Argos to Fold? From Damien Cox opinion piece in the Toronto Star

Like the anonymous toronto bid on saints franchise story that they dropped Grey cup Sunday morning. 2013 (?) Even Sun media put it on front page.

1 Like

Ah yes the NFL would be dumb enough to give a Super Bowl city like New Orleans to go to an unproven Canadian market.

I thought the Bills were moving to Toronto.

Or was it the Rams, Chargers, Jaguars, the Raiders , all franchises that are having stadium issues at the time.

Wouldn’t want to end the season in October. It may take away from the Blue Jays :rofl:

1 Like

IIRC Saints owners wanted stadium reno and wanted the state and city to pay for it ( of course) or else. Point was there was a toronto based group that had the resources for a competitive bid for an NFL franchise.
Rogers media, Brunt were geeked up for weeks, months over this. “Only a matter of time” etc…

2 Likes

Only a matter of time since the Jays came into existence and since the Skydome opened in 1989.

Hey maybe it still can happen :joy:

1 Like

Who in Canada has half a Billion for a franchaise that will probably suck?

1 Like

Half a billion?
More like 2 for a franchise and 2 for a stadium.

7 Likes

Like clockwork, every year around GC time you can count on some ugly press coming out of Toronto.

4 Likes

That’s US dollars not Trurenminbi

Even the most defiant CFL hater knows that the Argos are not standing in the way of a NFL franchise in Toronto. It's the Toronto football fan (or lack thereof)
If the Argos were drawing 40k to 50k per game the NFL may be intrigued (anyone remember the Baltimore Stalions?)

Toronto has sucked at supporting football at any level including the Varsity level and the 5 year NFL experiment- which was disastrous!
Where were all those so called NFL fans then. So for those that say it's NFL or bust are just plain wrong. There may have been a NFL franchise in TO if the 5 year plan worked (of course its Rogers who ran that show a more competent organizer may have proven different results. )

Perhaps Toronto should just be without football period. I would miss saying ARGOS SUCK too much. Then again Leafs have sucked for almost 60 years and blow jays have sucked for almost 30 years and are both far more inept than Argos....even that can be replaced.

4 Likes

I think Toronto would support an NFL team, I just don't see the motivation of the existing owners. Why share the broadcast revenue with another team? Who wants a smaller piece of pie?

It would be great to see the Argos supported and stable, but somehow they've held on with 30 plus years of doom and gloom.

1 Like

IMHO,
I don't think the NFL will allow a franchise to TOR as long as a CFL team is there.
If the Argos relocated to another city, they would have a franchise almost immediately

1 Like

Toronto's chances of getting a NFL franchise are on par with Hamilton's chances of getting a NHL franchise.

6 Likes

I just can't see them going from 32 teams to 33. It's like adding another star to the US flag. haha.

1 Like

If Hamilton secures an NHL franchise then Toronto would want one too.

6 Likes

Toronto cant afford the NFL.

2 Likes

Some googling shows that the average NFL attendance in 2019 was 66,151. When was the last time 66,000 people showed up for anything in Toronto? Average attendance in Dallas this year is 93,404 lowest is Washington at 51,291 still way out of Toronto's league.

3 Likes

WrestleMania twice. 2nd of the two featured Hogan vs The Rock.…there’s the XFL foreshadow :laughing:

1 Like

Imagine a billionaire(s) asking three levels of taxpayers to build you a stadium in the financial straits ON and Canada is in and in for the forseeable future.

2 Likes

So if they only play one home game a year they are golden

2 Likes

Ugh x 10! Please, no "boring" NFL in our great country! I like how the CFL showcases the little guys like Speedy, Carey, Frankie, Gizmo, Pinball, Dressler, etc. that the NFL rejects. Even though I dislike the Argos intensely, they are part of the CFL family. So, I say on bended knee (I think I just threw up in my mouth!): Please, MLSE, keep the Argos going and do a better job of selling the brand!

4 Likes