Argos sign QB Lemon

The Argos still must sign an experienced CFL QB. While I've never seen Lemon play, from his comments he's going to have an uphill battle. He's 30 yrs old and has been out of football for a year. He's "going" to be in the best shape ever and he's "going" to learn all he can about the CFL. We can give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he does in training camp, but he'll be competing with guys who will be in tip-top CFL shape and already know the league. I'd give Hamdan the nod as backup at this point over Lemon...if only because he was concentrating on football last season. Hamdan has also played a fair bit in NFLE, earning MVP honours.

We also shouldn't discount D. Bell. His two years of studying and watching the CFL will be invaluable experience, despite him not playing in Sask. This knowledge of Canadian football will give Brannigan a boost also.

when Barker was asked about not having a qb with cfl experience... he said there is no proven Qb's available that can even string together 4 wins in a row. so why waste a draft pick or money them?

Barker is correct, where did giving away picks for a prospect QB get Mike Kelly ?

I like that Barker is putting some sweat equity in finding players. Lemon is not a bum, he has all the tools to make it and he's the same age Joseph was when he came in the league, What it will come down to is who can improve the most in 4 weeks...

There is also the chance that something else could fall in his laps by the time TC comes around.

People have to remember how late this team got staffed. I think they are moving forward very well.

I have to say, adding to chiefs first comment, only the argos would knowingly sign a lemon :slight_smile:

maybe someone thought 5/7th of another clemons would still be better than most :slight_smile:

I think Toronto’s QB situation is about dead-even with Winnipeg’s at the moment.

I would much rather be in Winnipegs shoes since Jyles has several years experiece and has played in meaningful games.
Also their back ups are all returning, Santos and Laforest.

…i guess someone can see the real situation as far as the qbs go eh arte…and that’s from an argo fan :lol: The Bomber qbs. are certainly NOT deep in CFL experience…HOWEVER they look to be a lot more ‘seasoned’ at the CFL game than the boatmen at present… :wink:

How do you figure that one ?

The Bombers have 4 QBs with some 10 years experience in the league between them…and the Argos have a total of 1, Bell, who wasn’t even a clip board holder.

Maybe they just went for the low hanging fruit. :expressionless:

a girls worst nightmare :smiley:

evn with the ten years of experince the bombers have... who cares. it hasnt gotten those players anywhere. we complain no one wants to develope new QB's, then we talk tarsh on the argos for taking a risk. so many of the CFL qbs out there are crappy. someone has to do something to change.

Oh yea crappy QB's in the CFL, but let's look at the alternative Hamden in 6 years has thrown 2 regular season passes and Lemon what got cut from his last team and did nothing in Miami.
How some of you believe these two are better than let's say Pierce with his injury risk, Dinwiddie or even Bisho is beyond words.

What’s beyond words is how you seem to think Bishop can suddenly turn into Peyton Manning. Is the guy related to you in any way? If he is, I could maybe understand… otherwise, I’m just confused.

I am equally confused why some of you hate Bishop so much?

I still think they should give Ritchie williams a call, whereever he is.

dont confuse dissing a players skills, or in this case brains, with hating the man.

Yeah, I'm indifferent toward the man. I just think he's a terrible QB. Not to mention we've all discussed Joseph's age, well, Bishop isn't that far behind him. I just checked, and he turns 34 in May.

i dont know what the new quarterbacks will be like. but the fact is, with the available qb's with cfl experience out there, a team is better to go with an unproven non cfl back instead of giving the dead weight qb's chance after chance. why winnipeg ever called bishop last year is beyond comprehension. most likely he will never see the light of day in the cfl again. Barker himself has said its hard for NFL Qb's to adjust to the CFL game, and is often reluctant to try them out... wich is what this is... a try out. but he sees something in these guys. if they dont work out, they are gone. better then tryin out a bunch of CFL failures.

Kelly made a huge mistake in cutting his only CFL experienced qb’s in Glenn & Dinwiddie. When Lefors got hurt, he had no option. What option will Barker have ? There a difference between making a bad move and making a risky one, I didn’t realize Barker was such a gambler.

I agree here and don’t see how the matter is so risky considering the Argos woeful performance the last two seasons.

The “new blood” strategy seems rather simple in that he’s getting a bunch of qualified new guys in the corral to run them around and narrow down the list to perhaps three plus one on the practise squad after training camp.

If you don’t like any of the guys in contention even before they get a run so what? What alternatives are there considering that it is highly likely that existing CFL backups and journeymen have been considered and dismissed already by the Argos anyway? If those has-been or washed-up CFL backups are so darn good why are not other teams interested NOW? Go sell them to a willing buyer and not the Argos if you feel so strongly about those guys.