Argos still getting kicked around and they aren't playing

Interesting interview here with Bob Stellick about MLSE and possibly being bought by a US firm. Anyways, he mentions the Argos in this:

The beauty of sport is if you’re really good or really bad, and people are arguing about you on the street, at least they care. The scariest part in sports, if people don’t even know you’re not playing - like the poor Argos. People say, “Oh yeah, the Argos they play in Toronto.? But are you going to go? “No.? That’s unfortunate. It’s kind of scary. The Argos had a bad season. Have you had a beer with anyone who passionately argued about the Argos? So that’s the key.

http://www.globaltoronto.com/qa/6442523174/story.html

Well, I guess the Argos are being talked about by Bob Stellick though. And being kicked around by their own sort of. :wink:

I still say that David Braley will turn that franchise around.
It will start with a QB (Hank Burris?)
I do not think that Braley will give up on them.
Without Braley the Boatmen will sink.

That's funny, I've never, ever heard anyone start a conversation about the Toronto Raptors and I don't know when the last time was that I heard anyone talk about the Blue Jays. Yet I've heard many people talk about the Argos. And..... he can't say " they may not talk about them but they get great attendance for the Raptors and the Blue Jays.

MLS attendance... 17 000 average exactly the same as it was in its first year 1996... LOL ! That's growth...

[url=http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4ebd77996bb3f7c43f00002d/mls-attendance.jpg]http://static7.businessinsider.com/imag ... ndance.jpg[/url]

Argos are easy to prey on as no one dare touch an MLSE owned team or Rogers team. But a team owned by an individual who doesn't live in Toronto, easy prey. Lots of people like Mr. Stellick are too afraid of MLSE and Rogers.

My read on things is that the Argos' fans may be few in number but they really care about the team. The Raptors may have marginally more fans (and that's debatable) but their allegiance to the team is weak. The Jays are the real after-thought in Toronto these days. You can't give their tix away. The Leafs are light years ahead of everyone else in terms of fan interest and that boggles my mind.

I remember Stellick doing an interview years ago when he said that everything he learned at business school was blown out of the water by the Leafs organization because no matter how well or badly the business was run, the fans still came out and they still made tons of money.

An Argo-Cat fan

;)

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Of which is a know fact, how one third of these tickets "sold" are packaged as free 2 for one or deeply discounted.

Didn't realize that ArgoT. Stellick didn't mention that, of course.

The Leafs are light years ahead of everyone else in terms of fan interest and that boggles my mind.

Boggles my mind as well Barney. Again, would any writer in Toronto touch that one? :?

Yes but they've managed to increase the franchise fees to something absurd (50 Million I think), lol. When most teams are not profitable I think we can consider it to be a Ponzi scheme.

geroy_simon_081 wrote:

"Yes but they've managed to increase the franchise fees to something absurd (50 Million I think), lol. When most teams are not profitable I think we can consider it to be a Ponzi scheme."

Good line, geroy, that's funny!!

Maybe that's what the Argos need to FINALLY generate some spenders and a profit!!!

What's even more absurd is that there is ample interest at that price.

Wealthy individuals are not necessarily the brightest bulbs.

This may be a dumb question, but who is Bob stellick?

Drummer_god wrote:

"This may be a dumb question, but who is Bob stellick?"

He heads a marketing company. The following is from his company's website:

"This belief springs from decades-long relationships with members of the sports media, and from experience in helping corporations communicate in a meaningful way with the millions of Canadians who are passionate about sport, from tyke to professional.

We do not represent athletes, events or sports properties. Therefore our counsel – whether it concerns investing in a new property or creating a program to help you leverage an existing sponsorship – is free from conflicts of interest. From grassroots to professionally based projects, our passion for sports is reflected in our work.

Led by Bob Stellick’s more than 25 years experience with the Toronto Maple Leafs and with the business of sport, Stellick Marketing Communications features a determined team ready to service the marketing, communications and media relations needs of those engaged in the business of sport. In fact, we are ready to service those engaged in any business that relies on sound marketing, clear communications, seamless event management, effective writing and resonant counsel."

he is also Gord Stellick's brother. Gord, who was a former Leaf GM and broadcaster on the Fan in Toronto.

Good question dg and thanks old fan, I actually was wrongly assuming it was Gord Stellick.