Argos release St. John and Davis

Argos release 2 linemen

CBC Sports

02/03/2009 2:10:36 PM

Offensive guard Jude St. John and offensive tackle Jerome Davis have been released, the Toronto Argonauts announced Monday.

“We would like to thank Jude for all of his years of service and appreciate his contributions over the years,” Argos general manager Adam Rita said in a statement. "Jerome has been a warrior and, like Jude, has played through injuries and given us all he could.

“Our team is moving in a different direction this season and we are very excited by some of the new and returning players on our roster,” Rita added.

St. John, 36, played 181 games for Toronto after signing as a free agent with the club in 1998. He began his CFL career three years earlier with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats after playing at the University of Western Ontario.

Davis, who turns 35 on Wednesday, was in his second stint with the Argonauts. He played 43 games for Toronto overall, also suiting up in his CFL career with Hamilton and Calgary.

Since the end of a 4-14 season in 2008, a number of veterans have been released by Toronto or announced their retirement, including Chuck Winters, Michael O’Shea, Chad Folk and Chris Hardy.

Running back/kick returner Dominique Dorsey and cornerback Byron Parker signed deals with NFL clubs.

Steinhauer was also released.

Honestly, I'd take either of them in a heartbeat. They may not have it in them to be starters anymore, but I like the idea of a veteran backup (could have helped us last year when Cedric got injured)...

8) Steinhauer was released last year !!! Where have you been ????? :roll:

I don't want either of them. They are too old for us. Unfortunately you can't have old back ups. You need young back ups so that when our vets leave for more money elsewhere, we have young talent to step in.

If you sign these guys, next off season you are looking again for young o line talent. Save yourself a year and look for it now. It only makes sense.

Obie doesn't want old guys on his team. :lol: He figures one old guy is enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think we should sign St. John seeing as we are very weak at the guard spot. That leaves us with a little more breathing room going into the draft so we aren't overly loaded with OL by signing every single one we see before the draft, but we'll also be left with at least some guarantee that our line will be stronger this year.