Argos to Announce Signing Barnes Soon

I guess Argos are just trying to raid Edmontons offensive closet

Surprised by this.

Why are you surprised? I’m not, not in the least.

Argos’ receiving corps was the weakest in the league last season (and for a few seasons before that).

They now have Ricky Ray, so they need some guys for him to throw to.

Barnes and Ray have some familiarity with each other.

So it makes a lot of sense to me. . .

for a sec, I thought joe barnes was comming out of retirement :slight_smile:

Why was Barnes released to begin with?
He just completed his best year as a pro and was considered one of the Esks better receivers..

am I missing something here? :?

he was released by the Esks months before this. so the Argo's didn't raid anyone's talent.

Another good acquisition, now all we need is Fantuz on the other side and that would be an awesome triangle.

It certainly would, if the Argo’s have any cap room. Although I am of the belief that the Argo’s will ignore the cap and the league will turn a blind eye.

sask goes over the cap every year and the league seems to not care

Toronto will probably take a fine for a chance at the grey cup

although I don't really want fantuz tbh

Saskatchewans cap violations will pale next to the Argo’s this year, just wait and see. The league will do everything in it’s power, short of fixing the game to assure a Toronto victory.

Why? There’s a lot more money to be made if both teams in the Grey Cup are “visiting” teams. Having the host city’s team playing in the Cup (as in Vancouver last season) reduces hotel bookings, restaurant meals, and all the other ancillary income with two teams and two teams’ sets of fans coming to town.

Can't be surprised at Barnes leaving for Toronto instead of resigning with Edmonton. Would you rather catch throws from a hall-of-fame QB like Ricky Ray or a career scrub like Steve Jyles?

Goo luck Eskimos..ooohhhh!

Not questionning the quality of the player. Just that Tillman released him to give him an opportunity to test the NFL and had a gentlemen’s agreement that he would return if he didn’t make an NFL roster.

How do you figure the league doesn’t care? There are rules to the cap, it is called a soft cap, the league is enforcing the rules that are apart of the soft cap. Sask pays the price, if your team could afford it and not give up a draft pick, why not?

With Shell and Copeland gone that definitely gave them some cap breathing room. Quit crying.

And Parker and Eiben and Murphy. They’ve pretty much gutted their entire defense. Looks like they are putting all their money on the offense side of the ball and Jones is going to have to build himself a defense with kids and cuts.

He automatically becomes their best receiver by far. That says it all. Barnes had a great season last year and I expect him to continue, but Jim Barker better have more up his sleeve.

Are the Argos going over the cap this year? Somebody isn't gonna get paid on that team :lol:

And Parker and Eiben and Murphy. They've pretty much gutted their entire defense. Looks like they are putting all their money on the offense side of the ball and Jones is going to have to build himself a defense with kids and cuts.
That's addition by subtraction. Wideside CB is the easiest position to play in the CFL secondary. And it's not like Parker didn't have more than his share of blown coverage and missed tackles last year. I'm looking forward to a team signing Parker so that Ricky Ray can take his turn burning him for someone else next year. Eiben was benched early in the season last year and then tore a pec and missed the rest of the year. So it's not like they'll miss his contribution from 2011. And when Murphy blew out his knee halfway through the year Coughman stepped in and played BETTER than Murphy had. There's not too many 35 year old LTs in the CFL - - especially ones coming off major knee injuries.

[/quote]
Not saying there is anything wrong with what they are doing. They want a team that puts points on the board, that is exciting to watch but replacing almost your entire defense will make it difficult to get to the GC THIS SEASON IMO.