Argos should have been able to play at BMO field

I was driving home from work yesterday afternoon, listening to Dave Naylor on TSN radio.

He was relating a story that a while ago he received an email from a listener who provided a link to the minutes of a Toronto city council meeting. In those minutes there was a discussion about the building of BMO field. Apparently, a condition of the city financing this facility was that it be amendable for CFL football, and the Toronto Argonauts being able to use it. Approval was passed based, among other things, on that promise.

When Naylor followed up on this new development with a city spokesperson they told him essentially, it can be used for football, if they knock out the end zone and extend it. Needless to say, Dave didn't find that idea very economical or practical.

I don't think the Argos are interested in BMO field or they would have forced the issue. Myself. I don't know what the appeal is.

Not sure myself. Although it would have made sense that they might have initially considered the move. The measurements and the configuration of the field likely made them look in another direction.

The point that Dave raised yesterday is that for all this time, the soccer crowd claims that facility as being their's alone, when the truth was that it was never intended to be. And since ALL of the city taxpayers covered the cost, it should not have been built for the exclusive consideration of a single group.

I don't think there is a problem with a city the size of Toronto building a Soccer only stadium but why not also build a Football only stadium ?

Taxpayers have enough to pay for. It would have been more fiscally responsible to build a multipurpose facility that would be idle less often then two that would see half of the usage. Not to mention the possibility of what happens should one of these teams move or dissolve.

Not everyone is a sports fan or can afford the tickets. Let's take these people into consideration too.

Exactly.
We need a football only stadium, like the beauty the Peg just built.
On top of which BMO is a dump, a glorified bleacher like high school stadium.
Not for me thanks, in fact I would give up my season tickets if the Argos ever considered such a move.

Let's keep in mind while you're tallying up the cost, that this place will only be used for 10 dates a year. The one in Winnipeg will be shared between the Bombers and the university.

I don't know if you have been to BMO and walked around the outside of it but it is impossible to put a CFL field in there even if you knocked out an end zone. They would have to knock out both ends and one end is just metres from the entrance to the Food Building at the EX and when you walk in from the Food Building end you have to walk down to get to the field level.
If the Argos agreed to play on a 100 yard field with 10 yard end zones then that may be the only option.
How about playing on an NFL size field with 2 more players than the NFL plays with??? that wouldn't be good or entertaining and low scoring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMO_Field

Ok, that's fine.
The Argos can share with York University football program.
However your logic about BMO fails as this public only facility was hijacked by MLSE into a private only facility with Soccer Canada.
Despite tax dollars building this place, public use is not allowed?
Suckers all of us have become.

[mikem (said)

"I don't know if you have been to BMO and walked around the outside of it but it is impossible to put a CFL field in there even if you knocked out an end zone. They would have to knock out both ends and one end is just metres from the entrance to the Food Building at the EX and when you wak in from the Food Building end you have to walk down to get to the field level.
The Argos walked away before the stadium was designed after Rogers gave them a great deal to stay there.
[/quote]
"

They didn't walk away, they were sandbagged by the City, Soccer Canada and MLSE.

"

They didn't walk away, they were sandbagged by the City, Soccer Canada and MLSE.
[/quote]
My corrected post - I didn't say "the Argos walked away"

I don't know if you have been to BMO and walked around the outside of it but it is impossible to put a CFL field in there even if you knocked out an end zone. They would have to knock out both ends and one end is just metres from the entrance to the Food Building at the EX and when you walk in from the Food Building end you have to walk down to get to the field level. If the Argos agreed to play on a 100 yard field with 10 yard end zones then that may be the only option. How about playing on an NFL size field with 2 more players than the NFL plays with??? that wouldn't be good or entertaining and low scoring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMO_Field

Besides the only problem with Rogers Centre is that the Argos can't attract enough fans, even if they had moved to BMO if it had been designed for CFL football, they would probably attract the same amount or even less fans than they do now. Rogers Centre is more accesible by public transport and to the downtown hotels/condos etc. As soon as it got cold or started raining, Argo fans wouldn't show up!! they are spoiled with the roof and the great conditions.

Vanier, outdoor concerts, perfect size for an outdoor UFC event. New York has what four or five stadiums ? Can't see any reason why Toronto can't have 3 stadium to house their 3 outdoor sports team. 115 million is a drop in the bucket of a city with a 10 billion dollar budget.

If Toronto did get a new stadium unless its 100% private funds it won't be like the one in Winnipeg more like what Hamilton is building which is fine as there is nothign wrong with the stadium there going with.

Now as for 3 stadiums the real risk is having them in the same area is there won't be enough events to fill them take a football only stadium $115 million for 10-13 events a year is alot to spend for very few events take Ottawa people were worried about the money being spent on the stadoim which will have around 40 events in the summer/fall and for some thats still not enough.

x2

The Canadian Soccer Association spent nearly $1 million on architectural plans in 2003 for a 30,000-seat stadium at CNE, which was designed for soccer, CFL football, rugby and lacrosse.

[b]CSA unveils plan for Toronto stadium

The proposed stadium will be used as a venue for both soccer and CFL games.[/b]

TORONTO -- The Canadian Soccer Association unveiled its plans for a 30,000 seat, $82 million stadium in Toronto.

The stadium has been designed so that it perfectly meets the playing requirements of international soccer but of other rectilinear sports as well, including CFL football, rugby and lacrosse. It will seat just over 30,000 for soccer and almost 28,000 for CFL football (allowing for removable end zone seating to accommodate the longer CFL field).
...more http://www.riderfans.com/forum/archive/ ... -1937.html

Somewhere after the announcement of the multipurpose stadium by the CSA and Toronto council approval, the plans got derailed into a "soccer-only" facility, which is owned and subsidized by the city but managed by MLSE. :roll:

MLSE hijacked the process, they saw an opportunity to make money on MLS and cash in on the growing ethic demographic in Toronto and took it, it's what they do, it's another reason why you shouldn't support the Leafs or the NHL.

The Argos ownership at the night didn't fight tooth and nail to get out of the Rogers Centre when they had the chance, because lets face it, the city did initially make BMO turf, so you can't wholly blame MLSE.

Either way, the Argos aren't moving out of the dome, because some form of magic voodoo is happening with Rogers and Argos ownership. Probably that the Argos play there for free, and it's hard to argue with free. The Argos are sitting well enough with the new Grey Cup money they just earned, and if they can boost ticket sales and fan interest then that's that anyways.

This article sums up the Argos and BMO Field issue from 2009, written jut before Braley took over ownership. One of the reasons to stay was a great "rent free" deal at Rogers Centre and the most important thing too was the fact that the CFL would have to play on a shortened field at BMO.

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/argos-to-leave-rogers-centre/article1379458/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... le1379458/[/url]

As for being a public tax payer funded faciilty, yes it is and they aren't saying it's TFC only, other events are allowed there including rock concert. I don't think they have denied the Argos to play there, but the fact is, it's not a CFL field.
An NFL field would fit nicely in there. The stands right up against the 10 yard end zones and players jumping into the stands after a TD, it would be a great atmosphere.

I think with Hamilton/Ottawa/Winnipeg geting new stadiums its really going to hurt Bmo Field as before the Csa had really no choice but to hold most games therre now not so much.

If I was the Argos, I’d move practice there :slight_smile:

If I was the Argos, I’d move practice there :slight_smile: