Argos Rumours

And always make sure when you are correcting a spelling error and making fun of somebody do not use the word spelt.
Spelt is a hexaploid species of wheat.

The word you might try using instead is spelled.

8) Good one !! :wink:

Thats why RUMOURS are called RUMOURS and FACTS are being called FACTS unless it happens its just fiction people. :wink:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, you can use spelled or spelt.

"Spell:

• verb (past and past part. spelled or chiefly Brit. spelt)"

They ought to know.

Whilst the OED can say what they want about certain British spellings, just betwixt you and me, I think you’d be spinning your tyres trying to convince Canadians to accept some of them.

Again, holy crap, I was only poking a little fun, I was kidding, if I hurt your feelings I’m sorry. Now lets move on, and still be freinds! :oops: :smiley:

IMO, safetyblitz and stevehvh aren’t talking about you
correcting spelling on ticats.ca several posts back, kiwicanuk.

safetyblitz is telling stevehvh that the Oxford English Dictionary is wrong

He says the word ‘spelt’ is a British spelling probably long out of use.

i.e. just between you and me, methinks you’d be spinnning your tires

as compared to

just betwixt you and me, I think you’d be spinning your tyres

or something like that.

I’m curious. Is that spelling currrently used in New Zealand, kiwicanuk?

I regret, and made apology for, having a little fun. I accept “variant spellings” as legitimate and vow never to raise the issure again (my wife doesn’t get me to apologize this much) :slight_smile: i was born, educated (learned to spell) and even did a summer at Stelco; I bleed black and gold. So, ain’t yous guys gunna lets me alone now. And why the hell are we discussing Argos anyway :roll:

I should have stuck a smiley on my reply to stevehvh. I was good-naturedly trying to make the point that there are some British spellings that are not widely used/accepted in Canada (while some others are, go figure). I actually see “whilst” in modern academic papers from the UK all the time, but it still strikes me as strange.

"Spelt:

an ancient form of wheat, spelt flour, spelt bread

Nobody ever said the Queens English was easy. :slight_smile:

I definitely appreciated the humour in the replies to my post quoting the OED.

There are lots of cases where national/ regional spelling variations occur. MS Word's language settings allow for several. I work a lot in the Caribbean, where they use a version that is much closer to UK practices than ours is... things like "organisation", "analyse" and others of that sort. They use "spelt" and "learnt" there too.

I enjoy them all. Personally I'm not so keen on most of the US variations that remove the "u" and and can't stand usages like "lite" and "tonite" (this web site defaults to US spelling and allows those last two with no warning).

It's all good. And any way you spell it, the Argos still "su**".