamilton Spectator , Argo's will play their home preseaon game June 20th at U of T's Varsity stadium against the Alouettes. This stadium, albeit fairly modern only seats 5000 fans ,....should be interesting to see what the Argo's have in mind, if anything , as far as more seating goes

Cool!! :thup:

Great call by the Argos..... :thup:

Reading in The Globe that it's the first game at Varsity in 55 years. I was there where everyone was assembled for the 100th Grey Cup march with the commish and Russ Jackson on Grey Cup Sunday. Excellent that the Argos have been able to work with the Univ. Toronto on this.

It may be the lack of Rogers Centre Availability being spun off by the Argos and CFL as something historical. I ccan't see them putting too much money into extra seating but could be marketed as a made for TV event on TSN with the game preceded with a half hr special on the Argos and the history of Varsity Stadium.

Great idea.
This is a great move by the CFL. It shows Rogers that the club is serious about exploring alternative options. The club does not have the muscle that Rogers has, so it has to show some of its cards.

Well said depop. Not "spun off" at all by the Argos, Braley said to Rogers you want too much money to turn the stadium around so we'll look elsewhere. That to me is not being "spun off" at all. Rogers wants the dough, they are jealous of the Argos I think in some respects, their stadium doesn't work for the CFL and have had to reduce ticket prices for the "almighty" NFL to try and make their outdated POS bowl look relevant to keep the NFL their to prop up their Blue Jays. There is a reason why Veterans Stadium, Riverfront, Three Rivers, Fulton Country stadiums are gonzo, they are old bowl stadiums that leave fans a long ways away with poor sightlines, like the RC, that were crap and the RC will be down as well come time, it's another one of those dressed up with a roof that closes and opens. But guess what? The Giants and Jets don't need a dome and they are hosting the Super Bowl.

The Argos will eventually have to figure out a stadium situation but without Rogers Centre those who believed that the Argos would have had to move out of Toronto would have been right. The Argos are O-2 when it comes to a being part of a stadium project in Toronto. There will be one more shot with the Pan Am games track and field stadium on the campus of York.
Can you say the Guelph Argos

I was there too! That march down Yonge street was a blast! They should do that every year, maybe to start the season.

Just to clarify , At the time The Sky Dome was built and ( tenders were reviewed and several designs for a state of the art stadium with a retractable roof , which the designers of the one of a kind in the world Sky Dome WON!) the prerequsit of the design being that the stadium be flexible as to accomodate BOTH the Argonautes and the Blue Jays.

The Sky dome was not built for a NFL or American size field. It actually has very good site lines for both CFL football and baseball.
It is bordering on crimminal the way the CFL has been treated by a building owner that aquired the Sky Dome for 4%(how did that happen?) of the cost it took to build!!!

It's a horrible place to watch a game, bleacher seats on one side only and crammed in like sardines, plus a stupid track sorrounding.

Now that I agree with that was criminal that they allowed a private sector buy the venue for a bag of beans and basically make the Argos 2nd class citizens. Even more criminal is that the still city owned and built BMO stadium has allowed the MLSE to dictate that it be an soccer only facility. That was a huge crime and for MLS soccer???
The Argos winning the Grey Cup has got to be killing the MLSE/Rogers partnership since non of their franchises have won a championship in almost two decades. With the Grey Cup being the biggest single sporting event in Canada it is hard to hide the fact.

You are right but it was the Ontario government that unloaded the Dome for a song and it was the federal government in 2001 gave MLSE the richest hockey org in North America $50 Million to build the AC centre.
But the Rogers Centre is still the best stadium location - it's on a subway line, rail line, bus route, streetcar route, a highway runs by it for easy access, plenty of parking around and underneath, there's even an airport within ferry distance.
Hotels within walking distance, you can stay in a hotel and WALK to the stadium.
At least in Montreal the Big Owe was in a run down area of the East end a long way from the downtown so moving to Molson in the downtown was a nice change, it was close to everything.
In Toronto they are talking about the opposite thing - let's move from a stadium that is centrally located with everything a stadium needs and move out to York or somewhere else? if the Argos don't work in the Rogers Centre they aren't going to work anywhere else.

So why talk about a new venue? the complaints are laughable because people are saying "you have to build us a new stadium because we aren't getting enough fans to Argo games and there are too many empty seats".
I have a suggestion - "How about filling the Rogers Centre to make it more fan friendly"??

Everything you say mikem is true, however , what you failed to point out is the Argo's may get the boot by Rogers in the next 3 or 4 years if they go to natural grass which is on the books for the Jays. The argo's need to have a plan B if that happens.
What Plan B is, none of us , including the Argo's know , maybe York or a revamped BMO field , it certainly won't be Varsity Centre. So what I am saying is the Argos may wish to stay at the Dome long term but it may not be possible if their landlord evicts them . In my opinion The Argo's really got screwed by MLSE and The City when BMO was built for soccer only .

It actually has very good site lines for both CFL football

Is that a joke Mass? I've sat in most places in the Skydump for football and have found generally the sightlines very poor personally which includes being very far away from the field. I'd rather watch in a high school field with a couple of bleachers. The lack of atmosphere in the place especially with the roof closed though is the killer especially with 25,000 people it it, I feel I'm in some sort of a tomb and not connected to the game at all.

But basically as Pike says Rogers has told the Argos in no uncertain terms to find a different place to play with the grass situation a real possibility so it doesn't matter if some people might like the place or not including anyone associated with the Argos, they need to start looking asap. Also, if I'm the Argos do I want to be in a situation with the lack of dates I would like to have? Not at all.

[b]mikem wroe: You are right but it was the Ontario government that unloaded the Dome for a song and it was the federal government in 2001 gave MLSE the richest hockey org in North America $50 Million to build the AC centre. But the Rogers Centre is still the best stadium location - it's on a subway line, rail line, bus route, streetcar route, a highway runs by it for easy access, plenty of parking around and underneath, there's even an airport within ferry distance. Hotels within walking distance, you can stay in a hotel and WALK to the stadium. At least in Montreal the Big Owe was in a run down area of the East end a long way from the downtown so moving to Molson in the downtown was a nice change, it was close to everything. In Toronto they are talking about the opposite thing - let's move from a stadium that is centrally located with everything a stadium needs and move out to York or somewhere else? if the Argos don't work in the Rogers Centre they aren't going to work anywhere else.

So why talk about a new venue? the complaints are laughable because people are saying "you have to build us a new stadium because we aren't getting enough fans to Argo games and there are too many empty seats".
I have a suggestion - "How about filling the Rogers Centre to make it more fan friendly"??[/b]

Incredulous as it may seem, I actually agree with mikem for the most part. :o

During the infancy years of the Skydome (late 80's-early 90's) it was not uncommon for the Argos to attract a 40,000 patronage, and with great acclaim and praise/approbation for such a wondrous stadium.

Nary a complaint was heard at that time.

however, a mere decade or so later, the Skydome was ferociously villified and criticized as the worst stadium in the country, and with increasing regularity to date, juxtaposed with declining attendance over the years.

simply put, greater attendance equates to a greater atmosphere and more enjoyable fan experience regardless of the sport.

If the Argos could garner 35,000+ fans to home games, a reduction in the condemnation of the Skydome/RC will likely result.

tangle, I was there with 53,000 in it for the Grey Cup and I still hated it. You ask Blue Jays fans who will be packing it for opening day and I bet the majority would want a true baseball stadium but they have no choice. Also, it was built with sightlines for baseball as a priority over football.

Rogers bought it for $25 mill, if it an excellent stadium, it would not have come that cheap, no way in the world. Think about it, $25 mill! :o

Earl, your comments do have have merit and there are likely many who will agree with you.

My conveyance however, was merely that Skydome complaints were few and far between during the era of higher attendance for Argo home games, yet a proliferation of criticism emerged once attendance declined in subsequent years.

Let's talk baseball fans though. My uncle is a huge baseball nut in Toronto and hates it and the Jays don't pack it game in game out as they used to when the place opened and for a few years after. When new stadiums like Camden Yards etc. were opened and stadiums like Veterans, Three Rivers etc. Skydome bowl stadiums were torn down and replaced, people realized it wasn't a well designed stadium. As you can see, slope and distance:

Earl
When people say a new stadium is needed and all games will be sold out i ma not sure how true that is look at Miami they sold out there first few games then all other games after attendance dropped big time.