Argos release defensive lineman Shawn Oakman

TORONTO — The Toronto Argonauts have released defensive lineman Shawn Oakman, the team announced on Tuesday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2024/06/11/argos-release-defensive-lineman-shawn-oakman

WPG is short on DL…if the other guy is any good I could see us taking a flyer on him. We need a good Nat DT

1 Like

This is a shocker from the outside.

3 Likes

I’ll never forget the sight of this gentle giant weeping on the field after the 2022 Cup, it meant so much to him after his NFL career was scuttled. He ought to catch on elsewhere in the league, but if not, I wish him the very best.

3 Likes

Oakman is a good player - i’m not sure why the Argos got rid of him. A player of his quality will have no problem landing somewhere that will appreciate him. i wish him well.

Shawn Oakman reminds me of Doug Brown. Teams were forced to double team him and somehow he would still break into the backfield with ease. Doubt we could afford him but one can dream.

VG player - he won’t be unemployed long.

Stamps could desperately use him our d line stinks

1 Like

Join Hamilton they already have 2 former Argo d linemen why not make it a trifecta

3 Likes

Nah he needs to reunite with Corey Mace.
If @BomberJunkie can dream so can I. :smiley:

Gonna miss him at BMO, love watching him play. And his name is “Oak Man” - I mean c’mon! Somebody grab him quick.

4 Likes

He was in trouble all the time at Baylor for allegedly assaulting women and things like that.

There’s no way you release him because he just can’t play. If he hadn’t gotten into trouble, he probably would have been a first round draft choice in the NFL Draft.

I bet he got into trouble again and the Argos just want him to go away and stay away.

He’s like Jerome Messam. Talented as can be, but troubled…

2 Likes

First of all he was innocent. Why does there have to be a conspiracy behind his release? He is 32 yrs old with a history of being injury prone

2 Likes

I am sure more than few teams in the West also want him

1 Like

Also a few teams I’m sure in the East are also interested .

2 Likes

Depending on Haba’s injury, 1 day later and they probably could have worked out a trade

It depends on why he was released. I might be a little gun shy of players released for pretty much no reason from Toronto.

1 Like

The fans might not know the reasons but damn sure the rest of the coaches and GMs will know

2 Likes

Or it could have been a decision to “not get involved”…

1 Like

It might be a player is disruptive to them continuity… Thrysy try to trade them but cutting them allows a team to take the chance that the player has learned a lesson or at least can be controlled for some time I recall Chis Jones being in Sask and was having to have DAILY MEETING with a certain player to keep him manageable in the locker room and on the the field on game day and on non game days when he was not in practice and just being out in public.

1 Like