Argos sign QB Chad Kelly

TORONTO — The Toronto Argonauts have signed American QB Chad Kelly.

Kelly, 27, was acquired by the Boatmen via a trade with Edmonton in October of 2021 as a negotiation list player. Kelly was drafted in the seventh-round of the 2017 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos and spent two seasons in Colorado before a two-year stint with Indianapolis from 2019-2020.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/02/11/argos-sign-qb-chad-kelly/

"Man I am so fired up !!!! Let’s gooo Toronto !!! I’m so ready to get up there and win !!!"
Sounds like MBT better keep his head up. Maybe his starter's job isn't as secure as he may think.

1 Like

One thing Chad doesn’t lack is unbridled enthusiasm…

“Beyond ecstatic !!! June 16th can’t come sooner !!! Glad to be a part of the longest standing franchise in North America !”#Chasing18

Hopefully, he keeps his head to the grindstone and churns out a decent career in the CFL.
It would be nice if this leads to some kindling interest with the Argos as there are many Jim Kelly/Buffalo Bills fans in southern Ontario.
Not holding my breath but the optimist in me always goes against the grasp of reality. Lol

2 Likes

Hey, don't complain about optimism, I have terminal realism. It can really be a drag sometimes😜
:notes:Always look on the bright side of life!:notes:

1 Like

:notes:doo doo, doo doo, doo doo, dee doooooooooooooooooooooooooo :notes:
All together now!!

2 Likes

"We're members of the Toronto Argonauts Fan Club!"

"Oh yeah? I'm in the Argonauts of Toronto Fanclub!"

"SPLITTER!!!"

2 Likes

Not only is Chad brimming with enthusiasm, but also the (over)confidence to go with it.
To be honest, I’d love nothing more than for his lofty goals to come true. It would be great for the league and may stir up some interest south of the border as well.

“My goal is to be the starter and be the face of the league,” Kelly told Ole Miss fan site, Spaghetti Junction Boys.
And in a recent radio appearance on TSN 1050’s Game Play, Kelly told host Matthew Cauz that his year one goal was to be on the same level as one of the greatest CFL quarterbacks of all-time.
“I know I saw that Doug Flutie threw for 5,000 or 6,000 yards in a couple years and I want to be like him. I want to be able to throw for that many yards and take off and run when need be,” Kelly said. “He was a Toronto Argonaut, why not?”

2 Likes

At least he is willing to be the face of the league unlike Manziel who broke his testing agreement to bolt for the failed AAF

1 Like

Yep. Manziel knew early on that he couldn’t cut the mustard up here and devised an out plan by deliberately sabotaging his provisional agreement with league office.
Didn’t Manziel once state that he was going to tear up the CFL?
More like the CFL tore him a new one instead.

In any event, Chad Kelly seems like a driven fellow on a quest for redemption.
Hopefully he puts the work in and plays lights out as the CFL need a new crop of skilled QBs for this generation.

1 Like

June Jones said that Manziel would be a great CFL QB. He was mislead

Hehe yeah forgot about that.
Jones could never make a living as a soothsayer…

“I think he'd be the best player to ever play up here,” Jones said. “He can throw it and he can run it like nobody ever has been able to do.”

2 Likes

Chad had those terrific numbers in preseason and STILL got cut? Talk about a tough crowd. Be patient with this diamond in the rough Toronto fans. He might just put his performance where his mouth is.
RodneyNoRespect

"You get a free bowl of soup with this hat? But it looks good on you, Judge" :roll_eyes: Caddy Shack

1 Like

And I'm sure that Jim Kelly probably said that his little nephew Chad would one day be a great QB as well .

Well we all know that June was wrong . So is there any bets that uncle Jim is wrong as well ?

P.S ...just for the record I was one of Manziel's biggest (if not the biggest) detractors in these forums when he signed up here . Guess what ? I was right 100% about him being a total flop and bust and a waste of space and my gut instincts are telling me that this wonder kid Chad Kelly is going to be no different .

2 Likes

That's indigestion. You can take some Pepto Bismol for that. Just kidding.

I thought Manziel would take to the CFL game. The CFL was tailor made for him very much like Flutie. But, he didn't have the patience to learn the 3 down game while Flutie did. Sure Manziel threw 4 interceptions in a game but I thought he'd let that slide off his mind and build from that and improve his craft. He chicken out and headed back to U S of A.

I want to see Kelly perform in several games before I make my judgement

1 Like

A million others had the same opinion. A million geniuses just as brilliant as you.

1 Like

"I'll bet you were really something before electricity!" :grin:

1 Like

I think in this scene Rodney is saying, "You wanna earn $10 dollars the hard way?". LOL!

1 Like

I was also in that camp predicting he could have been an All-Star
He had all the talent in the world

Personality killed his chances
He bombed out of everywhere, even the AAF and FCF

1 Like

Jim Kelly cut his teeth in the old USFL (Houston) because the NFL never gave him a shot
If USFL had not existed there was a very good chance he could have played in CFL

Indianapolis and Denver both passed on Chad Kelly not because he was untalented but because they both had "better" options to start

2 Likes